Clueless Jay can't even mount a Deuter seat bag under a Brooks B17?

Jay

Guest
Deuter Bike Bag III Klick N Go System does not fit a Brooks B17 Saddle?

I have just received my Bike Bag III with the Klick N Go attachment system.
It seems like the attachment bracket is much too narrow to fit the rails of
my Brooks B17 saddle. Here are three pics:

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/deuter-bracket1.jpg

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/deuter-bracket2.jpg

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/deuter-bracket3.jpg

If I attach the bracket lower, where it makes contact with both rails, then
the angle of the bag is all wrong. And the bag is too close to the seat
post. It does not fit.

Am I mounting the bracket incorrectly? Or is the bracket simply incompatible
with the Brooks B17 saddle?

Confused as usual - J.

"Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Deuter Bike Bag III Klick N Go System does not fit a Brooks B17 Saddle?
>
> I have just received my Bike Bag III with the Klick N Go attachment
> system. It seems like the attachment bracket is much too narrow to fit the
> rails of my Brooks B17 saddle. Here are three pics:
>
> http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/deuter-bracket1.jpg
>
> http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/deuter-bracket2.jpg
>
> http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/deuter-bracket3.jpg
>
> If I attach the bracket lower, where it makes contact with both rails,
> then the angle of the bag is all wrong. And the bag is too close to the
> seat post. It does not fit.
>
> Am I mounting the bracket incorrectly? Or is the bracket simply
> incompatible with the Brooks B17 saddle?
>
> Confused as usual - J.

I plan to use strong cable ties to attach the mount to the seat rails. That
is not really a problem. It will look jury-rigged, rather than the elegant
system I saw in my mind's eye.

Mainly, I am disappointed in this Deuter product. Are the Brooks B17 rails
spaced much wider than the average seat?

J.

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:30:49 -0600, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I plan to use strong cable ties to attach the mount to the seat rails. That
>is not really a problem. It will look jury-rigged, rather than the elegant
>system I saw in my mind's eye.

Can you use something like plumbers strap wrapped around the seat
rails and sandwiched between the plates of the mounting bracket?

Plumbers hanger strap comes in copper to match the rivets of your
saddle but I wouldn't trust it except to try the concept and then, if
it works, make something from stainless.
--
zk

"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:30:49 -0600, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I plan to use strong cable ties to attach the mount to the seat rails.
>>That
>>is not really a problem. It will look jury-rigged, rather than the elegant
>>system I saw in my mind's eye.

> Can you use something like plumbers strap wrapped around the seat
> rails and sandwiched between the plates of the mounting bracket?
>
> Plumbers hanger strap comes in copper to match the rivets of your
> saddle but I wouldn't trust it except to try the concept and then, if
> it works, make something from stainless.
> --
> zk
>
> Thanks Zoot,

I have some experience in building construction (a previous life), so I am
familiar with pipe hanging strap. This would be a very durable solution.

But I also think heavy duty cable ties would be easier and cheaper. Because
I already have the cable ties, and they are much easier to cut than hanging
strap. And I am hanging a lil' bitty seat bag, not a length of pipe, which
needs to stay suspended for years.

J.

Jay wrote:
> I plan to use strong cable ties to attach the mount to the seat rails. That
> is not really a problem. It will look jury-rigged, rather than the elegant
> system I saw in my mind's eye.
> Mainly, I am disappointed in this Deuter product. Are the Brooks B17 rails
> spaced much wider than the average seat?

Yes.
Some consider that a 'feature'.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:42:39 -0600, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:30:49 -0600, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>I plan to use strong cable ties to attach the mount to the seat rails.
>>>That
>>>is not really a problem. It will look jury-rigged, rather than the elegant
>>>system I saw in my mind's eye.

>> Can you use something like plumbers strap wrapped around the seat
>> rails and sandwiched between the plates of the mounting bracket?
>>
>> Plumbers hanger strap comes in copper to match the rivets of your
>> saddle but I wouldn't trust it except to try the concept and then, if
>> it works, make something from stainless.
>>

> Thanks Zoot,
>
>I have some experience in building construction (a previous life), so I am
>familiar with pipe hanging strap. This would be a very durable solution.
>
>But I also think heavy duty cable ties would be easier and cheaper. Because
>I already have the cable ties, and they are much easier to cut than hanging
>strap. And I am hanging a lil' bitty seat bag, not a length of pipe, which
>needs to stay suspended for years.

I thought you were scorning the jury-rigged look of cable ties.
That's the only reason I suggested trying a metal strap.

One mounting remedy for the problem with old Pletscher rat-trap racks
sliding down the seat stays is to eliminate the T-formed piece of the
clamp and bolt the rack casting through a strap wrapped around the
stays. I believe there was a strap special made for the purpose but
Rivendell's picture shows only the, IMO, useless sliding mount.

The stainless strap had elongated holes for adjustment. When the
bolts were tightened the strap was cinched around the seat stays.
Perhaps it only worked because seat stays get wider apart if the load
is pushing the rack down. Saddle rails get narrower as you move down
toward the horizontal part. A wide strap wouldn't slide any further.

I found a store with dirt cheap, expandable, nicely finished,
under-seat bags. But, they have some proprietary mounting system
missing the male connector. I could pop off the plastic bits, rivet
on some straps and buckles to have a universal mounting under-seat
bag that cost less than six dollars.
--
zk