clydesdale newbie with shin splints needs training tips

tiwang

Guest
Hello all,

I started doing sprint distance triathlons last year and would like to
improve my performance this year. Last year I did three events with my
best time being 2 hrs 5 minutes. I am looking for some advice in tuning
up my training. I am not interested in equipment advice as much as
improving my physical performance. I currently ride a Trek 700 hybrid
and no doubt a decent road bike would make a difference. Maybe after my
performace improvement curve flattens I will consider a new bike but
for now that is not my focus. I want to do at least another three
sprint tri's this summer and then begin training for the olympic
distance tri's. These things are addictive! Just had an EKG and stress
test, Dr says my heart is in excellent condition so I am ready to go
for it.

Current Training Regimen:

In the winter I hit the treadmill three mornings a week, walking. 5
mins warm up, 30 mins at 130 - 150 HR, 5 mins cool down. I swim once a
week, 1000m at a comfortable crawl in about 28 minutes. When the
weather warms I will cycle several times a week. One 10 mile route at a
13 MPH avg, a couple of 3.7 mile routes at a 13 MPH avg and a few
leisurely cruises of 5 - 10 miles at a 10 MPH avg.

I need to be able to run/trot/jog the entire 3.1 miles of the sprint
tri. During the tri's I typically trot for a hundred yards then walk a
couple hundred so I end up trotting maybe 1/3 of the distance. There
have been a few things that have kept me from running which were
probably weight related. Shin splints and plantar fascitus (sp). I
started wearing better shoes with good arch support and am reducing my
gross tonnage. My BMI has gone from 41.2 down to 37.3 and is still
dropping. The plantar is all but gone, shin splints I have had even
before I was fat. I discovered the special pain which is shin splints
back in the late 70's while in basic at Ft Knox.

Thanks in advance for any advice regarding shin splints or my training
in general.

Hello,
I've battled shin splints my whole life. They were extremely bad last
year, and limited my training. This winter I've worked to get rid of them,
and have been able to increase my run miles. Here is what I did:

1. Go to a good running shoe store, and get a good pair of shoes.

2. If the shoes don't help, go to a podiatrist. Mine recommended orthotics,
which I'll get before my first du (couldn't afford them after buying a new
tri bike frame for Christmas). In the meantime he sold me a good arch
support (cost $30). This has helped.

3. Strengthen your calfs by doing toe raises.

4. Be sure to stretch before running. I sometimes use heat applied to my
shins before running.

5. Use ice after running, whether you feel like you need it not.

6. In between runs use a massager to help relieve the pain.

I hope this helps,
Larry

"tiwang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello all,
>

> I started doing sprint distance triathlons last year and would like to
> improve my performance this year. Last year I did three events with my
> best time being 2 hrs 5 minutes. I am looking for some advice in tuning
> up my training. I am not interested in equipment advice as much as
> improving my physical performance. I currently ride a Trek 700 hybrid
> and no doubt a decent road bike would make a difference. Maybe after my
> performace improvement curve flattens I will consider a new bike but
> for now that is not my focus. I want to do at least another three
> sprint tri's this summer and then begin training for the olympic
> distance tri's. These things are addictive! Just had an EKG and stress
> test, Dr says my heart is in excellent condition so I am ready to go
> for it.
>

> Current Training Regimen:
>
> In the winter I hit the treadmill three mornings a week, walking. 5
> mins warm up, 30 mins at 130 - 150 HR, 5 mins cool down. I swim once a
> week, 1000m at a comfortable crawl in about 28 minutes. When the
> weather warms I will cycle several times a week. One 10 mile route at a
> 13 MPH avg, a couple of 3.7 mile routes at a 13 MPH avg and a few
> leisurely cruises of 5 - 10 miles at a 10 MPH avg.
>
> I need to be able to run/trot/jog the entire 3.1 miles of the sprint
> tri. During the tri's I typically trot for a hundred yards then walk a
> couple hundred so I end up trotting maybe 1/3 of the distance. There
> have been a few things that have kept me from running which were
> probably weight related. Shin splints and plantar fascitus (sp). I
> started wearing better shoes with good arch support and am reducing my
> gross tonnage. My BMI has gone from 41.2 down to 37.3 and is still
> dropping. The plantar is all but gone, shin splints I have had even
> before I was fat. I discovered the special pain which is shin splints
> back in the late 70's while in basic at Ft Knox.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice regarding shin splints or my training
> in general.

I have been suffering with shin splints for several years as well. The
thing that has helped me the most was a set of custom orthotics designed to
support the arch but also cushion at the same time. I agree with the other
posters recommendations especially the ice down after runs and good
stretching of the calf and achilles tendon before running. Keep up with the
exercise and as you lose weight your times will go down. I've lost about 20
pounds over the last two years and my sprint tri times have dropped by about
25 minutes.
"tiwang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello all,
>

> I started doing sprint distance triathlons last year and would like to
> improve my performance this year. Last year I did three events with my
> best time being 2 hrs 5 minutes. I am looking for some advice in tuning
> up my training. I am not interested in equipment advice as much as
> improving my physical performance. I currently ride a Trek 700 hybrid
> and no doubt a decent road bike would make a difference. Maybe after my
> performace improvement curve flattens I will consider a new bike but
> for now that is not my focus. I want to do at least another three
> sprint tri's this summer and then begin training for the olympic
> distance tri's. These things are addictive! Just had an EKG and stress
> test, Dr says my heart is in excellent condition so I am ready to go
> for it.
>

> Current Training Regimen:
>
> In the winter I hit the treadmill three mornings a week, walking. 5
> mins warm up, 30 mins at 130 - 150 HR, 5 mins cool down. I swim once a
> week, 1000m at a comfortable crawl in about 28 minutes. When the
> weather warms I will cycle several times a week. One 10 mile route at a
> 13 MPH avg, a couple of 3.7 mile routes at a 13 MPH avg and a few
> leisurely cruises of 5 - 10 miles at a 10 MPH avg.
>
> I need to be able to run/trot/jog the entire 3.1 miles of the sprint
> tri. During the tri's I typically trot for a hundred yards then walk a
> couple hundred so I end up trotting maybe 1/3 of the distance. There
> have been a few things that have kept me from running which were
> probably weight related. Shin splints and plantar fascitus (sp). I
> started wearing better shoes with good arch support and am reducing my
> gross tonnage. My BMI has gone from 41.2 down to 37.3 and is still
> dropping. The plantar is all but gone, shin splints I have had even
> before I was fat. I discovered the special pain which is shin splints
> back in the late 70's while in basic at Ft Knox.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice regarding shin splints or my training
> in general.

the only that will amke you go faster is to go faster.

Instead of a steady swim throw some 25-20 sprint sets in there. Do some
track work. Jog 800 m,sprint 100m 4 times and then 4x400m taking as much
time as it took you to get around to rest. Biking, for big guys like us the
hills are killer, 1st get a road no matter how old, get an bianchi or trek
you can them for about $100-200 for an 80-90. Once you get a bike Do hill
repeats on the bike. Find a good hill, not too steep, about the same as a
highway off ramp (do not use an off ramp) make sure it is long to take about
1-2 min to get and then repeat going up about 10-1 times rsting at the top
and then coasting down before going again.

Another thing for us big guys is to get some good shoes, make sure they fit
and offer support.

tiwang wrote:

> Thanks in advance for any advice regarding shin splints or my training
> in general.

I've had a few problems with calves and shins, and what I've found is
that swimming on the day of a run or the day after and using flippers
for some of that swim really gives a good stretch. And of course you
also get in a swim session.

DaveB

3 thoughts for you on this:

1 - Surface

By far one of the best surfaces you can train or run on is hard pack
dirt, similar to a track field around a high school football stadium or
a running path like at a local park or along a flood control channel.
This will greatly reduce the stress you have on your shins. When given
the choice, try to train this way.

2 - Mileage

Do not increase running mileage by more than 10%. If you increase
mileage 10% and pain presents then reduce back to the previous mileage.

3 - Shoes

You mentioned it and special control shoes, but being a large IM
triathlete I can tell you that one of the best shoes for large runners
is the Brooks Beast. It can take a pounding. Plus, since you are large
like me, you need to make sure you adhere to the advice of getting new
shoes often! Write the date on your shoes in permanent marker and
change them around anywhere from 250-400 miles. With your training of
approx. 9 miles a week you should get a pair of shoes to last about
6-10 months.

tiwang wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I started doing sprint distance triathlons last year and would like to
> improve my performance this year. Last year I did three events with my
> best time being 2 hrs 5 minutes. I am looking for some advice in tuning
> up my training. I am not interested in equipment advice as much as
> improving my physical performance. I currently ride a Trek 700 hybrid
> and no doubt a decent road bike would make a difference. Maybe after my
> performace improvement curve flattens I will consider a new bike but
> for now that is not my focus. I want to do at least another three
> sprint tri's this summer and then begin training for the olympic
> distance tri's. These things are addictive! Just had an EKG and stress
> test, Dr says my heart is in excellent condition so I am ready to go
> for it.
>

> Current Training Regimen:
>
> In the winter I hit the treadmill three mornings a week, walking. 5
> mins warm up, 30 mins at 130 - 150 HR, 5 mins cool down. I swim once a
> week, 1000m at a comfortable crawl in about 28 minutes. When the
> weather warms I will cycle several times a week. One 10 mile route at a
> 13 MPH avg, a couple of 3.7 mile routes at a 13 MPH avg and a few
> leisurely cruises of 5 - 10 miles at a 10 MPH avg.
>
> I need to be able to run/trot/jog the entire 3.1 miles of the sprint
> tri. During the tri's I typically trot for a hundred yards then walk a
> couple hundred so I end up trotting maybe 1/3 of the distance. There
> have been a few things that have kept me from running which were
> probably weight related. Shin splints and plantar fascitus (sp). I
> started wearing better shoes with good arch support and am reducing my
> gross tonnage. My BMI has gone from 41.2 down to 37.3 and is still
> dropping. The plantar is all but gone, shin splints I have had even
> before I was fat. I discovered the special pain which is shin splints
> back in the late 70's while in basic at Ft Knox.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice regarding shin splints or my training
> in general.

In addition to the great advice above, make sure you have a decent
nutrition/diet plan. The weight should come off pretty easily if
you're training most days, but make sure you do a bit of reading to
understand what you should be eating and when. It's important to make
sure that your body is getting the right nutrition to deal with the
training you're doing.

Re the shin splints I don't have too many problems but do suffer with
back and knee problems if I run a lot. Ice after training and good
trainers will help, as will strengthening the calves. I also find it's
useful to substitute sessions on the cross trainer for runs. Not
perfect but more sports specific than cycling. I'd be inclined to take
a total break from running and work on losing weight and strengthening
your calves until the shin splints go away entirely. You can then
reintroduce running very gradually - starting slow and short and not
increasing the mileage by more than 5-10% a week. I know people who
have run respectable triathlon times with virtually no running
training.

Most people reckon you need to swim at least 2 or 3 times a week to
achieve and maintain decent technique. It sounds as though at the
moment the swim is your best leg so maybe you don't need to worry so
much but bear it in mind as your run and bike improve - 1000m once a
week isn't going to improve your swim time any.

Also try some indoor cycling in the winter - a turbotrainer's best if
you've got one but if not then the bikes down your local gym or going
to a spin class is good.

"tiwang" <[email protected]> wrote...

[...]

> I need to be able to run/trot/jog the entire 3.1 miles of the sprint
> tri. During the tri's I typically trot for a hundred yards then walk a
> couple hundred so I end up trotting maybe 1/3 of the distance. There
> have been a few things that have kept me from running which were
> probably weight related. Shin splints and plantar fascitus (sp). I
> started wearing better shoes with good arch support and am reducing my
> gross tonnage. My BMI has gone from 41.2 down to 37.3 and is still
> dropping. The plantar is all but gone, shin splints I have had even
> before I was fat. I discovered the special pain which is shin splints
> back in the late 70's while in basic at Ft Knox.

I used to struggle with shin splints when I ran cross country and track in
high school. After high school, I took up *ballet* and the shin splints
went away just like that, and never came back.

<pause for effect>

Relax, you don't have to sign up for ballet classes. What you have to do is
tone the muscles of your feet and lower legs so that they can support your
running. Every morning, I roll my feet over a cylindrical object (like a
bottle) for about five minutes, and then stretch my feet - both tops and
bottoms. Twice a week (usually during a weight session), I'll do a couple
of sets of calf raisers on the stairs and then turn around and do toe
raisers. That is, I stand with my heels on the edge of the stair and raise
my toes.

This will build strong, flexible feet and ankles that can absorb the impact
of running instead of passing it to your shins. Also, the extra flexibility
in your feet and ankles will help your swimming. That's a nice "extra".

Don't overstride and hit the ground heel first when you run. Instead, learn
to run by landing on your forefoot and letting your heels just touch the
ground. Keep your legs under you, so to speak. Lean forward and feel like
your legs are going up and down instead of reaching out.

Dr. Nikolai Romonov is a pioneer at teaching this style of running, and he
has a website - www.posetech.com. He is somewhat of a huckster, that is,
he's out to sell you stuff. But I've used his methods for years, and I
*never* get injured.