Clydesdale Organs

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
A little story for you Clydes. I was in very good shape back in 2005, some really tough climbing timed events. I did 7300 miles in 2005. For the last 18 years I have done 4000+ miles. But I got lazy and inconvenienced when my wife's father got sick and passed away. He was in a hospital for 7 months, biweekly visits with a couple hours driving and little time to eat right. In other words, eating on the run and eating ****.

Well he passed away and the trend continued for a couple of years. Little riding and other issues, legal family etc. The weight just snuck up on me and quickly. I have never eaten so much fast food before. After everything cleared I continued the trend of eating out because it was convenient. Of course not much fast food but actual restaurants, good one! :D

Before I knew it I was ballooned up but didn't really think much of it since I was still riding. Thinking I was still pretty healthy doing 3000 miles per year I continued to eat in a celebrating kind of way. We celebrated everything, no wind today celebrate, no rain today, celebrate, 8 hour work day, celebrate!

My wife's employer has a wellness program. They go to the doc, discount, they exercise, discount, they go the eye doc, discount. She racks up points and saves on the insurance premium. She scheduled a physical then talked me into going too. I didn't want to hassle with it but OK. I thought I was good since I had been cycling and pumping a little iron.

Boy was I wrong! My blood work came back with some outrageous numbers. I can't ever get them straight but my liver and kidney numbers were not good.

Kidneys should be 80, my reading was 140! :(
Liver should be 90, was 125 :(
A1C was 7.5 type 2 diabetic. :(

Doc gave me a choice. Medicine or change of eating habits and exercise. I hate the thought of medicine and side effects and always being a competitive soul, F that Mr. Beanz does not do medicine! :angry:

I totally change my eating habits. Not a single french fry in 65 months, no fast food, no junk food, no celebrating with food. Doc gave me 5 weeks to prove myself. Wanted me to bring my A1C number down to 6.7.

5 weeks later I was at 7.1. I figured another 5 weeks would put me at my goal. 5 weeks later I was at 6.3! :lol:

Doc called to congratulate me and asked what I was doing. Eating a balanced diet (following sample plans provided by medical group).

Good thing was my organ numbers dropped big time!

Kidneys reading was 140!....should be 80 or less, now down to 25! B)
Liver should be 90, was 125....now down to 60 B)

My cholesterol was normal and my blood pressure also dropped to normal

It's true, you are what you eat! Be careful and even though you may think you are healthy at your heavy weight, get checked! I didn't think much of it but now I am thinking it saved my life or a whole lot of suffering. I know people on dialysis and I do not want to go that way.

Before and after. About 2 years ago. I think I put on another 10 after that! I've dropped 47 pounds by simply eating right, no fad or hipster diets, just a balanced diet!

Get checked, find out what your numbers are! I'm 52 and if I can do it............!!!!!

0throwBT_zpsbktpuhl5.jpg

This was me 10 years ago. Just averaged 20 mph on a 62 mile ride in AZ. I trained for the ride and traveled from Ca to participate. Another 10 lbs and I will be down to this weight of 10 years ago.

beanz3.jpg

And this weight. a 114 mile timed event with 12,000 ft of climbing! B)

ba6.jpg

Reactions: steve
By the name of the title, I thought this thread was going to be NSFW.

Good job on turning things around with your health.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
"F that Mr. Beanz does not do medicine!"

That is some good advice! You can do all those prescription drugs when you're old. For now, let fitness and a healthy life style keep you going.

Congrats! I'm not a heavy rider, but I usually browse this forum for my SO (he's 100kgs and doesn't speak english lol) but I wanted to share a similar experience as I thought I was being very healthy doing pilates and running, I was losing weight too and next thing, at my routine check up, my insulin levels were very high. I was diagnosed insulin resistance and was also offered medication, or a plan of diet + exercise. I went with the exercise, few months later I got a job that is 16kms from home so the commute has helped a lot. Now my insulin levels are normal and I can allows myself a cheat meal once a week :D

Hey there! Congrats on your commitment to staying healthy and active. It's great to hear that you're enjoying pilates and running. It's always surprising when our health doesn't match up with what we think is a healthy lifestyle. I'm sorry to hear about your insulin resistance diagnosis, but it sounds like you made a great choice by opting for exercise instead of medication. And what a bonus to have a job that's 16kms from home! Cycling to work is such a fantastic way to incorporate exercise into your daily routine. Keep up the great work, and don't hesitate to reach out if you need any support or advice along the way. Stay safe and ride on!