Clipless platform - suggestion?

Daddy

Guest
Not really a weight weenie, and liking the added comfort of having a
clipless/platform combo. (with a real easy clip in/out capability).

interested in your thoughts for either the Crankbrothers Mallet C or ATAC
Time Z? (for use on my SB). Something else?

On my hardtail I've been using the M647.

TIA.

-grig

On Feb 3, 11:51 am, Daddy <[email protected]> wrote:
> Not really a weight weenie, and liking the added comfort of having a
> clipless/platform combo.  (with a real easy clip in/out capability).
>
> interested in your thoughts for either the Crankbrothers Mallet C or ATAC
> Time Z?  (for use on my SB).  Something else?
>
> On my hardtail I've been using the M647.
>
> TIA.
>
> -grig

I'm not familiar with your choices, but have a comment regarding
"something else". I've been using Shimano M545s for a few years now,
and am very pleased with them.

"Daddy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Not really a weight weenie, and liking the added comfort of having a
> clipless/platform combo. (with a real easy clip in/out capability).
>
> interested in your thoughts for either the Crankbrothers Mallet C or ATAC
> Time Z? (for use on my SB). Something else?
>
> On my hardtail I've been using the M647.
>
> TIA.
>
> -grig

I would recommend the ATAC's. I have the mallet's and they are difficult to
release if you have normal clipless shoes with lug treads. Lost six weeks of
biking due to a severe ankle twist because I couldn't release after going
over an 8 foot drop. Nice, big ankle now, 2 years later! Never had that
problem with the ATAC's. Tried all sorts of mods to make the mallet's relese
consistently with lug tread, but to no avail. I suspect flat soles may be
ok, but I want the extra traction when walking, thank-you very much.

Just my opinion and experience, but I hope it helps.

Daddy wrote:
> Not really a weight weenie, and liking the added comfort of having a
> clipless/platform combo. (with a real easy clip in/out capability).
>
> interested in your thoughts for either the Crankbrothers Mallet C or ATAC
> Time Z? (for use on my SB). Something else?
>
> On my hardtail I've been using the M647.
>
> TIA.
>
> -grig

Stick with Shimano then you'll be all SPD and they all release with the
same fell nothing to relearn.

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:51:11 +0000, Daddy wrote:

> Not really a weight weenie, and liking the added comfort of having a
> clipless/platform combo. (with a real easy clip in/out capability).
>
> interested in your thoughts for either the Crankbrothers Mallet C or
> ATAC Time Z? (for use on my SB). Something else?
>
> On my hardtail I've been using the M647.
>
> TIA.
>
> -grig

The more I look at the Time ATAC XE or XS, the more I like them. I may
just dump the whole clipless/platform combo.

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:51:11 +0000, Daddy wrote:

> Not really a weight weenie, and liking the added comfort of having a
> clipless/platform combo. (with a real easy clip in/out capability).
>
> interested in your thoughts for either the Crankbrothers Mallet C or
> ATAC Time Z? (for use on my SB). Something else?
>
> On my hardtail I've been using the M647.
>
> TIA.
>
> -grig

I bought a set of ATAC MTB's off craigslist. Gonna give those a whirl on
my Switchblade. :) Granted, their not platform combo's, but you gotta
grow up sometime....