Clipless pedals - Shimano M515 SPD

Andrew Johnson

Guest
All, I'm currently commuting to work three times a day by bike for a journey of around 14 miles
(Croydon to Old Street Central London/City).

As I still consider myself a beginner in this commuting lark, is it worthwhile investing in
clipless pedals?

From looking at www.wiggle.co.uk the Shimano M515 SPD clipless pedals seem a good option - not
expensive and the reviews/recommendations confirm the product to be of good value.

Any thoughts anyone or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Andrew Johnson wrote:

> All, I'm currently commuting to work three times a day by bike for a journey of around 14 miles
> (Croydon to Old Street Central London/City).
>
> As I still consider myself a beginner in this commuting lark, is it worthwhile investing in
> clipless pedals?
>
> From looking at www.wiggle.co.uk the Shimano M515 SPD clipless pedals seem a good option - not
> expensive and the reviews/recommendations confirm the product to be of good value.
>
> Any thoughts anyone or advice?

Excellent pedals - I have 2 pairs.

Apparently better value at ~20 ukp at http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/. Check they supply them with
cleats to make sure.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Andrew Johnson wrote:
> From looking at www.wiggle.co.uk the Shimano M515 SPD clipless
pedals
> seem a good option - not expensive and the reviews/recommendations confirm the product to be of
> good value.

I've got a set of these and they are indeed good vfm. Ironically, as the cheapest SPD pedal, they
are probably not the best for newcomers to the design. I started out using a set of 545's, which
have an alloy cage, that offers extra foot support, and is quite useful for those "I don't want to
be clipped in right now, but I do want to pedal" moments. This mainly applies when MTB'ing however,
so YMMV when using them for commuting.

--

Regards,

Mark Davies

"MD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Andrew Johnson wrote:
> > From looking at www.wiggle.co.uk the Shimano M515 SPD clipless
> pedals
> > seem a good option - not expensive and the reviews/recommendations confirm the product to be of
> > good value.
>
> I've got a set of these and they are indeed good vfm. Ironically, as the cheapest SPD pedal, they
> are probably not the best for newcomers to the design. I started out using a set of 545's, which
> have an alloy cage, that offers extra foot support, and is quite useful for those "I don't want to
> be clipped in right now, but I do want to pedal" moments. This mainly applies when MTB'ing
> however, so YMMV when using them for commuting.
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark Davies

I would agree with Mark on the "dual purpose" idea - I am also a newcomer to SPD and have installed
424 pedals on my hybrid and shopping bikes in order to also be able to either ride unclipped OR in
ordinary shoes - on my sportier bike I have 515s and they are excellent.

The one other thing I am considering (for my Moulton APB) is the Shimano pedals that are SPD one
side and platform the other as I usually ride it with ordinary shoes but would like the option of
the SPDs for longer runs.

RG

"Andrew Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> From looking at www.wiggle.co.uk the Shimano M515 SPD clipless pedals seem
> good option - not expensive and the reviews/recommendations confirm the product to be of
> good value.

They are good value and work fine, but I found that after 20 miles or so my feet would ache a bit
and my ankles start to turn due to the lack of support (that's with proper Sidi MB boots). I have
since fitted M545 with the alloy cage and find these are MUCH better and just as easy to clip in
and out of.

If you are intending to do long journeys or stand up and sprint then I would reccomend the 545
(which unfortunately cost loads more :( )

Regards Simon

"RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> The one other thing I am considering (for my Moulton APB) is the Shimano pedals that are SPD one
> side and platform the other as I usually ride it with ordinary shoes but would like the option of
> the SPDs for longer runs.
>
> RG

<I may be making this up>

I think you can get little platforms with old style clips to clip into "clipless pedals" for those
times you want to wear normal shoes.

</I may be making this up but if i am someone should make some!>

fragg

"Fraggle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > The one other thing I am considering (for my Moulton APB) is the Shimano pedals that are SPD one
> > side and platform the other as I usually ride it with ordinary shoes but would like the option
> > of the SPDs for longer
runs.

> > RG
>
> <I may be making this up>
>
> I think you can get little platforms with old style clips to clip into "clipless pedals" for those
> times you want to wear normal shoes.
>
> </I may be making this up but if i am someone should make some!>
>
> fragg

.... assuming today isn't April 1st that is an interesting product - does anyone know if
it is true ?

RG

Fraggle wrote:
> "RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>

>>The one other thing I am considering (for my Moulton APB) is the Shimano pedals that are SPD one
>>side and platform the other as I usually ride it with ordinary shoes but would like the option of
>>the SPDs for longer runs.
>>
>>RG
>

> <I may be making this up>
>
> I think you can get little platforms with old style clips to clip into "clipless pedals" for those
> times you want to wear normal shoes.
>
> </I may be making this up but if i am someone should make some!>
>
> fragg

I have some of these - they came with the bike. Its a plastic platform with a cleat shape moulded
onto the back. The platform is almost flat/smooth with some textured parts on it.

As I understand it they are mainly there for display purposes, so you can try a bike from a shop
without having to wear SPD shoes. The lack of grip tho doesn't make them that practical to use for
normal day to day cycling, and I took mine off for this reason (they are double sided pedals so for
a while I left them on whilst I got used to the SPDs). I don't think they are sold separately.

John.

Fraggle wrote:

> I think you can get little platforms with old style clips to clip
into
> "clipless pedals" for those times you want to wear normal shoes.
>
> </I may be making this up but if i am someone should make some!>
>
> fragg

I got some free when I got my 515's[1]. I could probably find them and dig out the Shimano part#. if
anyone wanted to know. The platform isn't very big, or grippy, so you wouldn't want to go much
further than the shops. They're also surprisingly difficult to fit/remove, as you have to put the
tension down to zero and then tighten them up again. I can't remember if the other side of the
SPDstill works when fitted.

I was mainly thinking in terms of having a stable unclipped foot platform for when you might need to
potentially dab your foot down. As I said, this mainly happens to me when MTB'ing on tricky rocky
bits. I thought it might conceivably happen when manoeuvring through London traffic. If your journey
is pure pedalling, with anticipatable stops, then 515's shoudl be fine.

There is a caged SPD with a plastic rather than alloy cage, which looks otherwise identical to the
545, but is a tad cheaper.

[1] Actually I think my 515's are actually 505's - the difference seems to be that the 515's use
cartridge bearings, and the 505's loose ones in a cup&cone arrangement.

--

Regards,

Mark Davies

RG wrote:

> "Fraggle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>"RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>>The one other thing I am considering (for my Moulton APB) is the Shimano pedals that are SPD one
>>>side and platform the other as I usually ride it with ordinary shoes but would like the option of
>>>the SPDs for longer
>> > runs.
>>
>>I think you can get little platforms with old style clips to clip into "clipless pedals" for those
>>times you want to wear normal shoes.
>>
> ..... assuming today isn't April 1st that is an interesting product - does anyone know if it
> is true ?

They do exist. If you buy a bike fitted with clipless pedals, they should come with the bike,
because IIRC they are required for the bike to be legal. I had a pair of these. Now I have one. They
were built to get around a law, not to actually use IMHO. There may be more robust ones out there,
maybe even ones which say Wellgo on them.

I have not seen them for sale separately.

--

"J" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...

> I have some of these - they came with the bike. Its a plastic platform with a cleat shape moulded
> onto the back. The platform is almost flat/smooth with some textured parts on it.
>
> As I understand it they are mainly there for display purposes, so you can try a bike from a shop
> without having to wear SPD shoes. The lack of grip tho doesn't make them that practical to use for
> normal day to day cycling, and I took mine off for this reason (they are double sided pedals so
> for a while I left them on whilst I got used to the SPDs). I don't think they are sold separately.

They also allow the pedal to be sold with reflectors. Its then the punters choice to remove them.

I have a set sitting on the kitchen windowledge.

"Simon Galgut" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> They are good value and work fine, but I found that after 20 miles or so
my
> feet would ache a bit and my ankles start to turn due to the lack of
support
> (that's with proper Sidi MB boots). I have since fitted M545 with the
alloy
> cage and find these are MUCH better and just as easy to clip in and out
of.

Dunno, what you mean support?, you need a firm sole but surely that is all.

I think the position of the cleat fitted to the shoe and the amount of float are the important
things to look at if you have problems

> If you are intending to do long journeys or stand up and sprint then I
would
> reccomend the 545 (which unfortunately cost loads more :( )

If you clipped in what benefit does a cage offer? Maybe your shoes soles aren't stiff enough

"Fraggle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > RG wrote:

> http://www.xpedia.co.uk/acatalog/Xpedia_Online_VP_PEDALS_54.html
>
> is as close as i can find using the great google. (scroll to the last item)
>
> I am sure i have seen em with clips as well!
>
> Fragg

Just the ticket - I would guess that if they have reflectors then the front ones could be removed
and old style clips screwed on (I rather like the short ones without straps) - I'll bend the plastic
with a purchase later today and report back in due course if anyone is interested

RG

MD <[email protected]> said:

> There is a caged SPD with a plastic rather than alloy cage, which looks otherwise identical to the
> 545, but is a tad cheaper.

The 424, yes. I too was buying clipless pedal stuff at Edinburgh Bicycle (I went with the 545 in the
end) yesterday and looked at a range of the downhill/mountain biker pedals[1]. Interestingly, the
M646 apparently comes with a set of reflectors which you can screw to the pedal though for 50-odd
quid I should hope so too!

Since my new Cannondale shoes have lots of scotchlite piping I've decided not to bother too much
about having pedal reflectors.

Regards,

-david

[1] SPD-Rs don't appeal just yet since I'm not willing to dispense with the cage.

Thanks everyone for providing such useful and insightful advice.

For the moment I've taken the small step of purchasing and fitting toe-clips with straps ( a
whopping grand total of £6.99) as intermediate step. I'll try these for August and if I feel upto it
I shall buy the Shimano SH-M020 shoes which I feel comfortable and then the clipless pedals later.

Again, thanks for all your replies.

Andy