Club Racer

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob Green

I've come back to cycling after a few years off the bike. I bought a Cannondale road bike from a
colleague who emigrated and I've been enjoying getting fit again. The Cannondale's a nice bike, but
it's not ideal for all the riding I want to do, so I've been looking around for something new. The
closest I've found is the Club Racer from Independent Fabrication:
http://64.227.152.248/frames2/steelclubracer.shtml Something that won't get me laughed at by the
chaingang, but that I can put mudguards on and tour with, or maybe ride the occasional Audax.

Fifteen years ago there were a lot of bikes like this on the market: sportier than an Audax
bike, but with room for fatter tyres. I don't see many similar bikes in the current ranges on
offer. The Club Racer would be perfect, but it's really a bit too much money, and I'd prefer
British if possible.

My criteria are:

Light, oversized steel frame, preferably welded. Clearance for 28mm tyres and mudguards. Calliper
brakes. Eyelets for a rear rack and mudguards, and possibly a front lowrider rack. Threadless fork.

I also like the straight 'power fork' of the Club Racer, but only as a visual choice.

Can anyone suggest a British frame or bike that would fit the bill? Should I think about going
custom? If so, who should I go to?

- RG

"Rob Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I've come back to cycling after a few years off the bike. I bought a Cannondale road bike from a
> colleague who emigrated and I've been enjoying getting fit again. The Cannondale's a nice bike,
> but it's not ideal for all the riding I want to do, so I've been looking around for something new.
> The closest I've found is the Club Racer from Independent Fabrication:
> http://64.227.152.248/frames2/steelclubracer.shtml Something that won't get me laughed at by the
> chaingang, but that I can put mudguards on and tour with, or maybe ride the occasional Audax.
>
> Fifteen years ago there were a lot of bikes like this on the market: sportier than an Audax bike,
> but with room for fatter tyres. I don't see many similar bikes in the current ranges on offer. The
> Club Racer would be perfect, but it's really a bit too much money, and I'd prefer British if
> possible.
>
> My criteria are:
>
> Light, oversized steel frame, preferably welded. Clearance for 28mm tyres and mudguards.
> Calliper brakes. Eyelets for a rear rack and mudguards, and possibly a front lowrider rack.
> Threadless fork.
>
> I also like the straight 'power fork' of the Club Racer, but only as a visual choice.
>
> Can anyone suggest a British frame or bike that would fit the bill? Should I think about going
> custom? If so, who should I go to?
>
> - RG

Ooooo, nice bike. C+ recently reviewed the Kaffenback from On-one favourably, you might want to look
at that. And the own name offerings from Ricci and Dave Hinde also get good reviews. HTH SteveP

Originally posted by Rob Green
I've come back to cycling after a few years off the bike. I bought a Cannondale road bike from a
colleague who emigrated and I've been enjoying getting fit again. The Cannondale's a nice bike, but
it's not ideal for all the riding I want to do, so I've been looking around for something new. The
closest I've found is the Club Racer from Independent Fabrication:
http://64.227.152.248/frames2/steelclubracer.shtml Something that won't get me laughed at by the
chaingang, but that I can put mudguards on and tour with, or maybe ride the occasional Audax.

Fifteen years ago there were a lot of bikes like this on the market: sportier than an Audax
bike, but with room for fatter tyres. I don't see many similar bikes in the current ranges on
offer. The Club Racer would be perfect, but it's really a bit too much money, and I'd prefer
British if possible.

My criteria are:

Light, oversized steel frame, preferably welded. Clearance for 28mm tyres and mudguards. Calliper
brakes. Eyelets for a rear rack and mudguards, and possibly a front lowrider rack. Threadless fork.

I also like the straight 'power fork' of the Club Racer, but only as a visual choice.

Can anyone suggest a British frame or bike that would fit the bill? Should I think about going
custom? If so, who should I go to? its like lance armsrong once replied to a question rather simalar it is not the bike its the rider. any decent road bike would do . i am fit and 41 and can average 22 mph over 25 miles on at least 3 miles on 1/10 and do it on a scott a f d expert wich i paid £400 last years model the previuos years it was done on dawes scorpio

- RG

>[email protected] (stephen pridgeon)

>Ooooo, nice bike. C+ recently reviewed the Kaffenback from On-one favourably, you might want
>to look at that. And the own name offerings from Ricci and Dave Hinde also get good reviews.
>HTH SteveP
>

I can definitely understand wanting to buy local/Brit, but the IF is one hell of a bike. It's a
fairly local company for me. Our club has a lot of their bikes due to their quality and customer
service. They are pricey, but the steel ones are incredibly solid. Just my $0.02 Bill C

Status
Not open for further replies.