Clothing Recommendations for Cool Weather

Yojimbo_

Apr 17, 2005
Hi

I'm interested in learning how you dress for cool (not cold) weather. By cool, I mean about 7 C (45 F) = in the morning, then rising a little during the day. It could also be quite windy.....like in the early spring or late fall (at least, if you live where I do in Toronto Canada).

I'm especially interested in jackets, and high tight they should be. I have a crappy jacket right now that's very baggy, and it's like riding with an open parachute behind me.

Thanks in advance.

Yojimbo_ said:
Hi

I'm interested in learning how you dress for cool (not cold) weather. By cool, I mean about 7 C (45 F) = in the morning, then rising a little during the day. It could also be quite windy.....like in the early spring or late fall (at least, if you live where I do in Toronto Canada).

I'm especially interested in jackets, and high tight they should be. I have a crappy jacket right now that's very baggy, and it's like riding with an open parachute behind me.

Thanks in advance.
Personally I prefer a combination of layers. I start with a nice base layer, then a 3/4 zip front T-shirt and topped off by a 3/4 zip jersey. Can be topped off with a lightweight wind/waterproof if needs be. Can lower/raise zip fronts to provide ventilation and regulate temperature. Not Sure how this will affect aerodynamics for road/speed work, but it works great for singletrack and leisure riding.

As the weather gets warmer later in the year I drop the base layer, and eventually the top layer too.

With regards to the jacket, it shouldn't be too tight as to restrict movement but not too loose at the base to flap around (drawstring/elastic bottom) and if its warm/dry enough to have it undone, probably best to remove it and stuff it in a bag/rear pocket so it should be packabale (smaller the better)

Others will probably have better ways, but mine fits my riding and budget.

Yojimbo_ said:
Hi

Thanks in advance.
]
My husband and I got some really great soft shell jackets at REI this fall. They are REI's own design, and I think that the designers must actually use the clothing because they are very well designed, good zippers and pocket placement, nice little touches like a flap that protects your chin from the zipper. Unfortunately the don't carry their full line of cycling gear all year long so this is the closest I could find. Its the same fabric, but not tailored for cycling. The cycling version should come back again in the fall.
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47853602&parent_category_rn=4501460&vcat=REI_SEARCH

We find we really like the soft shell. It fits nice and close and doesn't flap at all, moves much more like a jersey. Its wind proof and pretty water resisitant, only the cuffs and reflecty strips soak through (this from experience in a real downpour), but still really breathable. The only caveat is that it is a bit bulky so if you want to take it off later it is a bit hard to carry.

I also say layers are the way to go, especially in your case, where you say the temps will rise during your ride. However, I do the layers a bit different. I just go with one regular jersey, possibly a base layer of Under Armor if it's really cold, arm warmers (over the sleeves is more effective), and either a lightweight windproof gillet or a Windtex gillet depending on just how cold it is and how warm I expect it to get. I've found that dispite the cold, the heat I generate as I start working is enough to keep me comfortable. The real enemy is wind, so the gillet does the trick perfectly. As the temp rises, I can stuff the arm warmers and lightweight gillet in my jersey pockets. I say that the most important piece of kit -- which is often overlooked -- is knee warmers. We don't have particularly great blood flow to the knees, so it's important to insulate them. I have them on in anything below 65 F.

Get some nice socks to keep your toes warm!

Breathable is critical - I like Bridgedale socks, they are brilliant and last for ever

Cheers

I wear lettermen jacket. I would prefer something to be very tight fitting, the jacket i have now is a Joe rocket jacket i got used for like 60 bucks with my bike. It was a great deal.

For me, 45 degrees means this:

Jersey (same one I wear in the summer), then underarmor long sleeves. (Not the winter strength one, just the thinner-type one. But, only if the day is going to warm up). Winter gloves, def. leggings. Depending on how I feel, maybe a head warmer that fits snuggly under my helmet. I wear the same socks I wear in the summer. Sometimes I wear booties, sometimes I don't. It depends on wind and what not. But, usually, I wear the booties. I occasionally wear a wind vest.

Pretty much, I don't like anything flapping in the wind. So, for jackets, def. want them to be tight, not only does body heat remain, there is no flapping and clunkiness.

45-55 degrees
underarmour base
kodiak jersey

shorts w chamois
amphib tights over the shorts

wool socks
PI thin gloves

32-44 degrees
all the above plus:
barrier jacket
ski gloves
neoprene rear zip booties

<32 degrees
all of the above plus
a second pair of socks,
ski mask
microfleece tights under amphib tights
heavy fleece between jersey and jacket
snowboard helmet (w built in earmuffs) instead of bike helmet

Since it doesn't get that cold in Melbourne, eg 2 degrees C would be as low as it gets, if there is a wind, ambient temp is almost always higher, but then wind chill gets you.

as of a week ago, i only had summer weight gear. Lightweight spray jacket in yellow (squishes to the size of a tennis ball) knicks, and short sleeve tops.

However I decided to buy some 'winter' gear before the big rushes. My legs I figure for now will last through spring without any set of 'longs'. However I want to avoid getting a chest cold as well. So in these cooler mornings as summer is dissappearing, i got some Netti "sleeves" which work well with the summer weight tops. Eliminates the chill from the exposed arms. I figure these would be fine down to 9degrees by themselves (I don't feel the cold that much).

For anything much colder, or if there is a breeze out, I bought a LineBreak Long Sleeved T-Shirt to wear under a summer jersey. These are a tight fitting "compression" top. The arms are a slightly heavier spec lycra or whatever, than the chest so I figure it would be good for poor weather cycling - and still breathes well.

If it is raining, i'm going to stick with my lightweight spray jacket, as all I care about keeping dry and warm is my chest and back. If this jacket doesn't turn out to work that great in winter I will evaluate something else...

7 degrees or below for me is- Beanie, arm warmers, short sleeved jersey, lightweight winter jacket and maybe a singlet underneath. Just take off arm warmers, jacket & beanie as it heats up. On the legs I have normal knicks, leg warmers, socks & maybe shoe covers to keep the toes warm.Very easy to take this gear off on the move.

Im thinking of buying a balaclava :rolleyes: :D

Yojimbo_ said:
Hi

Thanks in advance.
Here's the way I was dressed today. It was around 0 F all day though.

Yojimbo_ said:
By cool, I mean about 7 C (45 F) = in the morning
LOL i would die if i went riding in that weather, by cool, i mean 15 C and thats really really cold! 15 C would be arm wamers, and leg warmers for sure

TrekDedicated said:
For me, 45 degrees means this:

Jersey (same one I wear in the summer), then underarmor long sleeves. (Not the winter strength one, just the thinner-type one. But, only if the day is going to warm up). Winter gloves, def. leggings. Depending on how I feel, maybe a head warmer that fits snuggly under my helmet. I wear the same socks I wear in the summer. Sometimes I wear booties, sometimes I don't. It depends on wind and what not. But, usually, I wear the booties. I occasionally wear a wind vest.

Pretty much, I don't like anything flapping in the wind. So, for jackets, def. want them to be tight, not only does body heat remain, there is no flapping and clunkiness.
Yep, this is my routine down to 25 degrees F. I have a pair of polypro tights with no pad that I wear under my kit bibs. I also will wear 1-2 layers of Under Armour under my jersey, usually thick winter layer inside, thin layer outside.

Winter gloves are standard, and I always wear my booties if its less than say, 45. If there is one thing I cant stand, its cold feet.