Clothing/Precautions for Cycling in the Rain

ILLUMINAIRE

Sep 3, 2004
Ok, I'm about to face my first wet weather ride tomorrow morning. I've already decided that I'm going anyway...rain or shine. However, it got me to thinking about things I just don't know. I'd love some advice!

1) What is the best clothing to wear when riding in wet weather? About the only thing I've seen specific so far are the AmFib tights from Peal Izumi. Is there a certain jersey or jacket that is good for wet weather? I want something that I'm not going to burn up in so I'd imagine a regular rain jacket just isn't going to cut it! ;)

2) I don't want to screw my bike up! :D If there anything special I should do to prepare the bike pre-ride or special things I should do post-ride to protect it? Obviously I'm going to clean the chain, etc. but should I take other things into consideration?

ILLUMINAIRE said:
Ok, I'm about to face my first wet weather ride tomorrow morning. I've already decided that I'm going anyway...rain or shine. However, it got me to thinking about things I just don't know. I'd love some advice!

1) What is the best clothing to wear when riding in wet weather? About the only thing I've seen specific so far are the AmFib tights from Peal Izumi. Is there a certain jersey or jacket that is good for wet weather? I want something that I'm not going to burn up in so I'd imagine a regular rain jacket just isn't going to cut it! ;)

2) I don't want to screw my bike up! :D If there anything special I should do to prepare the bike pre-ride or special things I should do post-ride to protect it? Obviously I'm going to clean the chain, etc. but should I take other things into consideration?
In sunny Arizona we don't have to worry about the rain to much, however, been there, done that & have the T-Shirt. Gloves - make sure you wear them if you normally don't. WD40 on the chain works pretty good in wet weather (before). Any weather proof cycling jacket for the most part will work well for you as long as it is breathable, fits well, hopefully is a neon color, and has a water proof pocket for your food, ID's, etc... Some come with zippers under the arms to help prevent overheating. After the ride, make sure you clean your bike up really good. Wipe it down, remove the buildup of grit, & lube it. Hopefully someone who rides in the rain more can fill in any missing pieces. Hope this helps

One thing that needs to be considered is the temperature as well. If it is warm, usually, the wetness is not a problem. It actually will keep you cool. however if it is cooler, then your clothing selection becomes important.

For mild weather I find that an inexpensive rain jacket ($20) is sufficient. The one I have is a clear non-breathable, non-woven material. It feels like aomething between palstic and rubber. basically, it keeps me dry, yet also keeps out the chilling breeze.

If the rain is not too heavy, a nylon shell jacket will shed the rain, and wind, but not keep you from getting drenched.

I have yet to purchase one, but I believe the next level is to buy something like a gortex jacket. I've worn these for other activities, but need to get one better cut for cycling. these keep you dry and keep out the wind while allowing the air to breath form within the jacket. Then, basically, you apply the right layers below for the right temperature.

I've see some people like to use the shells that are also sold for helets. never tried them myself, nor have i minded the wet head. It may be more necessary in colder weather.

I don't mind getting my legs wet in the rain, but in colder weather, I find that neoprene pants help keep the warmth in control.

As far as your bike care, I agree with the previous recommendation of clean and lube all moving parts after drying and do this immediately after the ride.

ILLUMINAIRE said:

This may not be your situation but I ride to work in the rain a lot . I usually just pack my work pants and a towel for my hair in my waterproof backpack ( no fenders yet lol) and give my bike a wipedown when i get home at the end of the day- of course this one's my inexpensive townie and I'm not really going for speed > My "biking" jacket is waterproof ( and reflective) on one side and sweatshirt fleece on the inside. The only weather I've refused to ride in so far is lightning - not too keen on bieng on a metal object with that going on! :p