Clipless pedals

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Gavin, Mar 17, 2004.

  1. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Richard Belcher wrote:
    >
    >> The one thing everyone will tell you is to stick with it.
    >> Yes, you will fall over a few times but it's usually when
    >> you stop go to put your foot down then...TIMBER... we've
    >> all been there so don't worry. Practice, practice,
    >> practice...it'll soon be second nature to clip
    >> in/out & you'll wonder how you ever used to get around
    >> without them.
    >
    > Worth noting is that once you're used to it it's actually
    > *easier* than getting out of clips and straps, especially
    > if you've got straps done up tight and have to stop
    > unexpectedly.

    Oh, gosh, yes, *much* easier. Back in the day getting your
    foot out was such a bloody hassle that you'd adopt any sort
    of strategy to avoid doing it, up to and including track-
    standing at traffic lights. Clipless is *far* easier.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke)
    http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the
    dawn. ;; Jim Morrison

  2. Gavin

    Gavin Guest

    Many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread - a
    very interesting discussion!

    The consensus seems to be to definitely convert over to
    clipless and possibly start off with SPDs and try several
    different shoes to find a comfortable one. After getting
    used to these I may want to have a closer look at other
    types of pedal - Look seem to be highly recommended.

    Thanks again, folks - here's hoping I don't suffer too many
    bruises on my bum!

    Gavin

    "davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > helen wrote:
    > >Just remember to unclip *before* your bike comes to a
    > >halt
    >
    > Heh. Yes. I've been using SPD-Rs for about a month or so
    > now and I am well and truly converted to the clipless
    > cause. Of course, having only tried SPD-Rs I can't say
    > how good they are compared to other makes/models. But
    > I'm happy with them. But I certainly like them a lot
    > more than toeclips and straps, which I have never got on
    > with at all.
    >
    > I've only actually fallen off once and that was because I
    > stopped quite sharply without thinking to unclip first. I
    > just went over sideways - fortunately landing on the
    > pavement, and doubly fortunate that there was no-one
    > around to see it happen. It was more comical than painful.
    > A bigger problem than falling is getting my feet back in
    > the pedals when pulling away from junctions or lights, but
    > I'm gradually getting better with practice.
    >
    > Apart from that, I can only concur with what others have
    > said. And no way am I ever going back to platforms!
    >

    > --

  3. Temp3st

    Temp3st Guest

    I have recently converted to the clipless cause. Got
    myself a set of SPD-SL's and I have to say they are things
    of beauty.

    I've not fallen once whilst using them and clipping in and
    out is a breeze.

    ...but then what do you expect from a pedal partly designed
    by Lance Armstrong?

    ...also got myself some super fly shoes to go with
    them...but then I guess I've always been a bit of a poser ;)

  4. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I don't find walking in Looks a huge problem, and if I
    > wanted to walk I would have left the bike at home in the
    > first place.

    Unworthy of you. What happened to the champion of mixed mode
    transport? What if you want to cycle to your destination and
    walk around when you get there without changing your shoes -
    eg. the office, the shopping centre, the library?

    > I find Looks more comfortable - less inclined to
    > hotspots. I also find them easier to clip in than Spuds.
    > I do use both.

    I've not had problems with hotspots although I know some
    people do. I use both Spuds and Speedplays and have ridden
    with Looks. The Speedplays, and probably the Looks, are
    superior to the Spuds for pure road cycling but IMO not
    enough so to outweigh the advantage of Spuds for utility
    cycling. However, wouldn't it be boring if we all thought
    the same? It is, however, tricky for the OP who is looking
    to buy his first clipless system as making the wrong choice
    would be expensive.

    --
    Dave...

  5. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Temp3st" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > ...but then what do you expect from a pedal partly
    > designed by Lance Armstrong?

    "Partly designed by" as in "Hey Lance, what do you look for
    in a pedal system?" and "Please accept this big wodge of
    cash and sign here."

    > ...also got myself some super fly shoes to go with
    > them...but then I guess I've always been a bit of a
    > poser ;)

    It must be a blast being able to walk on the ceiling though.

    --
    Dave...

  6. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    davek <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I've only actually fallen off once and that was because I
    > stopped quite sharply without thinking to unclip first. I
    > just went over sideways - fortunately landing on the
    > pavement, and doubly fortunate that there was no-one
    > around to see it happen.

    This may well be the first recorded instance of falling over
    without an audience.

    --
    Dave...

  7. Philo

    Philo Guest

    [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > The best falling over story I heard was from Doug at Moore
    > Bros in Twickenham. When he first went clipless he was
    > worried about falling so on approaching his first set of
    > traffic lights, naturally provided with an adequate supply
    > of spectators, he decided to lean nonchalantly on a
    > bollard rather than attempt to unclip. Unfortunately the
    > bollard was not bolted down.

    I thought I had the hang of clipless before I used them off-
    road, but using them for the first time in the woods, I
    bumped into a hidden stump and fell very slowly into a bed
    of nettles (face first of course). So, I managed not to
    fall off in public but had to explain a nettle-rashed to
    everyone I met.

    I think I would have preferred the public fall instead.
    Still, I'd never go back to platforms.

    PhilO

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > I don't find walking in Looks a huge problem, and if I
    > > wanted to walk I would have left the bike at home in the
    > > first place.

    > Unworthy of you. What happened to the champion of mixed
    > mode transport? What if you want to cycle to your
    > destination and walk around when you get there without
    > changing your shoes - eg. the office, the shopping centre,
    > the library?

    Most of my riding is from fixed point A, being Home, to
    fixed point B, being the Office. I have a pair of shoes in
    the Office.

    When I ride to the shops I usually wear trainers or Shimano
    boots, in either case I take Another Bike which has
    Spudforms on it.

    > > I find Looks more comfortable - less inclined to
    > > hotspots. I also find them easier to clip in than Spuds.
    > > I do use both.

    > I've not had problems with hotspots although I know some
    > people do. I use both Spuds and Speedplays and have ridden
    > with Looks. The Speedplays, and probably the Looks, are
    > superior to the Spuds for pure road cycling but IMO not
    > enough so to outweigh the advantage of Spuds for utility
    > cycling.

    Define utility cycling. See above.

    I have nothing against Spuds, I actually have my Spud pedals
    on the bike at the moment so I can wear my SPD boots when
    it's cold (likelihood steadily declining). But Looks are
    very good, especially on hills.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  9. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Define utility cycling. See above.

    Cycling that has a practical purpose other than pure sport,
    recreation or exercise. Of course that doesn't include
    touring, and touring is also likely to involve a certain
    amount of walking.

    > I have nothing against Spuds, I actually have my Spud
    > pedals on the bike at the moment so I can wear my SPD
    > boots when it's cold (likelihood steadily declining). But
    > Looks are very good, especially on hills.

    As I said before I think this discussion should be useful to
    the OP. We actually seem to have similar opinions of the
    merits of each pedal system.

    --
    Dave...

  10. Gavin

    Gavin Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > As I said before I think this discussion should be useful
    > to the OP. We actually seem to have similar opinions of
    > the merits of each pedal system.
    >
    > --
    > Dave..

    You're right, Dave - as the OP I have found this discussion
    very useful and can't wait to get my first clipless pedals!

    Thanks again to all who contributed.

    Regards,

    Gavin

  11. davek

    davek New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2004
    Dave Kahn wrote:
    >This may well be the first recorded instance of falling over without an audience.

    Yes - and because of that I don't really consider it a proper fall. :)

    d.

  12. David Waters

    David Waters Guest

    I use SPD's with Sidi shoes on my tourer and fpd's (a cheap
    alternative to shimano) duo pedals (spd cleat one side, flat
    the other side) with shimano shoes. But i use both shoes on
    both bikes.

  13. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    "David Waters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I use SPD's with Sidi shoes on my tourer and fpd's (a
    > cheap alternative to shimano) duo pedals (spd cleat one
    > side, flat the other side) with shimano shoes. But i use
    > both shoes on both bikes.

    My friend had a pair of those FPDs but found that pedalling
    caused the bearing races to tighten on one side. He'd
    already fiddled with them so it was too late to take them
    back to the LBS.

    I don't know if the offer still stands, but SJS were
    doing the new mud-shedding version of the PD-M515 (PD-
    M520) for a lowly £19.99. I'm currently running a pair
    and they seem fine.

    Jon

  14. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 23:35:02 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >Do they effectively shed mud? I've been having some bother
    >with SPDs jamming up with mud, lately, and would chearfully
    >shell out for some that didn't.

    Mine get bunged up with ice and slush in the wrong
    conditions. Eggbeaters are prolly better, I guess.

    --
    Guy
    ===