Clueless Newbie! Which bike would you pick?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Expensive Hobbi, Mar 29, 2003.

  1. I trying to decide on a new bike. I'm a road bike guy typically, but would like to get back into
    mountain bikes as well. Looking for a soft-tail with disk brakes in the $1400-1700 range. A lighter
    weight bike wouldn't be a bad thing either. Plan on riding trails for the most part, but want to do
    some jumping as well (to relive my BMX days!) Which bike would you recommend? I have a few ideas,
    but perhaps some of you out there will make some suggestions that I have not yet thought of.

    Thanks in advance

    Tags:

  2. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Expensive Hobbies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I trying to decide on a new bike. I'm a road bike guy typically, but would like to get back
    > into mountain bikes as well. Looking for a
    soft-tail
    > with disk brakes in the $1400-1700 range. A lighter weight bike wouldn't
    be
    > a bad thing either. Plan on riding trails for the most part, but want to
    do
    > some jumping as well (to relive my BMX days!) Which bike would you recommend? I have a few ideas,
    > but perhaps some of you out there will make some suggestions that I have not yet thought
    of.

    > Thanks in advance

    Ummm... not sure of the exchange rate but I'm very happy with my Giant NRS2. A relatively
    lightweight XC full susser. The NRS suspension and No Sag setup is not as plush as some of the bikes
    I tried so you might like it coming from no suspension. Not sure about the jumping part though. That
    might put a spanner in your spokes if you want "lighter weight" because, in my opinion, you'll
    really want a slightly more robust bike if you jump alot. Obviously lightweight isn't built for
    regular heavyweight use. I posted something similar today and suggested that the guy have a look at
    something like the Giant AC range or the Specialized Enduro - they're just a little more robust.
    That's my 2cents
    --
    Westie