Clipless Question

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Moosebear, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Moosebear

    Moosebear New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2003
    I'm considering the move to clipless pedals on my BikeE. I'm a bit afraid of the learning curve/falling factor of the twist-out pedal.

    As I ride, it occurs to me; on a CLWB 'bent with a low bottom bracket like the BikeE, is it not possible that another design of clipless pedal might not serve better than those designed for uprights?

    I mean, on a low BB bent such as a BikeE the feet are neither perpendicular to the ground, (as on a high-racer,) nor are they parallell to the ground, as on an upright.

    If I had clipless pedals that released when I simply slid my feet forward, wouldn't that maybe be more natural and easier to deal with than a twist-release?

    On a bikeE, the foot position is close to a 45 degree angle to the ground. Why would my feet need to be "clipped" in at all, if gravity will keep them mostly where they need to be? Could they not just be hooked in so that a simple lift of my foot would release? Is this silly?

    Please illuminate me in my ignorance.

    Tags:

  2. Stubbe

    Stubbe New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2003
    On a bikeE, the foot position is close to a 45 degree angle to the ground. Why would my feet need to be "clipped" in at all, if gravity will keep them mostly where they need to be? Could they not just be hooked in so that a simple lift of my foot would release? Is this silly?

    Please illuminate me in my ignorance. [/B][/QUOTE]

    I have just switched to clipless on my Vision and will be putting my toe clip pedals on my wife's BikeE. That might be the solution or a happy middle road for you to take. Save some $$ too. I've ridden lots of mile in the toe clips and they seemed to work much better than the regular platform pedals with nothing to hold your foot in place.

    Ken

  3. Evsolutions

    Evsolutions Guest

    Yo Have you tried Power Grips yet. I have used them 2 years
    without a problem. Slide your shoe in and turn your foot to
    the right side to tighten the strap and straighten the foot
    out and you are locked in. Get the XLarge straps and you can
    ride with winter boots on.

    Joshua
    *****
    "Moosebear" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm considering the move to clipless pedals on my BikeE.
    > I'm a bit afraid of the learning curve/falling factor of
    > the twist-out pedal.
    >
    > As I ride, it occurs to me; on a CLWB 'bent with a low
    > bottom bracket like the BikeE, is it not possible that
    > another design of clipless pedal might not serve better
    > than those designed for uprights?
    >
    > I mean, on a low BB bent such as a BikeE the feet are
    > neither perpendicular to the ground, (as on a high-racer,)
    > nor are they parallell to the ground, as on an upright.
    >
    > If I had clipless pedals that released when I simply slid
    > my feet forward, wouldn't that maybe be more natural and
    > easier to deal with than a twist-release?
    >
    > On a bikeE, the foot position is close to a 45 degree
    > angle to the ground. Why would my feet need to be
    > "clipped" in at all, if gravity will keep them mostly
    > where they need to be? Could they not just be hooked
    > in so that a simple lift of my foot would release? Is
    > this silly?
    >
    > Please illuminate me in my ignorance.
    >

    > --

  4. On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 03:46:30 GMT, Moosebear
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If I had clipless pedals that released when I simply slid
    >my feet forward, wouldn't that maybe be more natural and
    >easier to deal with than a twist-release?

    As long as Shimano puts out SPuDs that can be set so low
    that the twist out is extremely easy, I don't see the market
    developing. Since for reasons you describe the twist is not
    an issue with a recumbent, you can pretty much put the SPuD
    adjustment screw to the max release and not worry about
    popping out (do the same on a diamond frame and best not
    relax by leaning into a pedal).

    Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on
    two wheels...

  5. Mike Beckett

    Mike Beckett Guest

    I had the same fear when first learning to ride my Speed
    Ross..at first I used downhill MB pedals (broad with
    studs)..they worked fine..then I put 1 clipless pedal on the
    left side, as I always use my right leg down first and push
    off with my left..that way I always had 1 leg free and I
    could practice releasing my left leg. By the second day I
    had both clipless pedals on. I was very aware of my feet
    clipped in and always anticipated stopping by getting my
    feet unclipped in plenty of time. This process soon becomes
    automatic, and even in a panic stop I have my feet loose in
    a flash. Mike, Speed Ross swb with over 5000 miles.
    PS..I use TIME clipless pedals..it is virtually impossible
    to clip yourself back in by mistake and the 'platform' is
    broad enough to use as a regular pedal.

    Moosebear <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm considering the move to clipless pedals on my BikeE.
    > I'm a bit afraid of the learning curve/falling factor of
    > the twist-out pedal.

  6. Mike Beckett

    Mike Beckett Guest

    I had the same fear when first learning to ride my Speed
    Ross..at first I used downhill MB pedals (broad with
    studs)..they worked fine..then I put 1 clipless pedal on the
    left side, as I always use my right leg down first and push
    off with my left..that way I always had 1 leg free and I
    could practice releasing my left leg. By the second day I
    had both clipless pedals on. I was very aware of my feet
    clipped in and always anticipated stopping by getting my
    feet unclipped in plenty of time. This process soon becomes
    automatic, and even in a panic stop I have my feet loose in
    a flash. Mike, Speed Ross swb with over 5000 miles.
    PS..I use TIME clipless pedals..it is virtually impossible
    to clip yourself back in by mistake and the 'platform' is
    broad enough to use as a regular pedal.

    Moosebear <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm considering the move to clipless pedals on my BikeE.
    > I'm a bit afraid of the learning curve/falling factor of
    > the twist-out pedal.

  7. Mark V

    Mark V Guest

    I started with a bikeE and now have a Velo-SMGT and have
    enjoyed the clipless on both. What I appreciate most about
    them is that when, for some stupid reason, my chain jumps or
    I slip into another gear, my foot doesn't fly off the
    peddal. You are correct about gravity keeping your foot on
    the bikeE but think about the advantage in increased
    efficiency as you pull your foot back. You soon learn to
    peddal in a circular motion rather than squares. It helps
    develop different muscles in your legs too. :) Mark

  8. Mark V

    Mark V Guest

    I started with a bikeE and now have a Velo-SMGT and have
    enjoyed the clipless on both. What I appreciate most about
    them is that when, for some stupid reason, my chain jumps or
    I slip into another gear, my foot doesn't fly off the
    peddal. You are correct about gravity keeping your foot on
    the bikeE but think about the advantage in increased
    efficiency as you pull your foot back. You soon learn to
    peddal in a circular motion rather than squares. It helps
    develop different muscles in your legs too. :) Mark

  9. Kevin Graham

    Kevin Graham Guest

    I posted this a few years ago:

    To stop your foot from falling off the pedal, but still
    have it free:

    2" patio chair webbing (Walmart) Tie it to the pedal to make
    a sling for your heel to hang in You are done.

    This is cheap, quick, weighs nothing. Assuming that your
    foot is hanging such that that ball of your foot is where
    it's happy........you can also easily move it up a tad for a
    temporary change if needed.

  10. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    [email protected] (Kevin Graham) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I posted this a few years ago:
    >
    > To stop your foot from falling off the pedal, but still
    > have it free:
    >
    > 2" patio chair webbing (Walmart) Tie it to the pedal to
    > make a sling for your heel to hang in You are done.
    >
    > This is cheap, quick, weighs nothing. Assuming that your
    > foot is hanging such that that ball of your foot is where
    > it's happy........you can also easily move it up a tad for
    > a temporary change if needed.

    I'm coming into this a little late...doesn't your foot slip
    off on a hard pull? I don't pull up as often as I did on a
    DF, but I do still pull.

    Peace, Dennis