Clothing advice for a newbie

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by zaRider, Apr 3, 2007.

1. zaRider

zaRider New Member

Hey guys, I'm just getting into road cycling (this will be my first full year). But I'm tired of riding around in my shorts and t-shirt flapping around in the wind and want to get a decent set of shorts, jersey, and perhaps a set of tights and long sleeve shirt for when its colder out. Any suggestions on what to get and where to get it?

Tags:

2. rwinthenorth

rwinthenorth New Member

As a toddler in the road bike set, I've learned some things about cycling gear. Cycling clothes aren't cheap, but it's worth every penny to your comfort. Buy the best shorts you can afford at your LBS. YOU HAVE TO TRY THEM ON. They all fit differently, so try a few. Stay away from the cheap, thick chamois shorts. Find some of the new Pearl Izumi's 3D or Cannondales version. The smaller better quality pads won't chaffe you. Invest in 2 jerseys. One to wear, one to wear when the other is drying. I like to find last years discounted better quality models for the best price. Also, if your riding on the road with motorized vehicles, buy one of your jerseys in bright green or yellow. Being seen is paramount for living. I suggest buying locally for everything. You can try it on to make sure it fits and buy the time you buy it online with S&H, it's about the same price. At least where I live. Also, I always find great deals on my LBS discount racks. I'm not a slave to fashion, only to practicality. My 2Cents.....

3. BornInZion

BornInZion New Member

In the womens section of your local Wal-Mart you can pick up a pair of womens "work out tights" that will be just as functional as cycling tights for about $12. (To be worn over your cycling shorts on cold days- generally 65 to 45 Fahrenheit)

4. mattjf

mattjf New Member

I've got to agree with rwinthenorth. Clothing is one area you don't want to buy the cheapest available. A good fitting, quality pair can make the difference between a comfortable ride and coming home with sores (called saddle sores).

I like bib shorts (shorts that also go over your shoulders, I don't know how to describe it). They stay up better than shorts, and they help suck in my gut. They are more expensive though. I rode for a year before bibs, so it's not like it really matters. Some people hate bibs. It's a personal thing.

-Matt

5. Bikelyst

Bikelyst New Member

Go to your LBS, see what fits you there. Then go to a discount online store like http://www.nashbar.com/ and pick out what fits you for way cheaper.

Although I did get a pair of shorts at a Trek store once for 15 bucks and am satisfied w/ them. It might be my personal 'geometry' but I don't seem to chaffe at all. Knock on wood. :D

6. John M

John M New Member

I like rwinthenorths advice--especially for shorts. Buying jerseys online is OK, but shorts need to fit right and you need to see/feel the chamois. Too thick of a pad is not good in my opinion as it impairs the fit.

7. zaRider

zaRider New Member

Thanks guys, there's a lot of great advice here, sounds like I really need to get down to the store and check some of this stuff out. I also like the idea of having 2 jerseys.

8. nomadrandy

nomadrandy New Member

I have two jerseys - my college team jersey and a training jersey. Some guys have a ton. Seems a bit unnecessary.

9. Kelderek

Kelderek New Member

Also look at a base layer shirt to go under your jersey (called "underwear" for the rest of us :)). It's not just for cool weather, a good one will keep you cooler on warm days as well since allows the sweat to dry off quicker. I use one from Campagnolo, it has this nice dual effect, warmer when it's cold and cooler when it's warm.

You'll be amazed of all the technology that goes into biking wear and how technical it can get when they describe it... If half of what they promise is actually true, it would be great :p. I have found that the effect described above actually works, anyway.

10. rwinthenorth

rwinthenorth New Member

Base wear is great. I use a $15.00 moisture wicking T from Reebok. This shirt drys before you even cool down and provides a warm air pocket around the body that doesn't get wet. I don't know where you live, but if you have a Kohl's dept. storen ear by, that's the cheapest way to go.

11. Rockslayer

Rockslayer New Member

Try different brands as the cut can vary between brands and styles which will affect the way they fit you correctly. Try the shorts in a riding position. Price is not always and indication but often the tech behind the material in more expensive models is better and keep you dryer. As someone mention base layers are good esp if you sweat alot plus maybe consider a 3/4 to full zip in your jersey/s to regulate temperature.
    Try to get at least two sets for alternate days so you can wash and dry between use especially with shorts bacteria can live in the chamois and cause infection etc... Like everything else look after your gear and it will look after you.

12. velowiz

velowiz New Member

Hi zaRider,

In addition to all the suggestion from other member, just a simple hint, I suggest you to get bibs instead of short for confort reason, you will appreciate not always being obligated set them in place again and again.

I don't know in wich part of the world you are but for starting instead of buying long sleeves jersey and tights you can wear arm warmers and leg warmers with your short sleeves.

If you want I have a couple of great jersey short and bib to sell (brand new with tags at very low price, I'm seling for fun with very low profit margin, because I'm a fanatic of cycling and cycling clothing). Just tell me if you are interested.

Thanks, velowiz.