Clipless Pedals

nathang

Jan 29, 2004
I have just graduated to clipless pedals.
Do you have to modify your pedaling technique to obtain maximum benefit ????????/

Originally posted by nathang
Do you have to modify your pedaling technique to obtain maximum benefit ????????/

Maybe try to concentrate on pulling from the 6 o'clock position through the 12 o'clock position...

Originally posted by nathang
There's plenty of science to efficient pedaling, but for most of us, much of the improved technique comes naturally without much thought. You'll find that once your brain grasps the notion that your foot-to-pedal connection is truly a secure one, your legs instinctively take advantage of the grip.

You'll find yourself launching into that quick acceleration, or bursting off of a red light, by incorporating a meaty upstroke into your cadence, for instance... you'll find yourself more consciously powering through all 360 degrees of push and pull with more muscles and greater confidence.

Some riders develop subtle accents to their stroke in terms of foot position; one technique involves imagining your foot is an ice cream scooper, toe-ing into the bottom of the rotation... that's something you can't do effectively without your brain being assured of the union with the crankarm.

Anyways, that's the short of it. Without getting terribly technical in terms of theory, you can allow your body to make lots of discoveries. You'll be a faster and more efficient rider any way you slice it.

Good luck!