Club Tactics

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Brizza, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Brizza

Brizza New Member

I was in a race which combined 2 local clubs today.
    During the race (B Grade) their where blatant club tacics of blooking for other riders.
    We started with 35 riders and over 48km averaged 39kph, it was fast and good training :D, I finished 5th after leading out the sprint.
    We had a few bunches go off the front, and it was clear that the riders at the front of the pack where blocking or sitting second wheel on someone who was working. We didn't catch the pair who lead for the final lap.
    I'm guessing that these tactics are more common in larger clubs in cities, but they stike me as anti competitive, if you're not there to win, why are are you there?

At the presentation nobody clapped 1st or 2nd, I was a bit disapointed.

Can riders from larger clubs inform me if I am being unreasonable to expect a competive outcome from a local race or are these tactics common in larger and more competitive clubs.

Tags:

2. mjolnir2k

mjolnir2k New Member

I ride a Crit race series (10 weeks) every thursday night and there are several clubs that are part of this (my club included).

At the beginning of the series everyone rides for themselves. However, after the first 4-5 weeks each club has a "clear" leader who has taken home the points and is toward the top of the standings. That means that for the next 5-6 weeks his/ her teammates work to keep them at the top. Blocking is certainly a tactic used when a 1 team has a very strong rider and the other teams need to hem him in to give their rider a chance.

Other times teams will try and wear down a different teams strongest rider by sending attacks off the fron every lap.

Strategy is a huge part of racing. If you are on a team, you will one day reap the benefits of this. If you are not on a team then the best thing to do is find a team that rides in a manner you feel comfortable with and keep on their wheels.

Good luck!

3. Brizza

Brizza New Member

Newcastle has a small cycling community and no teams although they do work as a club where a bunch has combined the 2 main road clubs.
    We have another combined race this weekend and I'll take the initiative for the first breakaway.
    If I get the chance to look for a team in Sydney I'll certainatly be doing so.

Thanks

Brian

4. lazysegall

lazysegall New Member

From my experience this always happens as the level of cycling increases...At least until teams fight within themselves. Good/anticompetitve tactics need to countered by good team work on your part. Having two clubs combine for a race seems like a good way to be introduced to team tactics...I really wouldn;t consider this unfair...unless such tactics were usually not used in previous combined races.

5. Brizza

Brizza New Member

We had a Central Division race today.
    Age Championships placed me in Elite, although most of the top local riders where attending the Paramatta Open.

Group tactics wheren't as obvious this time, although the bunch would have caught the winning break if they had worked together. This time there was less blocking and more confussion as riders didn't want to lead in the headwind. We had a few surges during the tailwinds so that made the race more interesting.
    At the last combinned race my club was badly out numbered, however the existance of other clubs created a few breaks.

I was in one break, and when I dropped back the bunch had disappeared (gone home), has anyone else 'lost' a bunch?

6. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Did the bunch just pull out? thats a bit bloody soft :rolleyes:

7. Brizza

Brizza New Member

I dunno cause I was between the winning pair and the bunch, but I was the last of the 7 riders to finish.
    It was a bit windy and we had some light rain (still soft ;) )
    We had 37 starters