Clunk

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by bill, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. bill

    bill Guest

    I have a cheap 3 speed coaster brake comfort cruiser. When accelerating
    I get a clunk when my left pushes down. Any ideas? Thanks

    Tags:

  2. On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:00:52 -0800, bill wrote:

    > I have a cheap 3 speed coaster brake comfort cruiser. When accelerating
    > I get a clunk when my left pushes down. Any ideas? Thanks

    If the cranks are cottered, it would seem to be a loose crank arm. If
    they are square tapered and you feel something like this, the crank arm is
    toast.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve
    _`\(,_ | death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to
    (_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
    -- J. R. R. Tolkein

  3. On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:00:52 -0800, bill wrote:

    > I have a cheap 3 speed coaster brake comfort cruiser. When accelerating
    > I get a clunk when my left pushes down. Any ideas? Thanks

    If the cranks are cottered, it would seem to be a loose crank arm. If
    they are square tapered and you feel something like this, the crank arm is
    toast.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve
    _`\(,_ | death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to
    (_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
    -- J. R. R. Tolkein

  4. >> I have a cheap 3 speed coaster brake comfort cruiser. When accelerating
    >> I get a clunk when my left pushes down. Any ideas? Thanks

    > If the cranks are cottered, it would seem to be a loose crank arm. If
    > they are square tapered and you feel something like this, the crank arm is
    > toast.

    Or, it could be where the brake arm is attached to the frame. If that's
    loose, each sequence of braking/accelerating will result in a "clunk" as the
    brake arm moves up & down.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    news:p[email protected]
    > On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:00:52 -0800, bill wrote:
    >
    >> I have a cheap 3 speed coaster brake comfort cruiser. When accelerating
    >> I get a clunk when my left pushes down. Any ideas? Thanks

    > If the cranks are cottered, it would seem to be a loose crank arm. If
    > they are square tapered and you feel something like this, the crank arm is
    > toast.
    >
    > --
    >
    > David L. Johnson
    >
    > __o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve
    > _`\(,_ | death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to
    > (_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
    > -- J. R. R. Tolkein

  5. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    bill wrote:
    > I have a cheap 3 speed coaster brake comfort cruiser. When accelerating
    > I get a clunk when my left pushes down. Any ideas? Thanks

    You seem to say that the clunk is heard in synch with the crank, and
    only as one side is pushed. If the crank is cottered, I'd suspect a
    mangled cotter pin. See http://sheldonbrown.com/cotters.html

    Mark

  6. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    bill wrote:
    > I have a cheap 3 speed coaster brake comfort cruiser. When accelerating
    > I get a clunk when my left pushes down. Any ideas? Thanks

    You seem to say that the clunk is heard in synch with the crank, and
    only as one side is pushed. If the crank is cottered, I'd suspect a
    mangled cotter pin. See http://sheldonbrown.com/cotters.html

    Mark

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    bill wrote:
    I have a cheap 3 speed coaster brake comfort cruiser.
    When accelerating
    > I get a clunk when my left pushes down. Any ideas? Thanks

    loose pedal
    problem with pedal bearing
    loose crank arm on spindle
    crank bearing assembly loose in the frame
    or maybe not properly lubed/adjusted

    Any experienced mechanic can tell you in a couple of minutes.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  8. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 12 Dec 2005 13:00:52 -0800, "bill" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I have a cheap 3 speed coaster brake comfort cruiser. When accelerating
    >I get a clunk when my left pushes down. Any ideas? Thanks

    Assuming that this has a one-piece crank, I'd start by greasing and
    adjusting the BB. It's been my experience that this is a typical
    place to find that noise in this type of unit. Also, from recent
    experience, check to make sure that the kickstand clamp isn't so close
    to the front sprocket that it makes contact when you exert pressure
    with the left pedal.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.