clipless pedals

aero

May 1, 2003
I was wondering if I could get some info. about some clipless pedals.

I've got a trek 4300 that I've own for 2 years now and I'm riding more often and want to try clipless pedals. From the bike I have you can probably tell I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on bike things unfortanetly. When I ride I usually go about 10-20 miles on cement or light gravel. Rarely going out to any trails were I'm dodging rocks, etc. :)

So a few questions.

What would it cost to get some decent shoes and pedals to get out there? (Would $100 get me what I need?)

When I do buy the pedals, should I be concerned about the size of the threads on the bike, or is there usually a standard for most bikes?

Any recomendations?

Thanks

BTW, these are what I am considering a the moment:

http://pricepoint.com/product688.html

That package sounds pretty good for a start in the clipless world.. the SPD pedal system is convenient in that it's easy to walk in the shoes, and quite easy to clip in and out of.

An important question to ask is do the shoes fit snugly? Some shoe companies have slightly different moulds for width of the toe section, etc. Don't forget that cycling shoes don't really stretch and "wear in" like normal shoes do.

Also, if you're just starting out, you might appreciate a double-sided pedal (one that has an entry point on either side.) I can't tell 100% from the picture if that's the case with those pedals. (They do sound light for a set of double sided SPD pedals..)

Thanks for the help.

I'm going to get out to a store to make sure they fit well, but I'll purchase them online, as the package there is cheaper.

As for them being double sided. I don't recall hearing anything about that so I would assume no. But I would assume the ball-bearings would hold the pedal on the side that you foot last had it on, which would hopefully be the correct side. Hopefully.

Anyone know anything about my last question?

When I do buy the pedals, should I be concerned about the size of the threads on the bike, or is there usually a standard for most bikes?

Thanks

Originally posted by aero
Thanks for the help.

I'm going to get out to a store to make sure they fit well, but I'll purchase them online, as the package there is cheaper.
I wouldn't make a habit of doing that too often -- shop owners don't like it :(

As for them being double sided. I don't recall hearing anything about that so I would assume no. But I would assume the ball-bearings would hold the pedal on the side that you foot last had it on, which would hopefully be the correct side. Hopefully.
Sounds like a perfect plan, until you remember that the crank rotates as you push off to pedal ;) However, single-sided pedals are usually weighted on one side so that the clippy side is always towards your shoe, making it easier to find the right side. Not quite as convenient to learn on as double-sided pedals, but perfectly fine once you're used to them (and lighter.)

The standard is a 15mm thread; however getting your existing pedals off might be a a pain without having a long-handled "pedal" spanner, which will apply more torque. I once tried an hour to get the pedals off my bike, drenched it in WD40, etc. etc., gave up, went to the bike store, and they took it off in about 5 seconds with their long-handled spanner :p

Well it wasn't a bike shop per say I went to. It was a sporting goods store, so I didn't feel as guilty about it. Serves them right for attacking me with helpful service. I just wanna be left alone. Even if it its their job. :p

I've got a pretty hefty wrench I've removed pedals before with. Still took some effort, but it got the job done.

NOOOOOO Don't do it to your self!!!!!

the red flag here is "SPD Compatible" which means the pedals are shimano copies and thats BAD

Shimano make woeful clipless pedals, they are fine in the dry but get them wet and the pedals and cleats jam up and its nigh on impossible to get into the pedals and even harder to get out of them !!

I rode for two hours on a set of SPDs today and tomorrow i'm going to buy some eggbeaters or ATACs!!!

so if you ride 100% dry then get SPD compatible, if you want to be able to get out of your pedals before you crash in the mud get anything else

you have been warned!!

Really? There is another package with the same shoe but with Time ATAC Alium Pedals for another $25 more.

http://pricepoint.com/product1252.html

But, its the darndest thing. Every were I look none of the pedals I've seen have listed a thread size. I wanna make sure they will fit 9/16 but no site says anything about their size.

Get the ATACs it will save you a lot of grief

there are no thread sizes because all cranks are the same, its possibly the ONLY standard in cycling so don't worry about it and get the pedals

i'm getting the ATACs pretty soon myself

If you're just going to be riding paved and basic gravel trails, I don't think it'll be that much of an issue -- I used SPDs for that purpose for ages without a hassle -- but if you have an MTB, and can get the Time pedals for just a bit more, I would go for them. Sooner or later I'm sure you'll want to discover the messier trails that are about :p

Interestingly enough the main problem I've had with muddy SPDs is getting into the things ... :p When I have money to burn I'll likely be replacing them with something a little more mud-friendly.

Okay thats what I was thinking there must be established standards around, if people keep talking about modifying their bikes to great extent. Thanks guys. So I guess I'll get the time pedals then. Mine as well get more then I need now, rather then regret it later.

Yeah, I noticed a package with them with the same shoes for the same price.

I checked mtbreview.com and they scored about the same rating as the atacs. So I just decided to go with the atacs yesterday becuase I thought the eggbeaters were ugly. Got the whole thing with deliverary to my house for $126.

Okay, I got them yesterday. Had a little trouble getting the new padals on becuase there wasn't alot of clearence to get a wrench on the new padals but it wasn't to bad.

I studied the mechanism of how they work, before I tried to use them, as the Time suggested, and once I figured out how they functioned, getting in and out was easy. I havent tried anything technical yet by any means, but I havent fallen yet. Rek, thanks for recommending a double sided pedal. Not having to worry about which side the clips are on when entering keeps my eyes on the road, were they belong. ;)

does anyone know where good pedals can be purchased in Vic, Aus??? for a MtB?

ta
MoD

Modcon, I suggest pricepoint.com, they deliver globally, and they are cheap. Check mtbreview.com to see what people think of the products you consider buying.

hey, thanks. will do. :D i might look at somewhere closer to home; mtbreview is good

MoD

Who knows. I'm on the complete otherside of the US then were pricepoint is in california, depending on where you are in australia you may not be much futher then my distance from them.