clipless pedals V toeclips

nicgal56

Aug 14, 2006
:rolleyes: Hi all just a ? on clipless pedals and toeclips
I can;t go the extra cost on the clipless pedals and shoes just yet , so I will have to use the toeclips for some time tell I save up to get the clipless pedals .
Are the toeclips better then nothing at all ?

nicgal56 said:
I can;t go the extra cost on the clipless pedals and shoes just yet , so I will have to use the toeclips for some time tell I save up to get the clipless pedals .

Yes, better than nothing at all. Try to wear a stiff soled shoe as well.

nicgal56 said:
Absolutely! Virtually all serious bicyclists used toeclips and straps for years before clipless pedals were invented. They wouldn't have done that if toeclips weren't a big improvement over plain platform pedals.

nicgal56 said:
Toeclips are ok, afterall its the person on the bike that counts!!
Sean Kelly was the last pro to use toeclips. There is some great pictures of him racing with toe clips while all the other riders are on clipless, CLASS:cool:

Yes, I'd have to agree that toeclips are better than nothing at all, BUT they can be VERY DANGEROUS at times (especially if you ride in traffic). Once I bought my first set of clipless pedals, wow, what an improvement and far more comfortable, IMO. Sure hope you can go to the clipless pedals SOON!!

All I ever had was plain jane pedals. Nothing as far as clips. I resently tried toeclips for one ride. What a pain in the butt. I just hated them! I now have clipless pedals and I'm liking them a whole lot better. I feel there a whole lot easier to use and much safer for me. Had I used toeclips any longer I'd be testing just how good my helmet is.:eek:

My first pair of Carnac shoes (made in france) and SPD pedals with cleats, all new, cost $100 AUD delivered...

So you need not go to the expense of $100 pedals and $200 shoes + del...

notice that the track cyclsists still use clips & straps a lot of the time...you'll want proper shoes though, the stiff soles make all the difference.

I was told track racers still used toeclips and straps (usually more than one strap!) because they don't pull out. I used to work on a bike for a TT racer and he kept pulling out of his Looks! He switched to a different clipless pedal (Diadora's I believe) in hopes of staying clipped in.

nicgal56 said:
Unless you're working on your "urban skills", yeah, I'd say toeclips are better than platforms. But still, I'd recommend going clipless when you get the chance.

If you get a pair of cycling shoes with a toeclip pedal cleat (a triangular thing that fits into a groove at the back of toeclip pedals when tightened) then they can be good but bad for knees and in traffic. A pair of stiff soled shoes will do wonders.