Club rides that were rejected

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Mike Kruger, Jan 28, 2005.

  1. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    I'm a club newsletter editor. Next issue we publish the new
    ride schedule. I'd like to do a humorous sidebar on ride ideas
    that were rejected. Here's what I have so far. Any other
    ideas?

    Dogma Ride Pace: very fast Leader: Butch
    Butch has connected all the spots with dogs who love to chase
    and snap at your legs, and come up with this route which is
    great for interval training. Don't be the slowest cyclist on
    this ride!

    Hospital Ride Pace: slow Leader: Nurse Ratchett
    This ride visits various sites where club members have had
    accidents in the past few years. In some cases, the skid marks
    are still there on the road!

    Brickyard Tour Pace: fast Leader: Red
    This route winds through the brick sidestreets of Wilmette,
    allowing you to pretend you are riding in one of those spring
    European classics as you bump along. This ride goes rain or
    shine. Lunch at the Klay Oven restaurant.

    So, what are other bad ideas for a club ride?

    P.S. One of the rides above is actually from our club schedule
    from a couple of years ago. Can you guess which?

    Tags:

  2. "Mike Kruger" wrote:

    > I'm a club newsletter editor. Next issue we publish the new
    > ride schedule. I'd like to do a humorous sidebar on ride ideas
    > that were rejected.

    > Dogma Ride Pace: very fast Leader: Butch
    > Butch has connected all the spots with dogs who love to chase
    > and snap at your legs, and come up with this route which is
    > great for interval training. Don't be the slowest cyclist on
    > this ride!
    >
    > Hospital Ride Pace: slow Leader: Nurse Ratchett
    > This ride visits various sites where club members have had
    > accidents in the past few years. In some cases, the skid marks
    > are still there on the road!
    >
    > Brickyard Tour Pace: fast Leader: Red
    > This route winds through the brick sidestreets of Wilmette,
    > allowing you to pretend you are riding in one of those spring
    > European classics as you bump along. This ride goes rain or
    > shine. Lunch at the Klay Oven restaurant.

    Sounds like some rides I've been on. I'm guessing the Brickyard Tour was a
    real ride.

    Art Harris

  3. Mike Kruger wrote:

    > I'm a club newsletter editor. Next issue we publish the new
    > ride schedule. I'd like to do a humorous sidebar on ride ideas
    > that were rejected. Here's what I have so far. Any other
    > ideas?
    >

    > Dogma Ride Pace: very fast Leader: Butch
    > Butch has connected all the spots with dogs who love to chase
    > and snap at your legs, and come up with this route which is
    > great for interval training. Don't be the slowest cyclist on
    > this ride!
    >
    > Hospital Ride Pace: slow Leader: Nurse Ratchett
    > This ride visits various sites where club members have had
    > accidents in the past few years. In some cases, the skid marks
    > are still there on the road!
    >
    > Brickyard Tour Pace: fast Leader: Red
    > This route winds through the brick sidestreets of Wilmette,
    > allowing you to pretend you are riding in one of those spring
    > European classics as you bump along. This ride goes rain or
    > shine. Lunch at the Klay Oven restaurant.
    >
    > So, what are other bad ideas for a club ride?
    >
    > P.S. One of the rides above is actually from our club schedule
    > from a couple of years ago. Can you guess which?

    How about:

    Tour de Major Arterial: A selection of very busy roads frequented by
    trucks, buses, emergency vehicles, and commuters in a hurry. Route will
    include numerous railroad crossings, traffic lights. No regrouping, dark
    clothing only. Fenders not required in case of rain. Ride leaves 4:30PM
    or whenever, lights not required after dark. Use of the f-word to talk
    to passing motorists will be required and prizes awarded for originality.

    Stockyard Ramble, Hog Farm Hejira, or Pulp Mills Perambulation: Enjoy
    not only the sights and sounds, but the smells of cycling scenic and
    odiferous roads. We'll be stopping for a lunch of red beans and rice,
    chili dogs, and garlic paste because by then who cares what everyone in
    front of you is doing. Frequent regroups and stops at the sleaziest
    bathrooms we can find. Clean shorts optional.

    Lung Tasting Tour: Drop it into the big ring and hammer hammer hammer
    out of the parking lot. Bring your scabs and your attitude. Special sag
    vehicles will run stragglers off the road. Inclement weather will move
    ride to local sports bar, where there will be continually arguing over
    who would have ridden whom off their wheel at Smuggler's Notch. Custom
    bicycles only please.

    Recovery Ride: Just getting back from an injury, riding like you are, or
    maybe just looking for a little sympathy? This is the ride for you.
    Easy pace allows for conserving breath for whining whining whining. No
    complaint is disallowed, one-upsmanship will be graded. Rider with the
    worst proven injury and most obnoxious complaint will be given a gag at
    the end of the ride. Visible open sores cancel.

  4. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:17:15 +0000 (UTC), William Asher <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Mike Kruger wrote:
    >
    >> I'm a club newsletter editor. Next issue we publish the new
    >> ride schedule. I'd like to do a humorous sidebar on ride ideas
    >> that were rejected. Here's what I have so far. Any other
    >> ideas?
    >>

    >> Dogma Ride Pace: very fast Leader: Butch
    >> Butch has connected all the spots with dogs who love to chase
    >> and snap at your legs, and come up with this route which is
    >> great for interval training. Don't be the slowest cyclist on
    >> this ride!
    >>
    >> Hospital Ride Pace: slow Leader: Nurse Ratchett
    >> This ride visits various sites where club members have had
    >> accidents in the past few years. In some cases, the skid marks
    >> are still there on the road!
    >>
    >> Brickyard Tour Pace: fast Leader: Red
    >> This route winds through the brick sidestreets of Wilmette,
    >> allowing you to pretend you are riding in one of those spring
    >> European classics as you bump along. This ride goes rain or
    >> shine. Lunch at the Klay Oven restaurant.
    >>
    >> So, what are other bad ideas for a club ride?
    >>
    >> P.S. One of the rides above is actually from our club schedule
    >> from a couple of years ago. Can you guess which?
    >>

    >How about:
    >
    >Tour de Major Arterial: A selection of very busy roads frequented by
    >trucks, buses, emergency vehicles, and commuters in a hurry. Route will
    >include numerous railroad crossings, traffic lights. No regrouping, dark
    >clothing only. Fenders not required in case of rain. Ride leaves 4:30PM
    >or whenever, lights not required after dark. Use of the f-word to talk
    >to passing motorists will be required and prizes awarded for originality.
    >

    >Stockyard Ramble, Hog Farm Hejira, or Pulp Mills Perambulation: Enjoy
    >not only the sights and sounds, but the smells of cycling scenic and
    >odiferous roads. We'll be stopping for a lunch of red beans and rice,
    >chili dogs, and garlic paste because by then who cares what everyone in
    >front of you is doing. Frequent regroups and stops at the sleaziest
    >bathrooms we can find. Clean shorts optional.
    >

    >Lung Tasting Tour: Drop it into the big ring and hammer hammer hammer
    >out of the parking lot. Bring your scabs and your attitude. Special sag
    >vehicles will run stragglers off the road. Inclement weather will move
    >ride to local sports bar, where there will be continually arguing over
    >who would have ridden whom off their wheel at Smuggler's Notch. Custom
    >bicycles only please.
    >

    >Recovery Ride: Just getting back from an injury, riding like you are, or
    >maybe just looking for a little sympathy? This is the ride for you.
    >Easy pace allows for conserving breath for whining whining whining. No
    >complaint is disallowed, one-upsmanship will be graded. Rider with the
    >worst proven injury and most obnoxious complaint will be given a gag at
    >the end of the ride. Visible open sores cancel.

    All in favor of naming William to Activities Director say "Aye."

    Ron

  5. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "William Asher" <[email protected]> wrote
    <a bunch of good stuff>

    Thanks.

    in message news:[email protected]
> [...]

    Special sag
    > vehicles will run stragglers off the road. Inclement

    weather will move
    > ride to local sports bar, where there will be continually

    arguing over
    > who would have ridden whom off their wheel at Smuggler's

    Notch. Custom
    > bicycles only please.
    >

    > Recovery Ride: Just getting back from an injury, riding

    like you are, or
    > maybe just looking for a little sympathy? This is the ride

    for you.
    > Easy pace allows for conserving breath for whining whining

    whining. No
    > complaint is disallowed, one-upsmanship will be graded.

    Rider with the
    > worst proven injury and most obnoxious complaint will be

    given a gag at
    > the end of the ride. Visible open sores cancel.

  6. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    Another nominee:

    Mooch Ride
    Live off the land on this ride. Don't bring a pen, a sign-up
    sheet, a tube, patch kit or a pump. We'll head up the North
    Branch trail on a nice Sunday and borrow gear from passerby if
    there are any breakdowns. Rest stop at Panera where we'll eat
    the free samples of bagels and cream cheese, or we'll get
    taste spoons of ice cream at Baskin-Robbins.

  7. Diablo Scott

    Diablo Scott Guest

    Mike Kruger wrote:
    > I'm a club newsletter editor. Next issue we publish the new
    > ride schedule. I'd like to do a humorous sidebar on ride ideas
    > that were rejected. Here's what I have so far. Any other
    > ideas?

    Poser Ride:

    Only for those with megabuck bikes. We'll put them on our SUV's and
    drive to various park and ride lots, then ride a short distance to a
    nearby trendy coffee house or deli from each lot. We'll only ride on
    perfect roads so put on your special event wheels for maximum admiration
    from the masses. Please make sure your jersey and shorts match. New
    bar tape and water bottles are mandatory. Bring $50 for snacks and drinks.

    --
    My bike blog:
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  8. Chris Neary

    Chris Neary Guest

    >Poser Ride:
    >
    >Only for those with megabuck bikes. We'll put them on our SUV's and
    >drive to various park and ride lots, then ride a short distance to a
    >nearby trendy coffee house or deli from each lot. We'll only ride on
    >perfect roads so put on your special event wheels for maximum admiration
    >from the masses. Please make sure your jersey and shorts match. New
    >bar tape and water bottles are mandatory. Bring $50 for snacks and drinks.

    Extra credit if your socks match too.

    Chris Neary
    [email protected]

    "Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
    you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
    loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

  9. Mike Kruger wrote:
    > I'm a club newsletter editor. Next issue we publish the new
    > ride schedule. I'd like to do a humorous sidebar on ride ideas
    > that were rejected. Here's what I have so far. Any other
    > ideas?

    Ride for Prostate Cancer. This ride benefits prostate
    cancer survivors, and is open to male riders of upright
    bicycles ("wedgies") with old-style, non-anatomical
    saddles ("ass-hatchets").

  10. Neil Cherry

    Neil Cherry Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:17:15 +0000 (UTC), William Asher wrote:

    > I'm a club newsletter editor. Next issue we publish the new
    > ride schedule. I'd like to do a humorous sidebar on ride ideas
    > that were rejected. Here's what I have so far. Any other
    > ideas?

    Actual ride just nobody seems to like the concept

    The Shortest Day or Precious, it's my Birthday:

    Ride from Jamesburg to Bordentown to Sandyhook and back. Enjoy cool
    Jersey shore breezes and a leasurely ride along the Delaware as we
    ride through the narrowest part of the state. Occasional stops. Gale
    force winds or snow accumulation cancels and yes we'll still ride if
    it's below freezing.

    A/3/130 mile (A = 17 - 18 overall avg, 4 = flat, no hills)

    BTW, my club does the Longest Day ride a double century and it is a
    December ride.

    My friend is working on this:

    Hills of the Flatlands: Ride along the Jersey shore as we venture to
    every hill we can find. 4000ft total climb and back to sea level.

    B/3/70 (B = 16 -17, 3 = some hills)

    My current favorite and one I'm working on for this summer:

    Dyslexics of the world untie (or it's never a 3 hour tour!):

    Come join your fearless leader as we try out new routes which will
    include Ft Dix Artillery range (mechanics troubles and we'll abandon
    you), the spitting Lama (and you thought dogs were bad!), the Pine
    Barrens (there is no one for miles!). And I still haven't learned my
    left from my right.

    A+,4,130 +/- (A+ = 18+ overall avg, no hills, +/- means we could get
    lost and get more miles).

    --
    Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
    http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)

  11. "Arthur Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > > Brickyard Tour Pace: fast Leader: Red
    > > This route winds through the brick sidestreets of Wilmette,
    > > allowing you to pretend you are riding in one of those spring
    > > European classics as you bump along. This ride goes rain or
    > > shine. Lunch at the Klay Oven restaurant.

    > Sounds like some rides I've been on. I'm guessing the Brickyard Tour was a
    > real ride.

    There's one like that that David Robinson leads every year -- I think he
    calls it the the Taste of Hell -- as many brick streets in Seattle as he can
    find. He says he freaked out the City the first time he asked where they all
    were. They thought he was going to complain! You can read a description
    here:
    http://www.cascade.org/EandR/Activities_Calendar_RDetail.cfm?eventID=2362

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:

    I'm doing the Big Climb for my friend Dena! See:
    http://www.active.com/donations/campaign_public.cfm?key=cpetersky

  12. Gnarlito

    Gnarlito Guest

    Tour de Thunderbird. No vineyards or tasting rooms on this two-wheeled
    adventure. Instead, we'll cruise the industrial part of town, stopping
    at several of the club's favorite drive-through liquor stores to stock
    up on Cheetohs and top off our "water" bottles. Cycling apparel
    discouraged; suggested attire is early Salvation Army. And make sure
    those handlebars are in the fully upgright and locked position (that's
    right: bar ends to the sky, folks!). We'll be collecting aluminum cans
    along the way to fund the post-ride malt-liquor blowout, and you'll
    need someplace to tie on your 50-gallon plastic bag to hold the booty.
    Sorry, no sag support; we don't have any licensed drivers left in the
    club. Meet at 9 am Sunday at the blood bank on South 2nd street.

    Little Debbie Season Opener Out'n'Back Training Ride. Break out the
    Relaxed Fit spandex, sling on the feedbag, pump up the tires to 135
    psi, and lets' roll! We'll meet at Dunkin Donuts, go hard (5-7 mph)
    for 4 miles, regroup at the Golden Corral for the Sunday Brunch
    All-You-Can-Eat special, and then head back to the starting point. Make
    sure you bring a couple of sleeves of Archway cookies to avoid the
    dreaded bonk. All the sag wagons will have plenty of Gold Bond powder
    and baby oil on hand to ease the discomfort of those early-season
    chafed inner thighs.

  13. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Arthur Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:i[email protected]
    >
    > > > Brickyard Tour Pace: fast Leader: Red
    > > > This route winds through the brick sidestreets of Wilmette,
    > > > allowing you to pretend you are riding in one of those spring
    > > > European classics as you bump along. This ride goes rain or
    > > > shine. Lunch at the Klay Oven restaurant.

    > > Sounds like some rides I've been on. I'm guessing the Brickyard Tour was a
    > > real ride.

    > There's one like that that David Robinson leads every year -- I think he
    > calls it the the Taste of Hell -- as many brick streets in Seattle as he can
    > find. He says he freaked out the City the first time he asked where they all
    > were. They thought he was going to complain! You can read a description
    > here:
    > http://www.cascade.org/EandR/Activities_Calendar_RDetail.cfm?eventID=2362

    Ha! In our area the local Trek-VW team runs the "Harris-Roubaix" race, a
    full-on, sanctioned road race that includes a 1km gravel section each
    lap. I did it last year. The gravel chunks were coarse and loose, not
    hard-packed, and it's pretty crazy. I got knocked out of the race by a
    mechanical caused by getting bumped from behind while waiting to get
    onto the gravel (the back of the pack in the big races literally has to
    stop and wait to get onto the gravel, because there isn't enough room
    through the narrow entrance).

    Here's a nice shot of the gravel. Note how the riders make use of the
    wheel-ruts, the only viable riding lines on the gravel:

    http://www.trekvwracing.com/gallery/roubaix04/pic19.html

    Last year saw annoyingly good conditions: sunny skies, mild weather. Not
    a hint of rain or cold.

    Strangely, my Cat 4/5 DNF isn't on the results table,
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
    Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

  14. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    Ryan Cousineau wrote:

    > Here's a nice shot of the gravel. Note how the riders make use of the
    > wheel-ruts, the only viable riding lines on the gravel:
    >
    > http://www.trekvwracing.com/gallery/roubaix04/pic19.html

    Just a guess: you're not a mountain biker, are you?

    (Those AREN'T "ruts"! Ruts can swallow bikes whole! :) )

  15. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    > "Arthur Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > > > Brickyard Tour Pace: fast Leader: Red
    > > > This route winds through the brick sidestreets of

    Wilmette,
    > > > allowing you to pretend you are riding in one of those

    spring
    > > > European classics as you bump along. This ride goes rain

    or
    > > > shine. Lunch at the Klay Oven restaurant.

    > > Sounds like some rides I've been on. I'm guessing the

    Brickyard Tour was a
    > > real ride.

    > There's one like that that David Robinson leads every

    year -- I think he
    > calls it the the Taste of Hell -- as many brick streets in

    Seattle as he can
    > find. He says he freaked out the City the first time he

    asked where they all
    > were. They thought he was going to complain! You can read a

    description
    > here:

    http://www.cascade.org/EandR/Activities_Calendar_RDetail.cfm?eventID=2362

    Art imitates life! My "Brickyard Tour" was (I thought)
    fiction -- in fact, there are always a bunch of complaints if
    anyone leads a ride through Wilmette on these routes.
    Wilmette actually replaces brick streets with new brick
    streets -- they are regarded as a traffic-calming device that
    also adds charm.

    The "real" ride of the ones I posted was the hospital ride, in
    which we rode around to sites where club members had been hit
    by cars.

  16. Veloise

    Veloise Guest

    I need to find the old narrative from a club in Canada. They did an
    all-night ride and hit **every** Tim Horton;\'s (donut shop) in the
    metro. The rule was: they had to buy and eat something at every stop.
    So they had some TimBits, and a TimPie, and some TimWater...

    --Karen M.
    happy to find lead articles on UseNet

  17. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Veloise" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I need to find the old narrative from a club in Canada. They

    did an
    > all-night ride and hit **every** Tim Horton;\'s (donut shop)

    in the
    > metro. The rule was: they had to buy and eat something at

    every stop.
    > So they had some TimBits, and a TimPie, and some TimWater...
    >
    > --Karen M.
    > happy to find lead articles on UseNet

    That's too close for comfort -- one of our club's most popular
    rides is the "hot dog ride", where we stop at several hot dog
    stands. A polish here, a chardog there, ... hey, I haven't
    had a bratwurst yet... Is it windy enough for a chili dog?

    Too many hot dog places in Chicago to hit them all, though.

  18. Neil Cherry

    Neil Cherry Guest

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 01:15:33 GMT, Bill Sornson wrote:
    > Ryan Cousineau wrote:
    >>
    >> Here's a nice shot of the gravel. Note how the riders make use of the
    >> wheel-ruts, the only viable riding lines on the gravel:
    >>
    >> http://www.trekvwracing.com/gallery/roubaix04/pic19.html

    > Just a guess: you're not a mountain biker, are you?
    >
    > (Those AREN'T "ruts"! Ruts can swallow bikes whole! :) )

    I have a ride like that, down by the Jersey shore (in Hawthorn (sp?)
    woods) which rides up a gravel road, the ruts tend to be packed but
    loose gravel (the rangers drive this road daily). The rest is loose
    gravel. I sometimes get complaints about that section because it's
    off-roading (pedel too hard and you spin out in the gravel, pedal too
    soft and you fall down). There's just pleasing some folk. :)

    --
    Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
    http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
    http://hcs.sourceforge.net/ (HCS II)
    http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog

  19. Neil Cherry

    Neil Cherry Guest

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 21:00:16 -0600, Mike Kruger wrote:
    > "Veloise" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> I need to find the old narrative from a club in Canada. They

    > did an
    >> all-night ride and hit **every** Tim Horton;\'s (donut shop)

    > in the
    >> metro. The rule was: they had to buy and eat something at

    > every stop.
    >> So they had some TimBits, and a TimPie, and some TimWater...
    >>
    >> --Karen M.
    >> happy to find lead articles on UseNet
    >>

    > That's too close for comfort -- one of our club's most popular
    > rides is the "hot dog ride", where we stop at several hot dog
    > stands. A polish here, a chardog there, ... hey, I haven't
    > had a bratwurst yet... Is it windy enough for a chili dog?

    That reminds me of a route I did from the club collection. It ended up
    being a 62 mile ride with no stops as we couldn't find a single store
    on the route! I haven't done that one since but I now know where every
    store is within 5 miles of my routes (this is South Jersey and still
    farm land). The reason it reminded me of that was an encounter we had
    on my modified version of that ride. There is a store in Chesterfield
    that is billed as an Ice Cream shop. There a vegetarian rider took
    offense to the way another rider scarfed down a hot dog (I was upset
    too, not enough yellow mustard! ;-). Ocasionally we ride for hot dogs!