clipless riding

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ren, May 23, 2003.

  1. Ren

    Ren Guest

    Just got clipless pedals yesterday and find them great for climbing and endurance. But my legs hurt
    in places they never have before - is that because of new muscles being used or is it positioning?

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (ren) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Just got clipless pedals yesterday and find them great for climbing and endurance. But my legs
    > hurt in places they never have before - is that because of new muscles being used or is it
    > positioning?

    If the pain is along the sides of your legs, especially on only one leg, your cleats are likely
    adjusted improperly.

  3. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    ren <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just got clipless pedals yesterday and find them great for climbing and endurance. But my legs
    > hurt in places they never have before - is that because of new muscles being used or is it
    > positioning?

    Take three steps forward then look at where your feet are positioned, if one foot points outward or
    inward slightly you need to adjust the cleats to compensate. Then clip just the shoes into the
    pedals and make sure they clear the frame. Make minor adjustments and your muscles will slowly adapt
    to the riding position. It takes time and best to cycle gently and concentrate on doing circles with
    your feet as you pedal.

  4. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

  5. "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > ren <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Just got clipless pedals yesterday and find them great for climbing and endurance. But my legs
    > > hurt in places they never have before - is that because of new muscles being used or is it
    > > positioning?
    >
    > Take three steps forward then look at where your feet are positioned, if
    one
    > foot points outward or inward slightly you need to adjust the cleats to compensate. Then clip just
    > the shoes into the pedals and make sure they clear the frame. Make minor adjustments and your
    > muscles will slowly adapt to the riding position. It takes time and best to cycle gently and
    > concentrate on doing circles with your feet as you pedal.

    Pedal with one leg and smooth out your rhythm.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training