Club Racer

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Rob Green, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. Rob Green

    Rob Green Guest

    I've come back to cycling after a few years off the bike. I bought a Cannondale road bike from a
    colleague who emigrated and I've been enjoying getting fit again. The Cannondale's a nice bike, but
    it's not ideal for all the riding I want to do, so I've been looking around for something new. The
    closest I've found is the Club Racer from Independent Fabrication:
    http://64.227.152.248/frames2/steelclubracer.shtml Something that won't get me laughed at by the
    chaingang, but that I can put mudguards on and tour with, or maybe ride the occasional Audax.

    Fifteen years ago there were a lot of bikes like this on the market: sportier than an Audax
    bike, but with room for fatter tyres. I don't see many similar bikes in the current ranges on
    offer. The Club Racer would be perfect, but it's really a bit too much money, and I'd prefer
    British if possible.

    My criteria are:

    Light, oversized steel frame, preferably welded. Clearance for 28mm tyres and mudguards. Calliper
    brakes. Eyelets for a rear rack and mudguards, and possibly a front lowrider rack. Threadless fork.

    I also like the straight 'power fork' of the Club Racer, but only as a visual choice.

    Can anyone suggest a British frame or bike that would fit the bill? Should I think about going
    custom? If so, who should I go to?

    - RG

    Tags:

  2. "Rob Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've come back to cycling after a few years off the bike. I bought a Cannondale road bike from a
    > colleague who emigrated and I've been enjoying getting fit again. The Cannondale's a nice bike,
    > but it's not ideal for all the riding I want to do, so I've been looking around for something new.
    > The closest I've found is the Club Racer from Independent Fabrication:
    > http://64.227.152.248/frames2/steelclubracer.shtml Something that won't get me laughed at by the
    > chaingang, but that I can put mudguards on and tour with, or maybe ride the occasional Audax.
    >
    > Fifteen years ago there were a lot of bikes like this on the market: sportier than an Audax bike,
    > but with room for fatter tyres. I don't see many similar bikes in the current ranges on offer. The
    > Club Racer would be perfect, but it's really a bit too much money, and I'd prefer British if
    > possible.
    >
    > My criteria are:
    >
    > Light, oversized steel frame, preferably welded. Clearance for 28mm tyres and mudguards.
    > Calliper brakes. Eyelets for a rear rack and mudguards, and possibly a front lowrider rack.
    > Threadless fork.
    >
    > I also like the straight 'power fork' of the Club Racer, but only as a visual choice.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a British frame or bike that would fit the bill? Should I think about going
    > custom? If so, who should I go to?
    >
    > - RG

    Ooooo, nice bike. C+ recently reviewed the Kaffenback from On-one favourably, you might want to look
    at that. And the own name offerings from Ricci and Dave Hinde also get good reviews. HTH SteveP

  3. den911

    den911 New Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2003

  4. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    >[email protected] (stephen pridgeon)

    >Ooooo, nice bike. C+ recently reviewed the Kaffenback from On-one favourably, you might want
    >to look at that. And the own name offerings from Ricci and Dave Hinde also get good reviews.
    >HTH SteveP

    I can definitely understand wanting to buy local/Brit, but the IF is one hell of a bike. It's a
    fairly local company for me. Our club has a lot of their bikes due to their quality and customer
    service. They are pricey, but the steel ones are incredibly solid. Just my $0.02 Bill C