clipless sandals

atomship47

Aug 21, 2006
i'm going to upgrade to clipless shoes/pedals. right now, i'm considering a really ventilated shoe or sandal and a mtb shoe that isn't vented and repels water. couple of questions;

are the clipless sandals (e.g. shimano sd65) reliable and functional? would i be better off with the vittoria free sandal (which appears to be more like a really vented casual shoe)?

also, does anyone have experience with non-vented shoes? I ride rain or shine as long as the temp is in the double-digits (farenheit). I'm thinking I'll need shoes that aren't vented even if i get the outer boot for winter riding.

fwiw, i'm going to use them with the shimano caged spd mtb pedals. i have a trek hybrid and mostly ride on the road and "rails to trails."

atomship47 said:
i'm going to upgrade to clipless shoes/pedals. right now, i'm considering a really ventilated shoe or sandal and a mtb shoe that isn't vented and repels water. couple of questions;

are the clipless sandals (e.g. shimano sd65) reliable and functional? would i be better off with the vittoria free sandal (which appears to be more like a really vented casual shoe)?

also, does anyone have experience with non-vented shoes? I ride rain or shine as long as the temp is in the double-digits (farenheit). I'm thinking I'll need shoes that aren't vented even if i get the outer boot for winter riding.

fwiw, i'm going to use them with the shimano caged spd mtb pedals. i have a trek hybrid and mostly ride on the road and "rails to trails."
I've had shimano clipless sandles for several years and love them when riding my mountain bike. I don't use them when riding singletrack or anything like that but have ridden the entire white rim trail with them as well as thousands of miles of road riding. So, I'd definately says they're reliable and durable. I don't know how they compare to other brands since they were the only brand available at the time I purchased them. People will scoff at them (mostly roadies) when I wear them but I'm not one to care what people think. (I also wear a camelbak on my road bike ;)...) I really love the way they feel on hot days. Not having to peel off socks after a sweaty ride is awesome!

+1 on the sandals. I have a pair I use when the weather is hot and I'm just cruising around the streets. Wouldn't go off-road or anything like that either.

thanks for the feedback. i think i'll try them.

now i have a different, but related question. i was pretty set on the shimano caged spd's (pd m424). i'm sure there will be times when i go riding with just my sneakers. a guy at a different lbs today told me those really aren't very comfortable for anything other than a ride around the neighborhood and that i should go for the multi-purpose pedal (pd m324). for those of you who have used these, can you tell me your experience with them?

atomship47 said:

I hope I'n doing this reply right.
my wife and I have had Shimano sandals for over five years, (same pair), and we love them. We ride tandem a lot and they are all we ever wear.
Durable as heck as they have been across Iowa, in the Florida keys, several trips in California, and soon to join us on a tour in New Zealand.
When the weather cools, I just add socks, (white of course) for that dorky look my wife so loves.

SWITCHBOX104 said:

I hope I'n doing this reply right.
my wife and I have had Shimano sandals for over five years, (same pair), and we love them. We ride tandem a lot and they are all we ever wear.
Durable as heck as they have been across Iowa, in the Florida keys, several trips in California, and soon to join us on a tour in New Zealand.
When the weather cools, I just add socks, (white of course) for that dorky look my wife so loves.

I just had a horrible vision of two people rideing naked on a tandem, wearing nothing but sandels.

Insaneclimber said:
I just had a horrible vision of two people rideing naked on a tandem, wearing nothing but sandels.
You wouldn't knock it if you tried it. Wife and I bike naked frequently.

atomship47 said:
thanks for the feedback. i think i'll try them.

now i have a different, but related question. i was pretty set on the shimano caged spd's (pd m424). i'm sure there will be times when i go riding with just my sneakers. a guy at a different lbs today told me those really aren't very comfortable for anything other than a ride around the neighborhood and that i should go for the multi-purpose pedal (pd m324). for those of you who have used these, can you tell me your experience with them?
Been using sandals for years and would never go back to smelly socks. I also love the combo pedals that allow me to jump on the bike to go around the block with my son when I don't want to take time to put the bike sandals on.

Maxxx

Maxxx said:
You wouldn't knock it if you tried it. Wife and I bike naked frequently.
HA ! I've been on a breezy ride or two motorcycling, but would feel a little "vulnerable" perched on my body geometry 143 saddle.
Maybe next time I'm in Iowa...
Till then real shoes and gloves are my minimal equipment. Safety first !