Clipless vs. Not

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by BroccoliStalk, Apr 29, 2010.

1. clx1

clx1 New Member

I would reccomend going clipless, once you have mastered them you will never go back. There are only pros and no cons in my view.
    It needn't cost a fortune, I use Look Keo Classics and they can be bought for the equivalent of around $60 including cleats in the UK.
    Here in the UK you only really see clips and straps on older bikes.
    New bikes from the big three American brands come with pedals, clips and straps, these are usually discarded immediately and substituted with clipless pedals. Most European brands come with no pedal so that the owner can supply his favourite clipless pedal.
    Hope this helps.:):)

2. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

I have track pedals on the Trek that are these exactly: Suntour Superbe Pro Track Pedal (NJS) on Flickr - Photo Sharing! I use toe clips and straps with these along with special shoes that have a cleat on the bottom and are very stiff; however I can wear tennis shoes or boots or whatever with these pedals and their not platform pedals. And the Miyata has similar pedals except from Shimano that I can do the same thing with.

Platform pedals look like this instead: Universal Cycles -- Answer Rove FR Platform Pedals These you cannot use my shoes with the cleat on because there's nowhere for the cleat to clip onto. These also use a different type of clip then mine do, or you can use Power Grips toe straps that don't need the clip.

3. Autumn

Autumn New Member

Alright, so I read over the debate and my question is tangential to the original question of to clip or not to clip. Suppose you decided to go with clips ( such as I did ) and you are having ridiculous difficulty getting in and out of them on your trainer. I mean you practice two hours, try shifting the cleats, and the pedals are all the way to the "easy" release setting. I have Shimano A520s which are SPD and WR40s which are SPD-SL. Does anyone have any ideas what the heck I am doing wrong? Thank you so much.

4. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

I'm not sure what could be causing your problem.

Just to clarify, you did use the cleats that came with the pedals, right?

And assuming that you did use those cleats, cause I'm sure you did....it should just be a matter of stepping into the pedal to engage the cleat, and then rotating your heel outwards to disengage the cleat.

When you step into the pedal you have to make sure the front part of the cleat slides under the front "loop" part of the pedal..then it's just a matter of pushing your foot straight down to make the back part of the cleat snap in. You should hear a little pop or snap when it clicks in, as well as feel it.

Then to disengage from the pedal, let's use your right foot for example, you would rotate your heel to the right until you feel the cleat come free of the pedal.

Left foot, you will need to rotate the heel to the left till you feel the cleat come free.

I was looking at a picture of the A520 pedal, and I wish I could photo chop it to demonstrate what I'm talking about...

Nashbar - Welcome!