Club Ride & I was hit - Frame Broke..who pays?

Crazymike said:
tonyzachary,
I have reviewed my bike club's waiver which is located on the application form. It states in great detail how each cyclist assumes risk.
I have seen in bike clubs that even if a person is not ready to join a club a waiver form is given to the cyclist to sign.
In reality, there is no way for a club to guarantee how each cyclist rides. There is no way a club can guarantee the road conditions, the traffic or animals crossing or charging the peloton. Group rides are social and talking to each other during the ride will happen.
I think if any of you intend on participating in bicycle tours you might also find you will have to sign waivers. If you can not afford to fix your bicycle in a crash that might occur or if you can not afford the medical costs associated with a crash on a tour.... Ride alone. Sorry for being nasty, I did not realize the lack of knowledge of the membership on this website with regards to participating in bicycle tours, club rides or bicycle races.

You are an ASS!

Crazymike said:
tonyzachary,
I have reviewed my bike club's waiver which is located on the application form. It states in great detail how each cyclist assumes risk.
I have seen in bike clubs that even if a person is not ready to join a club a waiver form is given to the cyclist to sign.
In reality, there is no way for a club to guarantee how each cyclist rides. There is no way a club can guarantee the road conditions, the traffic or animals crossing or charging the peloton. Group rides are social and talking to each other during the ride will happen.
I think if any of you intend on participating in bicycle tours you might also find you will have to sign waivers. If you can not afford to fix your bicycle in a crash that might occur or if you can not afford the medical costs associated with a crash on a tour.... Ride alone. Sorry for being nasty, I did not realize the lack of knowledge of the membership on this website with regards to participating in bicycle tours, club rides or bicycle races.

When you see fit to come down off your highfalutin pedestal and come into the real world, you'll find there are numerous informal clubs and group rides that DO NOT involve signing a waiver form before participating in the festivities.

Get a grip, crazy person. If you can't afford to pay for damage you caused, go get a real job - potential deadbeat...

Crazymike said:
I have reviewed my bike club's waiver which is located on the application form. It states in great detail how each cyclist assumes risk. I have seen in bike clubs that even if a person is not ready to join a club a waiver form is given to the cyclist to sign.

Both statements are true. The waivers are primarily required to protect the club and its officers/sponsors. Other participants are secondary. It is also true that the waivers contain wording that obligates participants to ride in a safe, courteous and responsible manner.

Crazymike said:
Sorry for being nasty, I did not realize the lack of knowledge of the membership on this website with regards to participating in bicycle tours, club rides or bicycle races.

As long as people chose not to do the "honorable thing" by taking responsibility for their actions, the doors swing open to legal challenge. On a financial basis it would be silly to pursue $1,000 worth of loss in a legal challenge - a few hours of work and full recovery barely pays the legal bill. However, sometimes it's about "being right" and financial logic goes out the window.

Legal counsel for the defendant would argue the existence of the waiver. Legal counsel for the plaintiff would argue the defendant's agreement to ride safe and courteously, which he allegedly failed to do. **** - legal battle created.

For those of us who do participate in club and group rides in a responsible manner we "know" that there is a camaraderie of cyclists that shares responsibility for one another and goes beyond the legal document we sign. Pretty sure for most of us that would not entail walking away from a disastrous encounter with a "very sorry - life sucks approach".

sd790 said:
Sorry if the idea of being financially responsible offends you. That's not a "rich" way to look at anything, it's smart. Doesn't it make sense to only buy what you can afford? Geesh, where has common sense gone?
man, if i could afford one madone, i would buy it. doesnt mean i can afford two. youre kind of a jerk