Clipless Pedals for Commuting

deedubya said:
I could have written this posting! I'm presuming you bought your 95B's and MX101's at MEC.

Do you know how to maintain the petals? I had one set fail; I'm presuming due to my not greasing them. Problem is I don't know how.
I've only had mine 2 months so I don't know about failures, yet. I've never had to do maintenance on pedals, after all the bearings are sealed. If mine have the same problem I'll replace them with Shimanos, more expensive but maybe cheaper in the long term.

How much speed increase with clipless pedals?

I'm currently averaging 25 km/h on flats without cleats. Anymore than that it gets uncomfortable, more of a stability issue than fatigue.

Any thoughts?

Clipless pedals are great for commuting except for the fact that they cannot be fitted with pedal reflectors, which are a legal requirement for cycling in Britain after dark (half the year for commuters).

I commute 10 to and 10 fro using clipless. I ride a road bike (Cannondale R300 and self built) but have mountain bike clipless and shoes because they are recessed and I can walk normal (vs duck like with road shoes). If your feet start to hurt due to lack of flex in cycling shoes then consider keeping a different pair of shoes at work. My mountain bike shoes are somewhat flexable because I've had them 4 awhile. My dress code is somewhat relaxed so I dont have a problem with the boss.

I commuted for two years without clipless pedals until this year. I now use Look pedals and wonder why it took me two years to switch. You can buy cleat covers for when you have to dismount.