Close call

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Zis Guy, Feb 6, 2003.

  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Riding home tonight I had a bit of a close call. I was nearly wiped out by a cager - but it wasn't
    (for once) his fault. A Stealth Cyclist came out of a service road (the wrong way, it's a one-way
    road) and cut straight across the road. I let rip with the Air Zound because he was coming straight
    for me - and the car which was halfway past me and behind my line of sight veered away from me. He'd
    seen me well enough to overtake with plenty of room, but of course most drivers can only cope with
    one input at a time, so he'd forgotten about me.

    Luckily they both heard the Air Zound and we did a Red Arrows style three-way split, the Steath
    Cyclist back to the wrong side of the road, me towards the kerb, and the cager up the middle.

    Needless to say the Stealth Cyclist had no lights, no lid, no light clothing, no reflective
    accoutrements and no f***ing clue.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

    Tags:

  2. John B

    John B Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

    > Riding home tonight I had a bit of a close call. I was nearly wiped out by a cager - but it wasn't
    > (for once) his fault. A Stealth Cyclist came out of a service road (the wrong way, it's a one-way
    > road) and cut straight across the road.

    <snip>

    > Needless to say the Stealth Cyclist had no lights, no lid, no light clothing, no reflective
    > accoutrements and no f***ing clue.

    No lid? no LID?

    Must be his fault then.

    I'm ashamed at you Guy for trying to sneak in a h**m*t thread ;-) You've been rumbled.

    John B

  3. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote: ...

    > Luckily they both heard the Air Zound and we did a Red Arrows style three-way split, the Steath
    > Cyclist back to the wrong side of the road, me towards the kerb, and the cager up the middle.

    Hooray for Air Zounds. I've been thinking of getting one - might be useful on the peds wandering
    aimlessly in the segregated cycle lane I sometimes use for part of my journey through central
    London. They tend to swear at me anyway when I politely remind them they're walking in a cycle lane
    so might as well really give them something to think about. Would be useful for pavement lemmings
    as well....

    Rich

  4. Glad you are okay, Guy. One can but hope the Air Zound caused the stealth cyclist to have a large
    brown stain develop in his trousers.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 22:17:38 +0000, John B <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Needless to say the Stealth Cyclist had no lights, no lid, no light clothing, no reflective
    >> accoutrements and no f***ing clue.

    >No lid? no LID? I'm ashamed at you Guy for trying to sneak in a h**m*t thread ;-) You've
    >been rumbled.

    I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier reply:
    <http://www.chapmancentral.com/Web/public.nsf/Documents/mini-faq-helmets>

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote: ...
    > >
    > > Luckily they both heard the Air Zound and we did a Red Arrows style three-way split, the Steath
    > > Cyclist back to the wrong side of the road, me towards the kerb, and the cager up the middle.
    > >

    > Hooray for Air Zounds. I've been thinking of getting one - might be
    useful
    > on the peds wandering aimlessly in the segregated cycle lane I sometimes
    use
    > for part of my journey through central London. They tend to swear at me anyway when I politely
    > remind them they're walking in a cycle lane so
    might
    > as well really give them something to think about. Would be useful for pavement lemmings as
    > well....
    >
    > Rich

    I find bog standard bulb operated horns are more than enough for this purpose. They always get a
    smile when people see them, a reaction when they hear them and you can always tell when the guard on
    the train is bored and messing about with your bike if you sit in the next carriage to the goods
    wagon ;-) Dave. (and his extremely bulbous horn 8-o ...sorry!)

  7. Lardy Ninja

    Lardy Ninja Guest

    > "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hooray for Air Zounds. I've been thinking of getting one - might be
    > useful
    > > on the peds wandering aimlessly in the segregated cycle lane I sometimes
    > use
    > > for part of my journey through central London. They tend to swear at me anyway when I politely
    > > remind them they're walking in a cycle lane so
    > might
    > > as well really give them something to think about. Would be useful for pavement lemmings as
    > > well....
    > >
    > > Rich
    > >
    > I find bog standard bulb operated horns are more than enough for this purpose. They always get a
    > smile when people see them, a reaction when they hear them and you can always tell when the guard
    > on the train is bored and messing about with your bike if you sit in the next carriage to the
    > goods wagon ;-) Dave. (and his extremely bulbous horn 8-o ...sorry!)

    :-D
    I agree, I have an airzounds and never use it for peds cos it's volume makes it very aggressive
    and who needs that. Besides, you never know where they might jump. Usually a cheery 'Morning!' or
    some such greeting is more welcome. If the cycle lanes are really that bad then there is always
    the road :)

    The air horn comes into it's own around morontorists though, even with the distraction of
    CD/phone/kids etc they can hear you coming.

    LN

  8. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    > I let rip with the Air Zound

    mm I must get one of those :) Does it work from a water bottle of air, or was I looking at the wrong
    thing? Problem is twould be yet another piece of kit attatched to the bike. I was thinking a car
    horn wired to my bottle battery for the lights might be quite effective :)

    -Alex

  9. In article <[email protected]>, Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> I let rip with the Air Zound
    >
    >mm I must get one of those :) Does it work from a water bottle of air, or was I looking at the
    >wrong thing?

    It works from a bottle of air - I don't think trying to inflate a water bottle to about 80psi would
    meet much success ;-)

    Richard

    --
    Richard Edgar Robinson College All Opinions My Own etc.

  10. The Mark

    The Mark Guest

    Richard Edgar wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>> I let rip with the Air Zound
    >>
    >> mm I must get one of those :) Does it work from a water bottle
    of
    >> air, or was I looking at the wrong thing?
    >
    > It works from a bottle of air - I don't think trying to inflate
    > water bottle to about 80psi would meet much success ;-)
    >
    > Richard

    That sounds like my sons supersoaker. You fill it with water and pump it up. The jet produced is
    quite impressive. I could use it to get my own back on the drivers who don't have a clue how to
    adjust their windscreen washers and end up washing anyone going up the inside ;-)
    --
    Mark