Clipless pedals (was Re: Plantar Fasciitis - Strassburg Sock)

Tim Downie

Guest
Brian Wakem wrote:
> Tim Downie wrote:
>
> > Brian Wakem wrote:

> > > I just use running shoes. Asics GT-1120 to be precise.
> > >
> > > It starts to hurt after about 45min-1hr of cycling. I've decided
> > > not to cycle at all because it can only be hindering the recovery.

> > Get yourself some SPDs or other clipless pedal and you'll wonder
> > why you ever rode a bike without them. They really do make an
> > *enormous* difference to your pedalling and the rigid soled shoes
> > mean that you can ride as much as you like without hurting your
> > foot.
> >
> > Of course nearly everyone has the occasional embarassing fall off
> > of the bike when you can't get your feet out of the clips fast
> > enough but really it's not a big issue. To me now a bike without
> > SPDs feels very strange indeed. Go for it, you won't regret it.

> OK OK, you've convinced me. What do you recommend?

A good bicycle shop. ;-)

Best to try on shoes I think rather than order over the net. The pedals
(which with come with the cleats that have to be fitted to the shoes) can be
ordered or bought seperately.

There are a rather confusing range of systems available (Shimano SPD being
one of the more common popular types) but even that one comes in different
"flavours" depending on the type of riding and shoes that you have. "Look"
pedals are also popular but go for "Eggbeaters" if you really want the
minimalistic look. (http://www.crankbrothers.com/eggbeater.php)

SPDs can be adjusted for release tension which can be useful if you're
worried about unclipping when you first switch over.

I'm not really the person to ask though. You'll get better advice over in
uk.rec.cycling (message x-posted). A good bike shop is your best bet and if
you remind us where you live, I'm sure someone will recommend one in your
area.
Cheers.

Tim

Tim Downie wrote:
> Brian Wakem wrote:

>> OK OK, you've convinced me. What do you recommend?

> A good bicycle shop. ;-)
>
> Best to try on shoes I think rather than order over the net.

Absolutely. All shoes are built on a last which may or not conform
to your feet, and the trick is find one that does. For example, my
wife uses Shimano shoes, that fit her feet well, but are hideous
for me, and the only way to really find out is by trying.

> SPDs can be adjusted for release tension which can be useful if you're
> worried about unclipping when you first switch over.

I prefer Time ATACs, which have no need of all that silly faffing
about with tension adjustment but still aren't a particular problem
to get out of (my wife got used to clipless using mine, and in my
bigger shoes just to make life harder than otherwise necessary,
while also riding a recumbent for the first time, and she never
managed to blow it), and I think they give slightly easier entry,
more positive engagement, and suffer less from problems with worn
cleats. Another big point about ATACs is they give plenty of float
(lateral /and/ rotational) so your foot/leg can twist and move more
than with SPuDs without releasing the cleat. I've heard of quite a
few people who've had knee trouble with some pedals but /not/ with
ATACs.

As you'll have gathered, I quite like ATACs and would choose them
any day over SPuDs. The ATAC cleats fit the same shoe plates as
standard SPuDs, so are typically married with shoes that enable you
to walk, rather than totter (the usual state of affairs with road
shoes, be they with LOOK or SPuD-R cleats).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 16:53:50 +0100, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>As you'll have gathered, I quite like ATACs and would choose them
>any day over SPuDs. The ATAC cleats fit the same shoe plates as
>standard SPuDs, so are typically married with shoes that enable you
>to walk, rather than totter (the usual state of affairs with road
>shoes, be they with LOOK or SPuD-R cleats).

But don't forget that there are several models of Shimano shoes that
also have 'proper' walking soles, with the cleat are recessed. I have
two pairs, one with a slightly higher heal and a velcro strap which I
use when it's wet or muddy and the others standard trainer-style
lace-ups.

I never understand why anyone except a racer would go for the
hard-soled road shoes.

--
Ace in Alsace - brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom

On 08/08/2007 16:53, Peter Clinch said,

> As you'll have gathered, I quite like ATACs and would choose them any
> day over SPuDs.

A corollary to this is that despite several attempts, I just don't get
on with ATAC pedals. I've tried, I really have, but that same
rotational float that means you don't accidentally unclip (which is why
I persisted) meant that I couldn't get my left foot unclipped no matter
what I did to the cleat position. Just a warning that they may not be
for everyone. I have SPDs on my commuter, but feel they would unclip
too easily on my MTB which is why I tried the ATACs.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Ace wrote:

> But don't forget that there are several models of Shimano shoes that
> also have 'proper' walking soles, with the cleat are recessed.

For SPuD-R, the roadie model?

> I never understand why anyone except a racer would go for the
> hard-soled road shoes.

Because they find the cleat system works better while actually riding
(for example, more even spread of the pressure from the downstroke), and
can't find shoes with a cleat recess (Helen Wafflycat has LOOK shoes
with a recessed cleat but they're discontinued and nobody else here has
ever managed to find any IIRC), but aren't off the bike enough to have
it worry them.
I am very much *not* one of those people, however!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ace wrote:
>
> > But don't forget that there are several models of Shimano shoes that
> > also have 'proper' walking soles, with the cleat are recessed.

> For SPuD-R, the roadie model?
>
> > I never understand why anyone except a racer would go for the
> > hard-soled road shoes.

> Because they find the cleat system works better while actually riding
> (for example, more even spread of the pressure from the downstroke), and
> can't find shoes with a cleat recess (Helen Wafflycat has LOOK shoes
> with a recessed cleat but they're discontinued and nobody else here has
> ever managed to find any IIRC), but aren't off the bike enough to have
> it worry them.
> I am very much *not* one of those people, however!
>
> Pete.

i often bike in to see my partner for lunch say or sometimes we go for
meal say and thus tottering around on with hard bike shoes doesn't
apeal.

ie most of my bike use is to get to B from A rather than a spin.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

In news:[email protected],
Peter Clinch <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:
> Ace wrote:
>
>> But don't forget that there are several models of Shimano shoes that
>> also have 'proper' walking soles, with the cleat are recessed.

> For SPuD-R, the roadie model?
>
>> I never understand why anyone except a racer would go for the
>> hard-soled road shoes.

> Because they find the cleat system works better while actually riding
> (for example, more even spread of the pressure from the downstroke),

Yup. If I'm on the bike, I'm not intending to walk further than from where
I park it to the office / cafe / shop / pub.

> and can't find shoes with a cleat recess (Helen Wafflycat has LOOK
> shoes with a recessed cleat but they're discontinued and nobody else
> here has ever managed to find any IIRC)

My mate Twed has a pair as well :)

--
Dave Larrington
The Real Slim Shady's gone to play tennis.

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 08:25:02 +0100, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ace wrote:
>
>> But don't forget that there are several models of Shimano shoes that
>> also have 'proper' walking soles, with the cleat are recessed.

>For SPuD-R, the roadie model?

Not that I'm aware of - when I first changed I looked around and the
standard SPD seemed to do all I wanted; still does.

>> I never understand why anyone except a racer would go for the
>> hard-soled road shoes.

>Because they find the cleat system works better while actually riding
>(for example, more even spread of the pressure from the downstroke), and
>can't find shoes with a cleat recess (Helen Wafflycat has LOOK shoes
>with a recessed cleat but they're discontinued and nobody else here has
>ever managed to find any IIRC),

There are loads available for standard SPDs, e.g.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/CategoryProducts.aspx?categoryName=Shoes - Cycle Offroad
and indeed for road/touring use
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/CategoryProducts.aspx?categoryName=Shoes - Cycle Touring

But no, none of them seem to be suitable for SPD-R cleats.

--
Ace in Alsace - brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom