Clipping Out - Which Foot?

wle

Guest
simple question/poll.

a. if you ride clipless pedals, when you need to stop and
unclip only one foot, which one is it?

b. what side do the cars drive on where you live?

c. why?

i will start:----------------

a. i unclip my right foot.

b. i live in the usa.

c. reason is that then i will not be
potentially sticking my foot into moving traffic..

wle.

wle wrote:
> simple question/poll.
>
> a. if you ride clipless pedals, when you need to stop and
> unclip only one foot, which one is it?
>
> b. what side do the cars drive on where you live?
>
> c. why?
>
> i will start:----------------
>
> a. i unclip my right foot.
>
> b. i live in the usa.
>
> c. reason is that then i will not be
> potentially sticking my foot into moving traffic..
>

> wle.

Interesting question.

I unclip the left foot when stopping. I also live in the USA and cars
drive on the right side of the road. About once a decade or two I will
get chain grease on my ankle or clothes. People who unclip the right
foot seem to get grease on their ankles and clothes once a ride.

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:48:20 -0800, wle wrote:

> simple question/poll.
>
> a. if you ride clipless pedals, when you need to stop and unclip only one
> foot, which one is it? [....]

a. left
b. left (legally)
c. right leg is preferred for the following restart.

a. right
b. left (when they feel like it)
c. if my left knee is playing up, and not dependable for
holding me & bike upright.

a. right
b. left (unless going the wrong side of traffic calming)
c. if the camber of the road surface looks unusually steep

a. both
b. left (not obligatory for 4x4s and people-carriers)
c. that's what I tell beginner 'benters to do when they try
my SWB, laid-back Ross. It took me a lot of practice to handle
one-foot stops.

Mike

wle wrote:

> simple question/poll.
>
> a. if you ride clipless pedals, when you need to stop and
> unclip only one foot, which one is it?

Right

> b. what side do the cars drive on where you live?

Right (USA)

> c. why?

Because I am right-handed and right-footed so my right foot is the one
that is more reliable both for holding me up and for maneuvering into
the pedal again.

Pam

"wle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> simple question/poll.
>
> a. if you ride clipless pedals, when you need to stop and
> unclip only one foot, which one is it?
>
> b. what side do the cars drive on where you live?
>
> c. why?

Left foot where cars drive on right (USA)
because the road is slanted to the right and the left side ground is closer
and cleaner
You can decide if you think closer is safer or just more convienent
Cleaner is safer due to the risk of slipping in debris.
A side benefit is the left side of the bike is cleaner so you less often get
chain grease on your leg

Note that this is regardless of what style pedal you use, clipless or clip
or street shoe.

Bruce

On 11 Dec 2004 13:48:20 -0800, "wle" <[email protected]> wrote:

>simple question/poll.
>
>a. if you ride clipless pedals, when you need to stop and
>unclip only one foot, which one is it?
>
>b. what side do the cars drive on where you live?
>
>c. why?

>wle.

a: Mainly neither, I can trackstand for hours at a time

b: Left

c: If I'm feeling lazy, I'll unclip the left foot and put it on the
kerb, which is nearer to me than the ground on the right side :) Off
road on a camber, I'll usually unclip the uphill foot for the same
reason.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

:
: a. if you ride clipless pedals, when you need to stop and
: unclip only one foot, which one is it?

I never unclip only one foot, but I do unclip them left foot first and then
right foot. The time I only unclipped the left, I fell to the right and bent
my derailleur hanger.

:
: b. what side do the cars drive on where you live?

right
:
: c. why?

It's the law here. They have to drive on the right.

I live in the USA. I unclip my left. Reason, unclipping my left foot has always been easier for me....

A shy person asked:

> a. if you ride clipless pedals, when you need to stop and
> unclip only one foot, which one is it?

Right foot. (DS for those who find that insufficiently obscure.)

I got into this habit back when I used to use toke lips.

I'm right handed and right footed, so my right foot is more skilful at
getting back into the clips (or clipless) while underway.

I'm in a mixed marriage--my wife is a left footer, which caused
occasional confusion when we first started riding tandem.

> b. what side do the cars drive on where you live?

Right.

> c. why?

So they won't crash into the oncoming traffic.

Sheldon "Answers" Brown
| If it can't be expressed in figures, |
| it is not science; it is opinion. |
| --Robert A. Heinlein |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

"wle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> simple question/poll.
>
> a. if you ride clipless pedals, when you need to stop and
> unclip only one foot, which one is it?
>
> b. what side do the cars drive on where you live?
>
> c. why?
>
> i will start:----------------
>
> a. i unclip my right foot.
>
> b. i live in the usa.
>
> c. reason is that then i will not be
> potentially sticking my foot into moving traffic..

I unclip the left and and as a kid rode a scooter by scooting with the
left. My theory says that almost everyone will unclip their best
scooting foot. Anyone care to provide data.

PH

>a. if you ride clipless pedals, when you need to stop and
>unclip only one foot, which one is it?

simple. the one nearest to a curb or other lump which allows me to set my foot
down comfortably while not removing butt from saddle. other than that, no
rule.

a. I hired a coach when I started riding again 18 months ago, he told me to unclip alternate feet, so one time the right, then the left, back to the right...so unclipping either foot at any time becomes intuitive, you don't have to think about it..my natural first foot out and down is my left even though I'm right handed...

b. USA = Right

c. because if we didn't we'd all be running into each other...(Is that question supposed to be a wind up)?

wle wrote:
> simple question/poll.

1 - Right
2 - Right - USA
3 - I like to make the first pedal stroke with my Left (already
clipped-in) foot while fitting my right foot into the pedal.

--

Let the bridges I burn light my way...

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:18:01 -0700, Wasatch5k wrote:

> wle wrote:
>> simple question/poll.

> 1 - Right
> 2 - Right - USA
> 3 - I like to make the first pedal stroke with my Left (already
> clipped-in) foot while fitting my right foot into the pedal.

a. Unclip the left pedal.
b. USA
c. Never get "rookie marks" that way. :) ...No particular reason other
than that's the way I started way back when and it's now second nature and
comfortable.

Add to the poll, I'm also right hand/foot dominant.
--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email

>a. if you ride clipless pedals, when you need to stop and
>unclip only one foot, which one is it?

Generally the left.

>b. what side do the cars drive on where you live?

Generally the right.

>c. why?

I think because it is usually easier
to reach the street on the left side
due to a left-right downward slope.

> a. if you ride clipless pedals

I don't.

> b. what side do the cars drive on where you live?

Both sides, 24/7.

> c. why?

Because they're going in both directions, day and night.

> c. reason is that then i will not be potentially
> sticking my foot into moving traffic..

I routinely stick my entire body into moving traffic.

"wle" <[email protected]> wrote:
> a. if you ride clipless pedals, when you need to stop and unclip only
> one foot, which one is it?

> b. what side do the cars drive on where you live?

> c. why?

I unclip the left foot.

USA. Cars on the right side of the road, left of me most of the time.

I like it. Road is higher on the left and easier to reach. I start with my
right foot on the pedal. I often trackstand with left foot forward.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 Unregistered

On 11 Dec 2004 13:48:20 -0800, "wle" <[email protected]> wrote:

>simple question/poll.
>
>a. if you ride clipless pedals, when you need to stop and
>unclip only one foot, which one is it?

Either or, depending on mood, something to put my foot on, prevailing traffic -
turning lane to my right; whether I feel at the moment I'd been favoring one
foot and now it's time for the other to do some work, does one leg feel like a
stretch.

Why doesn't your question apply to people who use clips? Don't they put a foot
down as well?

>b. what side do the cars drive on where you live?

Usually they drive on their tires and not their sides.

>c. why?

Less rolling resistance.

>a. i unclip my right foot.

I thought you were clipless, now you're unclipping.

>b. i live in the usa.

Good choice.

>c. reason is that then i will not be
>potentially sticking my foot into moving traffic..

But for a bad reason. Though, your foot is at less risk from traffic than in,
say Italy.

Ron

I usually clip out using my right foot, sometimes my left but that's
probably pretty rare. I probably favor my right foot more that I used
to, due to years of cyclo-cross racing.

However, I liked Russell's point about chainring marks and unclipping
with the left foot as a way to prevent this. I'll have to give that a
try especially when commuting.

new concepts i learned:

a. 'footedness' - the idea that there is a dominant, more coordinated
foot.

b. the road slant can matter - i guess here the roads are not as
steeply angled toward the curb.

c. using the left foot to avoid chainring marks.
ok, good work, people.

wle.