Clothing question

liketobike

Oct 2, 2006
Hi all, I'm looking at purchasing a pair of bike shorts. Are bib shorts more effective than regular shorts, and what are the benefits other than cost. I'm just an average rider but ride casual distance but no races.

I ride with bibs and find they feel more secure, knowing they'll never creep down under my floppy skin zone...

Others here claim they chaff nipples, but not me, I had mine bitten off by an overenthusiastic gay priest... but seriously, no, they've never bothered me...

Others also state if you take the 'Natural Break' from the top side as opposed to the bottom side, it is impossible with bibs...

My 2 cents worth, I love bibs, and will never ever get shorts...

Bibs will be more comfortable and more expensive. If money is an issue then buy a better quality short and forego the bib. If you are looking for a good quality bib short and dont want to go the $275.00 Assos route then try http://www.velowear.com/. They have good quality bib shorts at reasonable prices. Overall they have good stuff.

What everyone said.. and
Yesterday I wore my bib shorts MTBiking for the first time. It was suggested to me to try bibs as It holds the shorts in place better especially getting up and down in the seat. Not so much a problem on the road. I am happy to keep wearing shorts during hotter weather and shorter rides.
I must say bibs are more comfy especially on a 4 hour plus ride.Nice to feel free around the waist.

Things I was told to look out for in,
-Make sure the straps are the right length. too short you will be giving yourself a wedgie, too loose and they will sag and bunch.
-Not all brands are the same so you need to find one that suits you as the cut/material quality varies so does price. It does make a difference!!
-The shorts/bibs cannot be too loose as they need to fit and minimise movement and bunching in especially in the chamois. Otherwise chaffing.
-For the bib- mesh is cooler than a lycra bib.

As for stationery nature breaks, PI bibs are fine. Assos ones I tried yesterday no issues they are cut a bit lower in the front than most and you have to kinda lean over.

Thanks for this. A few good laughs.

I wear wicking shorts from discount houses at around $9 the pair with soccer shorts over them. Have a pair of rowing shorts on order because they supposedly have more elastic in the legs - keeps the six legged nasties away and stops the odd balloon leg drag thing.

Did an event ride last weekend. 4 bents and 1400 uprights. Had no trouble giving away the butt butter in the gimme bag...

I would definetly go for bib shorts...though a little more costly they are worth it. They don't do that rolling thing that regualar shorts do. I would go bib all the way!