clipless pedals

I have my clipless pedals very loose and have had no problems until today.
I was cycling behind my son, who has a habit of stopping without warning if
there's a nettle within 10 yds.
I kept my left foot unclipped just to be sure I could put it down quickly. I
tried experimenting with pedalling with my right leg only, just for fun,
whilst holding my left foot up behind me, I even managed to rest it on the
rear rack. However I somehow managed to get the lace on my left shoe snagged
on the left pedal (the front lip of the SPD). This meant that my left foot
was now permanently attached to my left pedal, not too much of a problem.
However with my left foot attached _under_ the pedal I couldn't put my
weight on that pedal to lift my rear-end off the saddle whilst I unclipped
the other foot, I need to do this as my saddle is quite high. I couldn't
figure out how to uncliip and dismount using only one foot. In the end I
unclipped the good foot and then braked hard enough to ensure that I slid
off the saddle as I stopped.
Jim J

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 22:00:52 +0100, "Jim" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have my clipless pedals very loose and have had no problems until today.
>I was cycling behind my son, who has a habit of stopping without warning if
>there's a nettle within 10 yds.
>I kept my left foot unclipped just to be sure I could put it down quickly. I
>tried experimenting with pedalling with my right leg only, just for fun,
>whilst holding my left foot up behind me, I even managed to rest it on the
>rear rack. However I somehow managed to get the lace on my left shoe snagged
>on the left pedal (the front lip of the SPD). This meant that my left foot
>was now permanently attached to my left pedal, not too much of a problem.
>However with my left foot attached _under_ the pedal I couldn't put my
>weight on that pedal to lift my rear-end off the saddle whilst I unclipped
>the other foot, I need to do this as my saddle is quite high. I couldn't
>figure out how to uncliip and dismount using only one foot. In the end I
>unclipped the good foot and then braked hard enough to ensure that I slid
>off the saddle as I stopped.

LMAO. Was this caught on film?

"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> LMAO. Was this caught on film?

No thankfully. It was an awkward moment as it was the part of the lace
nearest my toe which was hooked on the front of the SPD so the top of my
shoe was fairly tightly attached to the pedal. When I think of it I'm
surprised that this hasn't happened before as I normally use the top of my
shoe under the pedal to turn it round (the right way) before I clip in. The
loose ends of the laces are tucked well away under a velcro strap but the
lace between the eyelets could easily catch the SPD mech.
I had a similar problem a few years ago with a helmet. I thought I was
looking cool fastening my helmet whilst riding, I was wearing gloves and the
clip semmed to require a lot more force than usual to click-in. Eventually I
found out why, my glove was caught in the clip. Thankfully only one though
Jim J

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> cupra wrote:
>>
>> Reminds me of the time my mate lost control (off road) and ended up on his
>> back in bed of nettles!

> I've come off at speed off road and rolled through a bed of nettles.
> Still should protect me from arthritis in later years if the tales are true.
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/771563.stm

I haven't heard any tales (nor is the above one) of protection against
*getting* arthritis. What nettles (and bee stings) seem to be good at is
reducing the pain and inflammation once you've got it.

--
Chris Malcolm [email protected] DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> cupra wrote:
> >
> > Reminds me of the time my mate lost control (off road) and ended up on his
> > back in bed of nettles!
> >

> I've come off at speed off road and rolled through a bed of nettles.
> Still should protect me from arthritis in later years if the tales are true.
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/771563.stm
>
> Tony

as i kid/young teen i walked etc all over and attaully got quite
restiant to their stings, hopefully that will protect me, though
probably not has i'm no longer restant to them any more.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com