clipless pedals vs straps



E

Erick

Guest
Was hoping for a little insight into the benefits of clip in pedals vs the straps. Currently I have
straps that allow me to bike with my running shoes. I am a tri finisher, not competitive, so I'm not
worried about shaving a few seconds. However, if the clip in pedals will allow for a significantly
more efficient pedal stroke and help me maintain my legs for the run, then they may be worth it?

Thanks Erick
 
P

Pat Bell

Guest
Not only will you have a more efficient pedal stroke with clipless pedals, but clipless pedals are
safer in that you can unclip much more reliably than with straps. Upgrading to clipless is certainly
worth it, no question.

-Pat
 
J

Jason O'Rourke

Guest
Pat Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
>Not only will you have a more efficient pedal stroke with clipless pedals, but clipless pedals are
>safer in that you can unclip much more reliably than with straps. Upgrading to clipless is
>certainly worth it, no question.

Maybe you can do it more reliably, but my left knee indicates otherwise. I never have had trouble
getting out of the cage, but speedplay pedals are a different matter.

I don't dispute the gain in power, though when riding in heavy hills, or urban traffic, I'd rather
use the cage.
--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
 
D

Dr. Steven Walk

Guest
Thats because you are fat and slow. Clipless is the way to go, bro.

[email protected] (Jason O'Rourke) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Pat Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Not only will you have a more efficient pedal stroke with clipless pedals, but clipless pedals
> >are safer in that you can unclip much more reliably than with straps. Upgrading to clipless is
> >certainly worth it, no question.
>
> Maybe you can do it more reliably, but my left knee indicates otherwise. I never have had trouble
> getting out of the cage, but speedplay pedals are a different matter.
>
> I don't dispute the gain in power, though when riding in heavy hills, or urban traffic, I'd rather
> use the cage.
 
H

Harold Buck

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Dr. Steven
Walker) wrote:

> Thats because you are fat and slow. Clipless is the way to go, bro.
>

<PLONK>

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."

- Homer J. Simpson
 
M

MJuric

Guest
On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:05:24 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Jason O'Rourke) wrote:

>Pat Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Not only will you have a more efficient pedal stroke with clipless pedals, but clipless pedals are
>>safer in that you can unclip much more reliably than with straps. Upgrading to clipless is
>>certainly worth it, no question.
>
>Maybe you can do it more reliably, but my left knee indicates otherwise. I never have had trouble
>getting out of the cage, but speedplay pedals are a different matter.

I really think it depends on how you use the cages. If you use them put your foot in and
then lock your foot in they are without a doubt more difficult to get out of. Reaching down
unlocking them is a major issue at a stop. OTOH if you just adjust them so you can slide
your foot in and out at a stop then they are easier (More natural) to get out that clipless.
All in all though Definately go clipless. Easier to get into. Just about as easy to get out
of in any situation. More power.

~Matt

>
>I don't dispute the gain in power, though when riding in heavy hills, or urban traffic, I'd rather
>use the cage.
>--
>Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
 
J

Jason O'Rourke

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, <MJuric> wrote:
>>Maybe you can do it more reliably, but my left knee indicates otherwise. I never have had trouble
>>getting out of the cage, but speedplay pedals are a different matter.
> I really think it depends on how you use the cages. If you use them put your foot in and
> then lock your foot in they are without a doubt more difficult to get out of. Reaching down
> unlocking them is a major issue at a stop. OTOH if you just adjust them so you can slide
> your foot in and out at a stop then they are easier (More natural) to get out that clipless.
> All in all though Definately go clipless. Easier to get into. Just about as easy to get out
> of in any situation. More power.

What kind are you using? I find that the float allowed by speedplay is great during riding, but
getting in and out is certainly not easier than the cage. I slide my feet in and out, and have years
of muscle memory on offroads.

Power - no doubts there.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
 
N

N Crowley

Guest
Pat Bell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Not only will you have a more efficient pedal stroke with clipless pedals, but clipless pedals are
> safer in that you can unclip much more reliably than with straps. Upgrading to clipless is
> certainly worth it, no question.


In what way do they give you a more efficient pedal stroke ?
 
J

Jason O'Rourke

Guest
n crowley <[email protected]> wrote:
> In what way do they give you a more efficient pedal stroke ?

no energy is wasted keeping your foot on the pedal. You can exert force at the 12 oclock and 6
position too.
--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
 
D

Dr. Steven Walk

Guest
Go with the short, strapless gown - it suits your figure better Stephanie.

[email protected] (Jason O'Rourke) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> n crowley <crowle[email protected]> wrote:
> > In what way do they give you a more efficient pedal stroke ?
>
> no energy is wasted keeping your foot on the pedal. You can exert force at the 12 oclock and 6
> position too.