clipless pedals

benbrook

Oct 29, 2003
I've just got a Specialized Langster with both fixed and freewheel sprocket. Before I ride it fixed though, I want to get used to clipless pedals. Can anyone recommend a good beginners set of pedals please. My friend told me to look at crank brothers (egg beater pedals) or shimano spds - is this the best advice? I think I'd prefer double sided ones too.

I'll be using the bike for the daily commute into and through London, not much else.

I'd like to spend about £20-£30 on the pedals and will also be buying shoes to go with it.

Thanks in advance

Ben

benbrook said:
I've just got a Specialized Langster with both fixed and freewheel sprocket. Before I ride it fixed though, I want to get used to clipless pedals. Can anyone recommend a good beginners set of pedals please. My friend told me to look at crank brothers (egg beater pedals) or shimano spds - is this the best advice? I think I'd prefer double sided ones too.

I'll be using the bike for the daily commute into and through London, not much else.

I'd like to spend about £20-£30 on the pedals and will also be buying shoes to go with it.

Thanks in advance

Ben
Greetings Ben. There are many types of clipless pedals out there. From what you stated I would suggest the pedals your friend mentioned. I have not ridden egg beaters but have heard many good things about them. I own 2 pairs of SPD compatible pedals and I really like them. They are easy to get into and out of, plus they are dual-sided. For shoes you will want to look at mountain bike shoes with a recessed cleat to make walking easier. Road shoes are usually very difficult to walk in. I have a pair of Sidi Rampa II shoes from 2004 that I got for $40 USD on closeout. I am sure you will be able to find pedals and shoes that will suit your purpose and fit your budget. Just make sure the pedals are SPD or compatible and yyou will be fine.

Cheers,

Brian

I know people who have egg beaters and hate them due to their lack of a platform. IMO the best bang for your buck pedals are the shimano 105s which are spd-sl. They retail for about 50 usd, I'm not sure if that's out of your price range. Bear in mind that even entry level shoes will run you about 70 usd.

I have the ultegra pedals (very similar to the 105s) and I have been very satisifed with them. They have variable float, and a large platform which makes it easy to clip in.

I have the Eggbeater Candy C's. Use them on a road bike and have the road clips on the shoes. They have a platform and are easier to get in an out
than the Look style I had before. Recommend them highly, and there is no squeak.

I ride Campagnolo Pro-Fits. Best pedal around.

But for city riding, with, I assume, lots of walking around, get a pair of SPD-types (some even have a 'flat' pedal on one side to allow you to ride without cycling specific shoes) and a normalish looking shoe with the recessed cleat.

Have fun!

If you haven't uses clipless pedals before remember to uncleat the pedal BEFORE you stop at a signal or to rest. Most, if not all, riders usually provide some measure of entertaniment (pure comedy) to motorists and fellow riders when they tilt over helplessly toward the side the foot is still clipped onto the pedals. Good Luck.

when i bought shoes and pedals i got shimano's indoor spinning shoes. i guess they are made for entirely indoor cycling, but they are really easy to walk in and you almost can't tell they are cycling shoes. The only downside is that they are really cold because they are made for indoors use. As for pedals i would agree with everyone that its probably good to get a larger sized pedal, so that you can ride without the shoes if need be.

I highly recommend the Eggbeaters as I have them myself, have used SPD's many years and also Time ATAC pedals. I don't care if there is no platform for my shoes are stiff enough. You can't tell how big the platform on clipless pedals are with good shoes. Those who hate them must have soles that are too flexible. The Eggbeaters are easy to clip in and out of, have good float, which I like (others don't) and are rugged and robust. I have nothing negative to say about them.

really does have to be SPD´s for practicallity but do look at the downhill style platform type as it isn´t always practical to clip in but these have the platform and mech on both sides - helpfull in traffic -
do avoid single sided spd/ platforms at all cost as you always seem to get the wrong face at the wrong time .