Clydesdale Community Challenge

Most of the time my average speed is just under 15mph. I take five minute breaks, that is the time it take the
computer to shut down and I use that as a timer. I have only had to the a nature break twice this summer.

My 126 mile ride as mostly flat, my top speed that day was over thirty mph, but not much was that fast.
Less than five miles most likely. Most was in the 16 to 18 mph range. There is only one "hill" and I can
do about nine or ten up it with one short break about two thirds the way up. There is one short bridge
that I have to walk the bike across because of debris, rocks and glass that wash on the walk lane.
It was closer to eleven hours as well, left before nine am and got home well after seven pm. I was getting
concerned about not having lights on the bike.

It was a Huffy Savannah BTW. Hybrid, 18 speed, 700c size. I have a new gel seat that makes a big
difference as well.

Short ride yesterday, lots of things to do.

15,576.85+27.50=15,604.35

15,604.35 + 177 = 15,781.35 as of 22-Oct

BHOFM, you have 5000+ miles on that Huffy? Wow, the average purchaser probably doesn't accumulate 1/10th the mileage over their lifetime. How has the bike held up over the miles?

You obviously have a lot of time to dedicate to riding, which is cool. I get most of mine commuting or in group rides when I can get out of the house. I have spent a lot of energy getting faster, but I have not had many long relaxing ride which I used to enjoy.

-keep pedalng.

About 1600 is on the Huffy. I got it from a pawn shop for $10 after an employee took it to lunch and
wreaked it. Bent the front wheel, tore off one hand grip and broke a pedal. The rear wheel was slightly
bent as well but not sure it was the accident. I called Huffy about a new wheel in case it was too far
gone to true, they told me the bike was made in Feb. 2010. My original idea at the time of purchase
was to put it on a stand with the rear wheel on the roller for use indoors this winter. How ever I have
since bought an old exercise bike and have it fixed up for use this winter.

Lewis and Clark trued the wheels for $15 and I bought a set of Oury grips and Summit pedals for
another $16.

I have rode it hard ever since..

Most of the miles were put on a Walmart mountain bike, NEXT Power Climber, I put tires on it at about
700 miles and replaced the brake pads about the same time as the originals were very grabby and
would slide the rear tire at the slightest pressure. I paid $88 for the Climber and it has held up very
well.

Both bikes were dismantled and all the bearings cleaned and lubed with marine grade grease before
I started riding them on a regular basics

Both bikes get serviced once a week, everything checked, chain cleaned and lubed, over all cleaning
of the bike.

I have ordered a new bike, a Schwinn Avenue, in the box from Walmart. I plan on getting it ready this
winter, tearing it completely apart and putting it back together with extreme care. I have a seat and
pedals for it as well as lights and mirrors. It has dual water bottle mounts so that solves one problem
I have encountered this year. I went to the local Walmart and borrowed one for an hour to see how
it was. The bike fits me well and it was well assembled and adjusted so I got a good ride from it. It
has extremely good reviews at the Walmart site. It is over $50 cheaper to buy it on line, shipping
was less than $2 and I plan on a complete tear down anyway. It is shipped from a warehouse less
than ten miles from the house but takes about five days to get, no biggie.. I have all winter to get it
road ready.

Todays ride, very windy, gusts over 45 mph, I should have stayed home! One down hill section which
I often get close to or just above 30 mph I had to use 7th gear and never got to 10 mph on the down
hill. How ever I did manage 25 mph in 14th gear coming up the hill./img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

15,781.35+19.00=15,800.35

Two rides today, 18 with the wife, and 25.3 later.
Still very windy but nice, mid 70's and lots of sun.
Tomorrow is going to be great. hoping to do 60+.

15,800.35+43.30=15,835.65

Originally Posted by mccornwall .

15835.65 + 7.44 = 15843.09 miles

It's getting dark too early to ride after work.

Don'tcha hate that about winter!! I do. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif

15,843.09+16.60=15.859.69

Fighting a 40+ mph head wind at times in first gear. Just rode to my folks and a little
through the park trails. Not a nice day.

No ride today. New bike is here and I am putting it together. Checking it over like an
airplane check out. Installing all the goodies.....

Pictures in a later thread.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Well, Mike, that's one of the best 'excuses' I've ever heard! It's a rare and wonderful thing to have a dad so involved in his kids' lives, and I applaud you for it. And congratulations to your kids and their band! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

15,886.69 + 17.1 = 15,903.79

I dressed too warm on the commute in; hot /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif !

However; the ride home was rather chilly.

Sat.

15,903.79+43=15.946.79

Sun.

15,946.79+21=15,967.79

Last post!

Good luck to you all and God bless.