clipless pedals - road bike/MTB Shoes

clack3rz

Jul 31, 2006
Are there any clipless pedals for road bikes that I can use with my MTB shoes?
I have recently bought a roadie, but have Shimano MTB style shoes (that I've used on my MTB) and until I can afford road shoes was wondering if there is a road pedal I can use that will take both road/MTB - or is it relevant only to the cleats?
I don't want to use my MTB pedals on the roadie, not only coz it will look a little strange but I will use the MTB still.

It's just the cleats. The issue is most (3 hole) road cleats wont fit into the recessed cavity of a lot of mountain bike shoes (which are there to assist walking in the shoe, so the cleat doesn't contact the ground).

Basically what works is getting a MTB type pedal like an eggbeater and using your MTB shoes and cleats (which should come with the pedals). If you want to retain a MTB pedal on your mountain bike this is the only viable route.

--brett

There are quite a few commuters out there that have spd mountain bike pedals on their road bikes, so they can use the same pair of shoes on their road bike and mountain bike, so don't worry about how it looks.

Assuming you don't go and buy another pair of shoes, have a look underneath. If it has just 2 screw holes right next to each other, then you are limited to mountain bike pedals - spd and a few others. If there are additional holes, you may have a bigger choice of pedals.

Not sure? take a photo of the bottom of your shoe and post it.

I am one of the many who use SPD pedals and mountain bike shoes on my road bike. The only real disadvantage is the weight of the shoe. The advantage is that I can walk aound in my shoes, and SPD pedals do not have problems when the cleats get dirty. Some road pedals do not work well if the cleats get dirty.

SD2006 said:
With mtn bike shoes you might have better luck with the M520. That's what I use.
+1 for the M520. You could spend two or three times as much to save an ounce, but it is not worth it. Stay away from the M505 off e-bay, though. The M505 is only sold as OEM and do not work as well as the M520 (which is why there are so many new M505 available on e-bay - everyone swaps them for something else before the bike ever leaves the LBS). The M520 works significantly beter. When you go up in price from the M520, all you get is marginal weight reduction. The M520 is 380 grams and costs $54.99 at Performance. The M540 is 352 grams and costs $94.99. That is more than $1.00 per gram saved. Putting 23 oz in your water bottle instead of 24 oz would save 2 grams more than the M540 pedals would.

RickF said:
I am one of the many who use SPD pedals and mountain bike shoes on my road bike. The only real disadvantage is the weight of the shoe. The advantage is that I can walk aound in my shoes, and SPD pedals do not have problems when the cleats get dirty. Some road pedals do not work well if the cleats get dirty.
Never personally had any problems with dirty road cleats.

I've ridden for 6 years with cleats on a road bike, the first 3 with SPD's and since then with Look delta. The road cleats spread the load accross the foot a little better, but if you are simply commuting, then I wouldn't be concerned with the performance improvement of the road cleats. The fit and quality of the shoes is more important, so you could switch to what ever is flavour of the day when your existing shoes die.

BTW, I use to use a similar pedal to the 520.

RickF said:
+1 for the M520. You could spend two or three times as much to save an ounce, but it is not worth it. Stay away from the M505 off e-bay, though. The M505 is only sold as OEM and do not work as well as the M520 (which is why there are so many new M505 available on e-bay - everyone swaps them for something else before the bike ever leaves the LBS). The M520 works significantly beter. When you go up in price from the M520, all you get is marginal weight reduction. The M520 is 380 grams and costs $54.99 at Performance. The M540 is 352 grams and costs $94.99. That is more than $1.00 per gram saved. Putting 23 oz in your water bottle instead of 24 oz would save 2 grams more than the M540 pedals would.
I had a hard time getting out of the bike store with my M520s. The sales guy couldn't shut up about the M540s, egg beaters, and speedplays they had. I asked him what advantage the 540s had over the 520s, and all he said was "Umm... They're just better." Yeah, I'll take a pair of M520s please...

Thanks again for all your help.
I will def hv a look into the M520's. From memory my shoes have 2 holes (I'll have to check) I checked them out on the weblink from SD2006 (tks) and they seem fine. I'll let you know how I go when i get them!
Cheers