clipless pedals vs straps

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Erick, Apr 21, 2003.

  1. Erick

    Erick Guest

    Was hoping for a little insight into the benefits of clip in pedals vs the straps. Currently I have
    straps that allow me to bike with my running shoes. I am a tri finisher, not competitive, so I'm not
    worried about shaving a few seconds. However, if the clip in pedals will allow for a significantly
    more efficient pedal stroke and help me maintain my legs for the run, then they may be worth it?

    Thanks Erick

    Tags:

  2. Pat Bell

    Pat Bell Guest

    Not only will you have a more efficient pedal stroke with clipless pedals, but clipless pedals are
    safer in that you can unclip much more reliably than with straps. Upgrading to clipless is certainly
    worth it, no question.

    -Pat

  3. Pat Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Not only will you have a more efficient pedal stroke with clipless pedals, but clipless pedals are
    >safer in that you can unclip much more reliably than with straps. Upgrading to clipless is
    >certainly worth it, no question.

    Maybe you can do it more reliably, but my left knee indicates otherwise. I never have had trouble
    getting out of the cage, but speedplay pedals are a different matter.

    I don't dispute the gain in power, though when riding in heavy hills, or urban traffic, I'd rather
    use the cage.
    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

  4. Thats because you are fat and slow. Clipless is the way to go, bro.

    [email protected] (Jason O'Rourke) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Pat Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Not only will you have a more efficient pedal stroke with clipless pedals, but clipless pedals
    > >are safer in that you can unclip much more reliably than with straps. Upgrading to clipless is
    > >certainly worth it, no question.
    >
    > Maybe you can do it more reliably, but my left knee indicates otherwise. I never have had trouble
    > getting out of the cage, but speedplay pedals are a different matter.
    >
    > I don't dispute the gain in power, though when riding in heavy hills, or urban traffic, I'd rather
    > use the cage.

  5. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Dr. Steven
    Walker) wrote:

    > Thats because you are fat and slow. Clipless is the way to go, bro.

    <PLONK>

    --Harold Buck

    - Homer J. Simpson

  6. MJuric

    MJuric Guest

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:05:24 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Jason O'Rourke) wrote:

    >Pat Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Not only will you have a more efficient pedal stroke with clipless pedals, but clipless pedals are
    >>safer in that you can unclip much more reliably than with straps. Upgrading to clipless is
    >>certainly worth it, no question.
    >
    >Maybe you can do it more reliably, but my left knee indicates otherwise. I never have had trouble
    >getting out of the cage, but speedplay pedals are a different matter.

    I really think it depends on how you use the cages. If you use them put your foot in and
    then lock your foot in they are without a doubt more difficult to get out of. Reaching down
    unlocking them is a major issue at a stop. OTOH if you just adjust them so you can slide
    your foot in and out at a stop then they are easier (More natural) to get out that clipless.
    All in all though Definately go clipless. Easier to get into. Just about as easy to get out
    of in any situation. More power.

    ~Matt

  7. In article <[email protected]>, <MJuric> wrote:
    >>Maybe you can do it more reliably, but my left knee indicates otherwise. I never have had trouble
    >>getting out of the cage, but speedplay pedals are a different matter.
    > I really think it depends on how you use the cages. If you use them put your foot in and
    > then lock your foot in they are without a doubt more difficult to get out of. Reaching down
    > unlocking them is a major issue at a stop. OTOH if you just adjust them so you can slide
    > your foot in and out at a stop then they are easier (More natural) to get out that clipless.
    > All in all though Definately go clipless. Easier to get into. Just about as easy to get out
    > of in any situation. More power.

    What kind are you using? I find that the float allowed by speedplay is great during riding, but
    getting in and out is certainly not easier than the cage. I slide my feet in and out, and have years
    of muscle memory on offroads.

    Power - no doubts there.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

  8. N Crowley

    N Crowley Guest

    Pat Bell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Not only will you have a more efficient pedal stroke with clipless pedals, but clipless pedals are
    > safer in that you can unclip much more reliably than with straps. Upgrading to clipless is
    > certainly worth it, no question.

    In what way do they give you a more efficient pedal stroke ?

  9. n crowley <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In what way do they give you a more efficient pedal stroke ?

    no energy is wasted keeping your foot on the pedal. You can exert force at the 12 oclock and 6
    position too.
    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

  10. Go with the short, strapless gown - it suits your figure better Stephanie.