Clipless pedals

in message <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Richard Belcher wrote:
>
>> The one thing everyone will tell you is to stick with it.
>> Yes, you will fall over a few times but it's usually when
>> you stop go to put your foot down then...TIMBER... we've
>> all been there so don't worry. Practice, practice,
>> practice...it'll soon be second nature to clip
>> in/out & you'll wonder how you ever used to get around
>> without them.
>
> Worth noting is that once you're used to it it's actually
> *easier* than getting out of clips and straps, especially
> if you've got straps done up tight and have to stop
> unexpectedly.

Oh, gosh, yes, *much* easier. Back in the day getting your
foot out was such a bloody hassle that you'd adopt any sort
of strategy to avoid doing it, up to and including track-
standing at traffic lights. Clipless is *far* easier.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the
dawn. ;; Jim Morrison

Many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread - a
very interesting discussion!

The consensus seems to be to definitely convert over to
clipless and possibly start off with SPDs and try several
different shoes to find a comfortable one. After getting
used to these I may want to have a closer look at other
types of pedal - Look seem to be highly recommended.

Thanks again, folks - here's hoping I don't suffer too many
bruises on my bum!

Gavin

"davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> helen wrote:
> >Just remember to unclip *before* your bike comes to a
> >halt
>
> Heh. Yes. I've been using SPD-Rs for about a month or so
> now and I am well and truly converted to the clipless
> cause. Of course, having only tried SPD-Rs I can't say
> how good they are compared to other makes/models. But
> I'm happy with them. But I certainly like them a lot
> more than toeclips and straps, which I have never got on
> with at all.
>
> I've only actually fallen off once and that was because I
> stopped quite sharply without thinking to unclip first. I
> just went over sideways - fortunately landing on the
> pavement, and doubly fortunate that there was no-one
> around to see it happen. It was more comical than painful.
> A bigger problem than falling is getting my feet back in
> the pedals when pulling away from junctions or lights, but
> I'm gradually getting better with practice.
>
> Apart from that, I can only concur with what others have
> said. And no way am I ever going back to platforms!
>

> --

I have recently converted to the clipless cause. Got
myself a set of SPD-SL's and I have to say they are things
of beauty.

I've not fallen once whilst using them and clipping in and
out is a breeze.

...but then what do you expect from a pedal partly designed
by Lance Armstrong?

...also got myself some super fly shoes to go with
them...but then I guess I've always been a bit of a poser ;)

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I don't find walking in Looks a huge problem, and if I
> wanted to walk I would have left the bike at home in the
> first place.

Unworthy of you. What happened to the champion of mixed mode
transport? What if you want to cycle to your destination and
walk around when you get there without changing your shoes -
eg. the office, the shopping centre, the library?

> I find Looks more comfortable - less inclined to
> hotspots. I also find them easier to clip in than Spuds.
> I do use both.

I've not had problems with hotspots although I know some
people do. I use both Spuds and Speedplays and have ridden
with Looks. The Speedplays, and probably the Looks, are
superior to the Spuds for pure road cycling but IMO not
enough so to outweigh the advantage of Spuds for utility
cycling. However, wouldn't it be boring if we all thought
the same? It is, however, tricky for the OP who is looking
to buy his first clipless system as making the wrong choice
would be expensive.

--
Dave...

"Temp3st" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> ...but then what do you expect from a pedal partly
> designed by Lance Armstrong?

"Partly designed by" as in "Hey Lance, what do you look for
in a pedal system?" and "Please accept this big wodge of
cash and sign here."

> ...also got myself some super fly shoes to go with
> them...but then I guess I've always been a bit of a
> poser ;)

It must be a blast being able to walk on the ceiling though.

--
Dave...

davek <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I've only actually fallen off once and that was because I
> stopped quite sharply without thinking to unclip first. I
> just went over sideways - fortunately landing on the
> pavement, and doubly fortunate that there was no-one
> around to see it happen.

This may well be the first recorded instance of falling over
without an audience.

--
Dave...

[email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> The best falling over story I heard was from Doug at Moore
> Bros in Twickenham. When he first went clipless he was
> worried about falling so on approaching his first set of
> traffic lights, naturally provided with an adequate supply
> of spectators, he decided to lean nonchalantly on a
> bollard rather than attempt to unclip. Unfortunately the
> bollard was not bolted down.

I thought I had the hang of clipless before I used them off-
road, but using them for the first time in the woods, I
bumped into a hidden stump and fell very slowly into a bed
of nettles (face first of course). So, I managed not to
fall off in public but had to explain a nettle-rashed to
everyone I met.

I think I would have preferred the public fall instead.
Still, I'd never go back to platforms.

PhilO

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > I don't find walking in Looks a huge problem, and if I
> > wanted to walk I would have left the bike at home in the
> > first place.

> Unworthy of you. What happened to the champion of mixed
> mode transport? What if you want to cycle to your
> destination and walk around when you get there without
> changing your shoes - eg. the office, the shopping centre,
> the library?

Most of my riding is from fixed point A, being Home, to
fixed point B, being the Office. I have a pair of shoes in
the Office.

When I ride to the shops I usually wear trainers or Shimano
boots, in either case I take Another Bike which has
Spudforms on it.

> > I find Looks more comfortable - less inclined to
> > hotspots. I also find them easier to clip in than Spuds.
> > I do use both.

> I've not had problems with hotspots although I know some
> people do. I use both Spuds and Speedplays and have ridden
> with Looks. The Speedplays, and probably the Looks, are
> superior to the Spuds for pure road cycling but IMO not
> enough so to outweigh the advantage of Spuds for utility
> cycling.

Define utility cycling. See above.

I have nothing against Spuds, I actually have my Spud pedals
on the bike at the moment so I can wear my SPD boots when
it's cold (likelihood steadily declining). But Looks are
very good, especially on hills.

--
Guy
===

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Define utility cycling. See above.

Cycling that has a practical purpose other than pure sport,
recreation or exercise. Of course that doesn't include
touring, and touring is also likely to involve a certain
amount of walking.

> I have nothing against Spuds, I actually have my Spud
> pedals on the bike at the moment so I can wear my SPD
> boots when it's cold (likelihood steadily declining). But
> Looks are very good, especially on hills.

As I said before I think this discussion should be useful to
the OP. We actually seem to have similar opinions of the
merits of each pedal system.

--
Dave...

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> As I said before I think this discussion should be useful
> to the OP. We actually seem to have similar opinions of
> the merits of each pedal system.
>
> --
> Dave..

You're right, Dave - as the OP I have found this discussion
very useful and can't wait to get my first clipless pedals!

Thanks again to all who contributed.

Regards,

Gavin

Dave Kahn wrote:
>This may well be the first recorded instance of falling over without an audience.

Yes - and because of that I don't really consider it a proper fall. :)

d.

I use SPD's with Sidi shoes on my tourer and fpd's (a cheap
alternative to shimano) duo pedals (spd cleat one side, flat
the other side) with shimano shoes. But i use both shoes on
both bikes.

"David Waters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I use SPD's with Sidi shoes on my tourer and fpd's (a
> cheap alternative to shimano) duo pedals (spd cleat one
> side, flat the other side) with shimano shoes. But i use
> both shoes on both bikes.

My friend had a pair of those FPDs but found that pedalling
caused the bearing races to tighten on one side. He'd
already fiddled with them so it was too late to take them
back to the LBS.

I don't know if the offer still stands, but SJS were
doing the new mud-shedding version of the PD-M515 (PD-
M520) for a lowly £19.99. I'm currently running a pair
and they seem fine.

Jon

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 23:35:02 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>Do they effectively shed mud? I've been having some bother
>with SPDs jamming up with mud, lately, and would chearfully
>shell out for some that didn't.

Mine get bunged up with ice and slush in the wrong
conditions. Eggbeaters are prolly better, I guess.

--
Guy
===