Clipless Shoes - Survey Request!!

jschocke

Mar 1, 2012
Hi Guys,

Looking for input for a project I am working on involving clipless bicycle shoes. If you see this and would be so kind to fill out the questions below (all, some, or any!), I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Jeff

Survey:

1. [SIZE= medium]What do you like most about your clipless bicycle shoes?[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE= medium]How often and when do you find yourself walking in your clipless bicycle shoes (circle all that apply)?
    A) Not very often B) Every couple rides C) Every ride D) Multiple times every ride
    E) Mid-ride (break) F) Only beginning/end of ride
    [/SIZE]

1. [SIZE= medium]What is one feature or function you would like added to clipless bicycling shoes?[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE= medium]How much did you or would you pay for clipless bicycling shoes?
    A) $0-25 B) $25-50 C) $50-$100
    D) $100-$150 E) $150-$200 D) >$200
    [/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE= medium]Rank these clipless bicycling shoe features’ value from 1 (not important) to 5 (very important):[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Ease of clipping in __ [/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Ease of replacing cleats __[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Safe to walk in __[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Comfortable while walking __[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Durable (use before replacement) __[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Aerodynamic __[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Lightweight __[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Aesthetics (colors/styles) __[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Comfortable while riding__[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]List others and rank:[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE= medium]Have you ever had difficulty clipping in due to worn cleats? Y / N[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE= medium]What has caused it to be difficult to clip into your pedal with clipless shoes?[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE= medium]Have you ever slipped and fallen or nearly fallen while wearing clipless shoes? Y/N[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE= medium]How often do you replace your cleats due to wear? [/SIZE]

Originally Posted by jschocke .

Hi Guys,

Looking for input for a project I am working on involving clipless bicycle shoes. If you see this and would be so kind to fill out the questions below (all, some, or any!), I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Jeff

Survey:

1. [SIZE= medium]What do you like most about your clipless bicycle shoes?[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE= medium]How often and when do you find yourself walking in your clipless bicycle shoes (circle all that apply)?
    A) Not very often B) Every couple rides C) Every ride D) Multiple times every ride
    [/SIZE]

1. [SIZE= medium]What is one feature or function you would like added to clipless bicycling shoes?[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE= medium]How much did you or would you pay for clipless bicycling shoes?
    [/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE= medium]Rank these clipless bicycling shoe features’ value from 1 (not important) to 5 (very important):[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Lightweight __[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Aesthetics (colors/styles) __[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Comfortable while riding__[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE= medium]Have you ever had difficulty clipping in due to worn cleats? Y / N[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE= medium]What has caused it to be difficult to clip into your pedal with clipless shoes?[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE= medium]Have you ever slipped and fallen or nearly fallen while wearing clipless shoes? Y/N[/SIZE]
1. Fit
2. (F)
3. BOA lacing system
4. C
5. Proper fit and well ventilated all other features listed 1
6. N in fact worn cleats engage easier
7. Cant say no difficulty's for me
8. Nope
9. Every time they are worn beyond the wear indicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschocke .

Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Jeff

Survey:

[SIZE= medium]fit, ability to clip in, a sole with a recessed cleat, buckles - no velcro, no laces.[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

[SIZE= medium]For my commute, only beginning and end of ride. For my MTB, multiple times every ride.[/SIZE]

For winter boots, easier entry and faster drying. for both summer and winter shoes, more durable soles, or easy/inexpensive sole replacement. Improved fit for wide feet.

[/SIZE]
    Well, I've picked up a few at sales in the $100 range, but have payed in the >$200 range as well
[SIZE= medium]That's generally a trait of the pedal/cleat, not the shoe. [/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]That's generally a trait of assembly care, not shoe or cleat. A dab of weak threadlock, and some hot glue to prevent the tool bit recess from getting jammed with grit and you're good for years. But possibility to replace cleat anchor insert - I'd give that a 3. [/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Look, if it's safe to walk in, it probably has a recessed cleat and a reasonably non-slip heel. If it has those, then it's probably OK (from a comfort perspective) to walk shorter distances in anyhow. But yeah, safe - 5.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= medium]OK, chafing is bad, but actually comfy isn't needed. let's say 3[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]kinda depends on cost but call it a 4[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]2. It's more a case of not trapping too much crud, or catching on things rather than being streamlined. [/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Lightweight _3[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Aesthetics (colors/styles) _2[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Comfortable while riding_5[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE= medium]Have you ever had difficulty clipping in due to worn cleats? Y / N [/SIZE]
    No. It's usually the retaining capacity that goes away
snow, mud. Slipping cleats. Muscle memory needing to be reset when switching between shoes.
    Sure

The crank brothers - at least yearly. The Shimanos - maybe every 2nd year.

1. [SIZE= medium]What do you like most about your clipless bicycle shoes? Power transfer, comfort, right tool for the job.[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE= medium]What is one feature or function you would like added to clipless bicycling shoes? A power meter.[/SIZE]

D) >$200
    [/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Ease of clipping in _N/A - it's the cleats you use for clipping in, not the shoe_ [/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Ease of replacing cleats _2_[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Safe to walk in _2_[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Comfortable while walking _2_[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Durable (use before replacement) _4_[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Aerodynamic _3_[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Lightweight _3_[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Aesthetics (colors/styles) _3_[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]Comfortable while riding_5_[/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]List others and rank[/SIZE]
Fit. The shoes must fit. And a very stiff carbon fiber sole is critical to efficient energy transfer.

2. [SIZE= medium]What has caused it to be difficult to clip into your pedal with clipless shoes? Rushing the process and not paying attention. New cleats are also more difficult.[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE= medium]Have you ever slipped and fallen or nearly fallen while wearing clipless shoes? Y/N Anyone who says no is either a mountain biker or lying.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE= medium]How often do you replace your cleats due to wear? Maybe once a year. Speedplay cleats last a long time and I use cleat covers to minimize wear when off the bike.[/SIZE]

1a.) Function - link with pedals and power transfer.
1b.) F usually, but some rides do have mid-ride breaks and sometimes walking then (use mtb shoes partly for that reason)
1c.) ANT+ strain gauge in cleat system
1d.) 4. E and D (E to start - D once I found right shoe and had time to watch for sales on additional pairs)

2.)

Ease of clipping in __1
Ease of replacing cleats __1
Safe to walk in __3
Comfortable while walking __3
Durable (use before replacement) __3
Aerodynamic __1
Lightweight __2
Aesthetics (colors/styles) __1
Comfortable while riding__5

Other
  1. Have you ever had difficulty clipping in due to worn cleats? N
  2. What has caused it to be difficult to clip into your pedal with clipless shoes? Nothing
  3. Have you ever slipped and fallen or nearly fallen while wearing clipless shoes? N
  4. How often do you replace your cleats due to wear? 1-2 years (multiple pairs so depends on use)

Note: some of your questions relate more to the pedal/cleat interface and not the shoe. FWIW I use an mtb pedal (Look Quartz Carbon) on all of my bikes (road/cc) because it is light and has a good platform, and because I can use the same shoe(s)/cleats across all bikes. The only exception is my cycleops spin bike which has SPD pedals/cleats because I have to share it with my wife. 2nd pair of same shoes but spd cleats for that. I also have a winter "boot" built upon the same last/sole as my mtb shoe so everything is consistent when switching to cold weather riding.

1. Fit,comfort, and adjustability. 2. F, for the most part. 3. I can't think of a single thing I'd want added to my shoes. 4. D 5. not applicable, 1, 2, 1, 4, 1, 1, 3, 5 6. No, but then the problem with worn cleats is that they tend to come unclipped 7. If it's difficult to clip in, it's usually because I'm ogling a woman or women in a car at a stoplight 8. no 9. depends