Clippless Pedals and Hill Starts

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Timmy, Nov 21, 2004.

  1. Johnny O-R

    Johnny O-R New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2004
    Swear profusely, stand up (if I can), pick out all the grit I can and swear some more - works for me...

  2. tortoise

    tortoise New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2004
    I use double sided SPDs, but maybe it is because I am a bit of a wuss ie unclip before I come to a stop, don't try any fancy stands, and get moving before I clip in my second foot....

    I have also toppled with straps when I just couldn't get out

    Traffic is Melbourne bayside

  3. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Stuart Lamble wrote:

    > On 2004-11-23, qtq <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > What do you do if you're clipped in, going uphill, and you drop the
    > > chain off the inner chainring? (I grabbed onto a parked vehicle, but
    > > it's a scary experience.)

    > Panic? :)
    >
    > I'd probably try to remember to unclip ASAP -- it's about all you _can_
    > do, really. Whether or not I'd actually _succeed_ is another question
    > entirely. (Another graceful fall to the side might be the trick of the
    > day :)

    You learn very, very quickly that this is not one of those situations
    where you "just keep pedalling..."

    Thankfully it happened to me on-base, so (1) the traffic was slow and
    considerate and (2) there was a hospital really close by!

  4. Mick

    Mick Guest

    > Which pedal system? I still screw up my SPD-SL
    > entries, having switched from SPDs.
    >
    > hippy

    Hey hippy,

    Do you mean you used to use MTB pedals on a road
    bike? SPD's are MTB pedals aren't they (just getting
    my terminology right here), and -SL is road?

    If I ever get around to buying a new road bike
    (Santa are you listening?) I was thinking of starting
    off with a second set of SPD's so I can make do with
    one pair of shoes. Or is this just crazy talk?

    Is there a big difference between the road specific
    and MTB clipless pedals?

    I'm not going to be racing or anything, not yet anyway.

    Mick

  5. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Mick" <[email protected]> wrote
    > "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Which pedal system? I still screw up my SPD-SL
    > > entries, having switched from SPDs.

    > Do you mean you used to use MTB pedals on a road
    > bike?

    Yep. MTB pedals and shoes on a road bike.

    > SPD's are MTB pedals aren't they (just getting
    > my terminology right here), and -SL is road?

    Yep. SPD is "generally" designed for mtb's but
    works great for road commuting on anything.
    SPD-SL are based on the LOOK design road
    pedals and is really only used on the road/racing.

    > If I ever get around to buying a new road bike
    > (Santa are you listening?) I was thinking of starting
    > off with a second set of SPD's so I can make do with
    > one pair of shoes. Or is this just crazy talk?

    That's exactly what I did for 4 years.. SPDs (the mtb ones)
    were used by me in commuting, walking, road racing, track
    racing (not really recommended), mtb racing, triathlon.. they
    rock!
    I only went to SPD-SL pedal system because I'm taking
    my road racing a bit more seriously now.

    > Is there a big difference between the road specific
    > and MTB clipless pedals?

    Yes. The cleats are not in any way compatible. SPD
    use a much smaller, metal cleat and SPD-SLs use a
    large plastic cleat and totally different engagement
    system.

    > I'm not going to be racing or anything, not yet anyway.

    SPD for sure.

    hippy

  6. Mick

    Mick Guest

    > SPD for sure.
    >
    > hippy

    Thanks hippy, now that I have the pedals sorted
    I just have to decide on the bike :)

    Mick

  7. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Mick" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Thanks hippy, now that I have the pedals sorted
    > I just have to decide on the bike :)

    No worries. What sort of bike are you looking for?
    (sorry if you've already asked this..)

    hippy

  8. Mick

    Mick Guest

    > "Mick" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> Thanks hippy, now that I have the pedals sorted
    >> I just have to decide on the bike :)

    > No worries. What sort of bike are you looking for?
    > (sorry if you've already asked this..)
    >
    > hippy

    No probs, I haven't asked.

    I'm after an entry level road bike, something that
    I can hang onto for a while and upgrade when/if I
    need to. Something I can train on and maybe do
    some novice racing. I've been told to start with 105.
    I want to keep the price under $2k.

    I currently ride a Rocky Mountain Stratos and I've
    put 1.25 slicks on it. It gets along ok. But I'd like
    to do more fast/long group rides (for me anyway -
    70k/30+ avg.) I'm almost at that stage so I'm
    thinking I need a roadie.

    LBS has a nice 2003 Gitane for $1800
    http://www.gitane.com.au/2003mach1800.html
    I like this one. Also looked at a Trek 1400. The
    2005 model is $1999. Some shops up here
    (Brisvegas) are starting to stock Orbea's under
    $2k. If I knew what I was looking for in a frame
    I'd consider 2nd hand, but I don't know much
    about road bikes.

    If you have any tips/advice/links I'd appreciate
    it.

    Mick

  9. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Mick wrote:
    <SniP>
    > LBS has a nice 2003 Gitane for $1800
    > http://www.gitane.com.au/2003mach1800.html
    > I like this one. Also looked at a Trek 1400. The
    > 2005 model is $1999. Some shops up here
    > (Brisvegas) are starting to stock Orbea's under
    > $2k. If I knew what I was looking for in a frame
    > I'd consider 2nd hand, but I don't know much
    > about road bikes.
    >
    > If you have any tips/advice/links I'd appreciate
    > it.
    >
    > Mick

    Big tip for Mick,

    don't bother trying to go second hand in Vegas. People are massively
    clueless, I tried that way, but they will try to sell a bike for half
    what it was worth 5 years ago, without realising that for the same "new"
    price that they paid, you can now get a lot better components. I got
    offered a nice trek that was about 6 years old, moderate wear on the
    ultegra components, they wanted $1200 or something. Then someone tried
    to sell me a Felt F50, same model as mine, second hand, for more than I
    paid for mine brand new.

  10. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    >>If you have any tips/advice/links I'd appreciate
    >>it.
    >>
    >>Mick

    > Big tip for Mick,

    Where's the Learpsort plug Tam??

    DaveB

  11. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    DaveB wrote:

    > Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > >>If you have any tips/advice/links I'd appreciate
    > >>it.
    > >>
    > >>Mick

    > > Big tip for Mick,
    > >

    > Where's the Learpsort plug Tam??
    >
    > DaveB

    I don't get anything in return...

    ....oh, okay...

    ....when I got my training bike I bought a Learsport 8000
    (www.learsport.com.au) and it only cost me $1320 including delivery for
    105 components, carbon forks. Best price for similar that I had managed
    to talk a bikeshop into was $1600 for an Avanti Giro, similar prices for
    Giant equiv.

    BUT if you don't know much about frame geometry etc., I would recommend
    you go to a cycle shop where you can get a correct fit. I went to
    Triathlete's World at Albion but Max is gone now, although Tony's really
    really good too.

  12. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "tortoise" <[email protected]
    > I use double sided SPDs, but maybe it is because I am a bit of a wuss
    > ie unclip before I come to a stop, don't try any fancy stands, and get
    > moving before I clip in my second foot....

    It's the emergency stops that get ya, not just rolling
    up to lights and forgetting to unclip.. the "I'm gonna
    die!!" reaction takes precedence over the "you
    should unclip now" thought. :)

    hippy

  13. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Mick" <[email protected]
    > I'm after an entry level road bike, something that
    > I can hang onto for a while and upgrade when/if I
    > need to. Something I can train on and maybe do
    > some novice racing. I've been told to start with 105.
    > I want to keep the price under $2k.

    I started racing on a $100 second-hand bike..
    anything's possibly initially :)

    > LBS has a nice 2003 Gitane for $1800
    > http://www.gitane.com.au/2003mach1800.html
    > I like this one. Also looked at a Trek 1400. The
    > 2005 model is $1999. Some shops up here
    > (Brisvegas) are starting to stock Orbea's under
    > $2k. If I knew what I was looking for in a frame
    > I'd consider 2nd hand, but I don't know much
    > about road bikes.

    The Treks do seem to get a lot of press here..
    I don't really pay a lot of attention to new models
    unless they are 'special' in some way - otherwise
    there'd be less room in my house and less cash
    in my accounts! ;-)
    Other folk here will have better suggestions for
    your price range than me.

    > If you have any tips/advice/links I'd appreciate
    > it.

    Scour the groups, test ride as many bikes as you
    can physically ride, ask lots of questions (answering
    gives me something to do while I wait for crap to
    compile ;-) )

    hippy