Clunking noise...

BillyTheKid

May 2, 2010
I recently picked up a Specialized Roubaix Expert at the LBS...I love this bike! Anyway, recently I've noticed that when I stand on the pedals I hear an audible "clunk" every time my left pedal passes the 5:30-6:00 position. It only happens when i'm really putting the power down...otherwise it's relatively quiet. I have almost 500 miles on the bike and am using Look Keo Classic pedals.

I've scanned the bike over for cracks etc. (would be REALLY worried if I already had some with so few miles and mostly smooth roads); I've also done the "wiggle" test on the cranks, wheels, headset, etc...and didn't feel anything out of place. The pedals seem to have some excessive play though...hmm. Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Bill

Noise can come from anywhere. A lot of creaks/clunks/squeaks/ticks etc are due to dry metal metal contacts at threads or bearing interfaces. They can be anywhere from the headset through the pedal threads to the hub-dropout connection.

However, I to am keen to know what exactly you mean by excessive "play". Play in the bearings? Is it radial play or axial play? Are the pedals just loose? Or is it just the fact that the cleats have a lot of float?

tafi said:
Noise can come from anywhere. A lot of creaks/clunks/squeaks/ticks etc are due to dry metal metal contacts at threads or bearing interfaces. They can be anywhere from the headset through the pedal threads to the hub-dropout connection.

However, I to am keen to know what exactly you mean by excessive "play". Play in the bearings? Is it radial play or axial play? Are the pedals just loose? Or is it just the fact that the cleats have a lot of float?

Sorry guys, I should have better expressed this. Exessive play...meaning that along the rotational axis of the spindle, there is slight movement (not visible, but merely felt...I'd say hundreths of an inch). When I perform the same 'wiggle test' with my Mtn bike pedals (Crank Bros and the Time's on my wife's bike), there is zero play.

The Roubaix frame is white (thankfully...should make finding any cracks easier), and I've gone over the bottom half with a fine-toothed comb and haven't seen any visible cracks nor have I subjected the frame to any sudden jolts, bumps or impacts that would cause such a thing. I'm not ruling it out, otherwise I wouldn't have asked the question... Ah...light bulb :eek:...I'll take the Keo's off and put the Crank Bros on temporarily...should either eliminate or validate the Keo's as the source of the noise. I've read on other threads that the Keo line is subject to all kinds of funny noises...including "clunks," though I haven't read about that particular fault with the Classics. Thanks guys for chiming in...this is a great site (been lurking for a while...seems much better and friendlier than the "other" bike forum).;)

Cheers!
bill

You can eliminate OR verify that the KEO pedals are the problem by using your Crank Bros. pedals on your next ride.