clothing question.

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Cheryl, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl New Member

I need to find suitable cycling clothing - I am not comfortable in Lycra knicks nor in shorts. I like 3/4 pants or pedal pushers. I don't really want to wear lycra gear underneath - is there any other alternatives? Just went on my first 16 km ride in over 13 years and my butt is complaining big time. Also need something for my 10 year old son who probably won't be into lycra either.

Does anyone make their own? If so what do you use for padding? I did have gel knicks (back in the days when I was ok with them) and remember they made for a more comfy ride. Can you buy gel inserts?

Tags:

2. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

you can buy longish, loose-fitting, 'normal' shorts that have padding in the crotch

3. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

The "chamios" can be bought seperately and sewen into any shorts. I bought some cheap lycra bike shorts from Aldi and unpicked the chamios, sold them on the forum and use the shorts for running. (i'm over 55) I wear my speedos under the shorts.

Gel pads, try a haberdashery shop for bra inserts.

4. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

5. Bikesoiler

Bikesoiler New Member

Lycra knicks may not be the "look" that you feel comfortable with but are designed to be the most comfortable to ride in.

You can get cotton knicks with a reasonable insert (padding) that are designed as "under knicks", I think Netti still make them. Wear these under your clothing of choice, you should find them more comfortable.

Also if you've not been riding much, it will take time to get comfortable on the bike. Maybe get your position checked. Build up slowly & stick at it. :)

6. Cheryl

Cheryl New Member

Thanks for your replies, so far I've made the rides much more comfy by the addition of gel seat covers - extra gel in mine :eek:

We did look at those but the price was way out of our league at the moment, but they did give an idea of how to make our own.

Way back BK (before kids) and 30 kilos ago I wore them, right now it's not only the way I feel in them but it's much more of worry about the public's health and well being. I definitely don't want to scare anyone off the road by the sight of my butt incased in lycra. :eek: You know those nightmares some people have about being in public naked? I have had them about being in public in bikeshorts!! I'm not lying!

7. Robbo_

Robbo_ New Member

Why not just wear a pair of shorts over the knicks?:)

8. ohgodnooo!

ohgodnooo! New Member

I often ride in street or athletic clothes, my gear is less and less cycling specific these days. But you still have to protect your butt from abrasion. Often I wear pants over spandex shorts. But with shorts that have a chamois I still get abrasions though so I started wearing flyless cotton boxer briefs with a small percentage of spandex in them so they fit snug. It doesn't matter what you wear as long as it reduces seat rash. As far as the seat being hard you'll just have to toughen up, or stand more.