Clipless Pedals - do many not use them?

H A R V

Guest
Just curious as to how many bent riders don't use Clipless Pedals?

Are there many that use DX platform pedals with some type of strap retention, such as Power Grips?

If Clipless are not used, why?

Thanks!

h a r v w e l c h (victoria bc canuckistan) Sun EZ Sport http://rideitbent.net
http://rideitbent.net/ezseries.htm

You just have to get Very familiar with the term "Anticipate."

Originally posted by H A R V
Just curious as to how many bent riders don't use Clipless Pedals?

Are there many that use DX platform pedals with some type of strap retention, such as Power Grips?

If Clipless are not used, why?

Thanks!

h a r v w e l c h (victoria bc canuckistan) Sun EZ Sport http://rideitbent.net
http://rideitbent.net/ezseries.htm

My EggBeaters are lying in the gear box; I put the flat pedals back on with toe cages (a la mt. bike
without the straps) and no more fear of the dreaded, uncool, fall due to an "afterthought" to
unclip. I noticed my husband did the same thing last week; makes it a whole lot easier in this
Easter/Spring Break stop-and-go island bike, pedestrian and vehicular traffic. For long rides and
tours, we switch to EggBeaters and Shimano SPD sandals and take our Ginko.
--
Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

> If Clipless are not used, why?
>
> Thanks!

Cause I've always had this urge to see what a mangled leg feels like.

R2D2 wrote:
> ... You just have to get Very familiar with the term "Anticipate."

Try riding both bikes and trikes. On the bike you need to remember to unclip, while on the trike you
need to remember to stay clipped in. ;)

I used to love my Look pedals and road shoes on my Tour Easy. But last summer I began to get pain in
my left foot just near the bottom of my big toe. It was diagnosed as sesamoiditis in 30 seconds by a
podiatrist. I already had orthotics. I had to switch to riding in running shoe. Now I can put my
foot in different places on the pedal and most ot the time keep the pedal in the middle of my foot.
I haven't really missed being clipped in that much. The bottom of my shoes, Nike pegasus, are very
grippy. Alan

MLB <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > If Clipless are not used, why?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> Cause I've always had this urge to see what a mangled leg feels like.

Here we go again with the scare tactics.

"chere" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My EggBeaters are lying in the gear box; I put the flat pedals back on with toe cages (a la mt.
> bike without the straps) and no more fear of the dreaded, uncool, fall due to an "afterthought" to
> unclip. I noticed my husband did the same thing last week; makes it a whole lot easier in this
> Easter/Spring Break stop-and-go island bike, pedestrian and vehicular traffic. For long rides and
> tours, we switch to EggBeaters and Shimano SPD sandals and take our Ginko.

I've had extremely good luck with Specialized BMX platform pedals. They are comfortable and the
removable pegs on the pedal do a fine job of keeping my feet "up there". I think clipless are great
for fast group rides, long road rides and tours but are a bit of an overkill for recreational and
short distance riding in town and the city. Just my opinion.

By the way, I did the last (April 12th) Moonlight ride hosted by Regis and "Wo" Smith with you all.
I was on a yellow Lightning Thunderbolt and wore a yellow helmet. Can't place your name with a face
as there were many Easy Racer bikes there:)

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

Just my opinion, but I would rather "anticipate" keeping my feet ON the pedals during a slide or
fall than "anticipating" getting OUT of clipless at a sudden stop.

I surprised myself on my last tumble... remembered to keep my feet ON the pedals and out from under
my 'ben; (thus avoiding the possible dreaded "leg suck" injury). Left me with a colorful hip for a
few weeks but no "mangles" or broken bones... no biggie.

Again, it's a matter of personal preference and vive la différence.
--
Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

On our Giros, I ride SPDs, Shimano PD M646. SPD on both sides, but in a big wide patform, suitable
for short rides with sneakers. My wife rides Shimano PD M324, SPD on one side, platform on the
other. This is a good set to start with, inexpensive, and you have the best of both worlds. BTW,
last weekend she clipped in for the first time, took very naturally to it, and is very pleased with
the increased climbing power afforded by SPDs . At first whe didn't "get it". Then I reminded her
to "scrape that dog doo off your shoe". Once she stopped laughing, she started spinning, and a star
is born...

"h a r v" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3ea4604e$1@nubby2....
> Just curious as to how many bent riders don't use Clipless Pedals?
>
> Are there many that use DX platform pedals with some type of strap retention, such as Power Grips?
>
> If Clipless are not used, why?
>
> Thanks!

> h a r v w e l c h (victoria bc canuckistan) Sun EZ Sport http://rideitbent.net
> http://rideitbent.net/ezseries.htm

I use Shimano 747s. The biggest problem I had with them was that I had to change the cleat position
(had to move the cleat closer to the heel). This cleat position was different from my upright bike.
Go figure...

Nathan Gifford

I have two bikes, one with and one without clipless shoes. I havn't put them on the second one
because I like to let others try out the BikeE. I find I have a difficult time keeping my feet
steady on the pedals without the clipless. I think I have learned to spin with the clipless which
pulls my feet slightly off the platform pedals. After riding some time with clipless I don't even
think about unclipping, it just happens. If you will put many miles on your bike I definately
suggest getting some good clipless pedals. Craig Optima Baron

[email protected] (R.White) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> MLB <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > >
> > > If Clipless are not used, why?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >

> > Cause I've always had this urge to see what a mangled leg feels like.
>
> Here we go again with the scare tactics.

"Can't place your name with a face as there were many Easy Racer bikes there:)"

LOL... I was thinking the same about you Ed. Did you receive Ted Willow's .gif? Are you standing in
the middle with your helmet over your heart between 2 guys clad in green?

I am 4 to the right of Wo (looking at the picture) in the black ERRC velvet jacket (Wo brought for
me all the way from Oregon). The jacket has a great embroidered picture of an American flag on the
back with a 'bent in the middle of it. You may have seen me "modeling" it for Wo at Coaches. I seem
to remember you sitting next to me on the porch towards the end of the evening (?)... I know what
you mean, there wasn't time to put all the faces with names. Tom Blum came up to me and introduced
himself (such a neat guy); I was glad about that since I probably wouldn't have taken the
initiative. Maybe "next time" (at some point) we should all introduce ourselves with name, email
name, and locale. I must remember to suggest this to Regis "next time"; remind me, will you?

I hope there will be a "next time"... that was great fun! My vote for the next celebrity will be
Fast Freddie! As far as I know, the famous Gardner Martin, Wo, and "Captain Freedom" have
participated in the Moonlight rides; who will be the next "celebrity rider"?
--

"R.White" wrote:

> MLB <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > >
> > > If Clipless are not used, why?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >

> > Cause I've always had this urge to see what a mangled leg feels like.
>
> Here we go again with the scare tactics.

With a trike its hardly "scare tactics".

Test it out one day. And get ready convert your trike to a wheelcahir.

John B

Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in

read the quotes again: (I said what you said :)

>> Here we go again with the scare tactics.
>
> With a trike its hardly "scare tactics".
>
> Test it out one day. And get ready convert your trike to a wheelcahir.
>
> John B

I wonder if this difference in perception stems from differences in riding "style". To "ME" a ride
isn't a ride without at least one round of "burn outs", a sprint, where I go as hard and as fast as
I can until I can't go anymore, then slow and recover and continue on. A few of those each ride
really ups the fitness level quickly. If I'm pushing as hard and as fast as I can, spinning 110+
with max push effort and I hit a bump, one of my feet is going flying, no matter HOW concentrated I
am and anticipating the impact, not so much the bump, but more the centrifigal force I think, the
bump causes your foot to disengage the pedal and momentum does the rest, throwing your foot up
and/or out. At that point your leg starts to fall to the ground, your muscles are stilling saying
"PUSH" and take that fateful millisecond to stop pushing and try to control leg. If going slow you
have some time to catch it. If going fast enough, it happens VERY quickly. I've caught it JUST in
time two different times on two different bikes. Very close to a nasty accident each time, and I
got that sour feeling in my throat from realizing I just had a REAL close call. This would happen
to me on a lot of rides in a year if I wasn't clipped in. If you never push that hard, ride at a
relaxed or even moderately brisk pace, then it is possible to never have that situation pop up. I
guess. Higher BB height seems to make this more dangerous/likely to me also. And of course the
faster you're going the faster everything happens,including the bike running over your leg, much
easier to catch it at 13mph and easy peddling than it is at 20mph and accelerating. JMO :)