Clipless Pedals For Commuting?

LadyofAxe

Mar 23, 2015
Hawaii
I regularly ride my bicycle between work and the route takes me through a mostly downtown, city environment. I've been considering getting clipless pedals to make it easier when I do longer rides for fun on the weekend but I am worried about using them for my daily commute. I'm concerned about the safety if I have to make a quick stop or swerve. My city recently installed a new protected bike lane but cars are still getting used to it.

So, does anyone here use clipless pedals for when they commute in the city? Do you find it safe?

why have you posted this under touring and recreational cycling when there is a dedicated forum for commuting?

Connie858 said:
why have you posted this under touring and recreational cycling when there is a dedicated forum for commuting?
This ^

Anyways, I wouldn't use them if you don't feel that safe utilizing them on your commute. It makes far more sense to use clipless pedals on longer rides out in the open, but I know people who sometimes use them on their commutes. It just depends on how comfortable you feel, but it sounds like you wouldn't feel safe, so don't do it.

I would t use them in the city. But if I were going to go to the city I would o my be on back roads. The 17 miles between here and there would have less than 8 cars on it total.

LadyofAxe said:
So, does anyone here use clipless pedals for when they commute in the city? Do you find it safe?

It's safe... But with road cleats it's expensive! :D (Road cleats get worn out fast when walking).

You could use a combination of mtb pedals - shoes...

But then again if you "slip" on a corner you are gonna have the bike "pulling" you for a bit until you unclip...

"A friend of a friend...": :D

091120131041.jpg