Clipless pedals

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Neil, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. Neil

    Neil Guest

    Which is the best way to twist your foot to release from clipless pedals? Heal towards the bike or
    heal away from the bike? I was told heal away from the bike, but I think it is easier the other way.
    Any comments?

    Tags:

  2. troyq

    troyq New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2003
    Hi Neil,
    There is no strict rule but the general standard is definately heel away from the bike. Probably for safety reasons as disengaging the pedal inwards while travelling could be very hazardous for your spokes, and more importantly for your feet.

    FWIW - I also believe there are some pedals that only disengage outwards anyway so although it might feel awkward to begin with, in the long run I would be forcing myself to go outwards.

  3. Mpd

    Mpd Guest

    "Neil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Which is the best way to twist your foot to release from clipless pedals? Heal towards the bike or
    > heal away from the bike? I was told heal away from the bike, but I think it is easier the other
    way.
    > Any comments?

    just do what feels natural, and works every time I have never deliberately tried inwards, but who
    knows what is going on when going over the bar. To me naturally I kick out - might be part of
    gaining balance or in right position to put foot down when released.

    I'm only experienced with SPDs. Are there different float considerations for other systems ?

  4. Mark Lee

    Mark Lee Guest

    "Neil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Which is the best way to twist your foot to release from clipless pedals? Heal towards the bike or
    > heal away from the bike? I was told heal away from the bike, but I think it is easier the other
    way.
    > Any comments?

    Don't be a "gumby". Heel out is the way. It works at any point of the clock. Heel in is fine as you
    go over the bars or when you're lying on your back with the bike on top of you in peak hour
    traffic. Mark Lee

  5. On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 20:51:32 +1000, "Neil" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Which is the best way to twist your foot to release from clipless pedals? Heal towards the bike or
    >heal away from the bike? I was told heal away from the bike, but I think it is easier the other
    >way. Any comments?

    If it's easier for you, to push the heel towards the bike, then that way is the best way for you to
    release from clipless pedals.

    ---
    Cheers

    PeterC

    [Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
    [and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

  6. Chester1

    Chester1 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2003
    I tried heel in toward the bike for a little while when I was having trouble disengaging my cleat..until I found out what the problem was...
    Out is better because..
    1. you get your socks dirty on the chain..
    2. you can get your heel caught under the chain stay or the top of the chain.
    3. it takes longer to get your foot onto the deck once you have disengaged. Particularly undesirable at the lights, when you chance falling over in the bunch, and making a fool of yourself.

    Just a few more reasons..