Clyde cadence

Nov 30, 2012
Ok, so I am wondering what the rest fo the clydes do for cadence. Also are you constantly spinning, or spin spin spin stop for 5 counts then spin spin spin. I maintain about 22 mph this way and it does not seem to bother me to badly. I have to constantly tell myself to keep spinning. and when I do I end up at like 25mph and just leave my group. On hills they just dust me though. Is this becuase i have standard gearing? Like would a mid compact set balance me out? -David

Originally Posted by David Gerchman .

Ok, so I am wondering what the rest fo the clydes do for cadence. Also are you constantly spinning, or spin spin spin stop for 5 counts then spin spin spin. I maintain about 22 mph this way and it does not seem to bother me to badly. I have to constantly tell myself to keep spinning. and when I do I end up at like 25mph and just leave my group. On hills they just dust me though. Is this becuase i have standard gearing? Like would a mid compact set balance me out? -David
I have standard gearing on my steel training bike and a mid-compact (50/36) on my Venge. When I spin at more than 90-100 I typically spin and then stop for a quick count ever so often. When I'm in the big ring (usually 90 and under) I keep it spinning to maintain momentum and if I can't maintain the speed I will downshift. This seems to work for me. I can't give you any speed figures because it really depends on the terrain.

I know I spend alot of time in the wrong gear (partly because of my down tube shifters) I plan on getting a new computer with a heart rate meter and a cadence meter. More data should help. I wonder if there is one that will allow me to upload the data?-David

My training bike also has DT shifters.

When I rode my Venge this past Sunday after a while in the saddle when I was good and tired, I wanted to shift. I actually reached down for the DT shifters. hahahahaha

I have Both the CATEYE double wireless w/ cadence (on the Venge) and the basic CATEYE w/cadence (on the Allez Steel) which has the wiring.

They both rock!

I thought you killed the allez?

It was in an accident but I repaired it a couple of years ago and have been using it as my training bike. Nice N' Heavy!

heavy? mine is only 20lbs. how heavy can it possibly be? as soon as I start getting school money mine is going on a diet. I should drop 1500 grams with wheels and a few more with some Ti hardware.

heavy? mine is only 20lbs. how heavy can it possibly be? as soon as I start getting school money mine is going on a diet. I should drop 1500 grams with wheels and a few more with some Ti hardware.
I last weighed my Steel Allez at 24lbs and change. It's got toe clips and steel fork, etc. I like it heavy for training.

David Gerchman said:
I know I spend alot of time in the wrong gear (partly because of my down tube shifters) I plan on getting a new computer with a heart rate meter and a cadence meter. More data should help. I wonder if there is one that will allow me to upload the data?-David
higher end bike computers or bike wristwatchs come with software and the capability to upload and analyze all data, with nice presentations and graphs, etc what i do with mine, which doesn't have those options, is to check out the summary after every ride, on the device, seeing average cadence, duration, average heart rate and calories burned. I also use the memory every month to write on my agenda duration, calories and number of sessions, then i reset it to 0 and start all over every month,

I spin at about 80-85 pretty much all the time on the flats. I ride at about 17mph. I can't maintain much over that. Too old, too fat, bad heart. Oh well. If you can do those speeds I'd say just keep doing whatever works. :)

I had to teach myself to ride 90-95 all the time or my lower back lets me know it in no uncertain terms. Being a big guy it felt way more natural to grind it out, but that led to some terrible things.

I don't know what standard gearing is but I set a cadence and just do it, no stopping or nothing. When I ride in a group I tell them what my cadence will be and I adjust my gearing Aaccordingly. If I am pulling away I go down to a granny gear. I do not ever spin and stop, I go out and give er all the time. I used to do 35km in 1.41 hours since I got the new shoes and click in my time is 1.16 and hills are nothing.