Clyde Tunnel 2

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bob Downie, Feb 1, 2006.

  1. Bob Downie

    Bob Downie Guest

    Thanks to all who replied to my thread asking about the Clyde Tunnel.
    Given the responses varying from "dodgy" to "you'll be fine" I had to
    give it another go.

    With my wife riding shotgun we set off for Govan and the northward
    heading tunnel. We had no ned trouble but were joyfully wished well by
    the super-lager drinkers outside the Govan betting shop. They seemed
    bemused to see cyclists on their patch.

    To be frank the tunnel did not seem dangerous mid-day, mid-week, but it
    was grotty. A burnt-out car at the top and the tunnel itself
    claustrophobic and graffitied.

    So we were fine but its not a place to hang around and I won't be going
    there after dark.

    For those who want to know more, here are a few pictures.
    http://www.downie-geo.demon.co.uk/Tunnel/Clyde_Tunnel.html

    Cheers

    Bob
    --
    Bob Downie
    Downie GeoScience Ltd.

    Tags:

  2. BigRab

    BigRab Guest

    Hi Bob:

    My the tunnel looks better than it did when I used it every day
    (commute only) from 1980 to 1995! Colourful (graffitti!) and that mini
    looks savable :)

    I never had any (not a single one) incident in my years as a Troglodite
    in the tunnel, and only heard the ghostly voices of the damned a couple
    of times.

    Has Clyde Tunnel Cycles at the Govan exit gone? I used to stop by manys
    a time to pass the time with the owner (now at the Velodrome in the Sky
    I believe).

    Robert
    Earth Sciences
    Glasgow University
    robertatearthscidotgladotacdotuk

  3. magnatomdb

    magnatomdb Guest

    Bob Downie wrote:

    > For those who want to know more, here are a few pictures.
    > http://www.downie-geo.demon.co.uk/Tunnel/Clyde_Tunnel.html
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Bob
    > --
    > Bob Downie
    > Downie GeoScience Ltd.
    > please remove #n0spam# to reply directly

    Well done for braving it!

    I cycled through that entrance yesterday afternoon and I didn't see the
    mini. Must have been cleared (or I was too busy mustering up the energy
    for the climb at the other side!)

    If you think it looks a bit spooky now you should have seen it when 50m
    of tunnel lights where spray painted with purple paint. The light could
    still get through but everything was a shade of purple!

    Oh and there was the time there was water leaking in at the bottom. The
    water was about 50cm deep and rising!

    The more I think about it the more happy memories I have of the
    tunnel!!

    Do you intend to pass through the tunnel again? The more people that
    use it the better it will get. Who knows I might see you down there.

    Cheers

    Dave

  4. Bob Downie

    Bob Downie Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    magnatomdb <[email protected]> writes
    >Do you intend to pass through the tunnel again?

    I will never be a regular but sure I'll use it again.

    >The more people that
    >use it the better it will get. Who knows I might see you down there.

    Perhaps it needs more advertising? How about an information sign at the
    Bell's Bridge telling riders of the delightful (OK useful) alternative a
    couple of miles to the west.

    Cheers

    Bob
    --
    Bob Downie
    Downie GeoScience Ltd.
    please remove #n0spam# to reply directly

  5. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Bob Downie wrote:

    > In message <[email protected]>,
    > magnatomdb <[email protected]> writes
    > >Do you intend to pass through the tunnel again?

    > I will never be a regular but sure I'll use it again.
    >
    > >The more people that
    > >use it the better it will get. Who knows I might see you down there.
    > >

    > Perhaps it needs more advertising? How about an information sign at the
    > Bell's Bridge telling riders of the delightful (OK useful) alternative a
    > couple of miles to the west.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Bob

    IIRC there is a map at bells bridge showing cycle routes I will have a
    look tonight if I remember and see if it shows the tunnel

  6. magnatomdb

    magnatomdb Guest

    Bob Downie wrote:

    > Perhaps it needs more advertising? How about an information sign at the
    > Bell's Bridge telling riders of the delightful (OK useful) alternative a
    > couple of miles to the west.

    Unfortunately I think the real reason it is quiet is fear (justified or
    not). I'm a black belt in judo and so feel a bit more confident cycling
    through the tunnel(justified or not?!?!). I think what it really needs
    is a proper CCTV system installed in the tunnel and not just at the
    entrances.
    Only then will more people feel safe cycling through the tunnel.
    However I fear that the safety of cycling facilities is very low on
    council priorities....

    Dave