CN is a big player, but the centre of Cycling?

GoneBeforeMyTime

Guest
I know Turd brought this up a while back, but it just took me a little time
to think about this since I've been busy. What is the deal with this giant
thumbnail that just clicks to another duplicate of CN? Is this a power grab?
I always liked CN in the past, their down and dirty, simple format was easy
and straightforward, but what is the deal with this ****? That's a big
arrogant statement, and bold I would say to have a giant thumbnail that
clicks to another copy of CN.

I want to know who did that? I doubt seriously that was Jeff's idea. What's
the purpose of sticking that in our faces?

Does CN really think they are the end all to be all in cycling? I worry when
companies start talking like that. I hope that Future publishing company
doesn't have enough money to go around buying up all the semi-major cycling
sites and roll them into one like what happened in America with radio
stations, newspapers and TV stations. However, they won't have to, if the
big Telcos have their way.

As a cycling fan, I am asking CN to take that off their website, because its
offensive and arrogant to me, probably to others too. They may be big in the
English speaking public worldwide, but that's a big stretch since they don't
offer French, Italian, Dutch and Spanish versions, not to mention half a
dozen other languages. I have always supported CN in the past, but they are
not the world center of cycling (IMO), and God forbid they become one.

CN is one of the big players in cycling, but not the center, (IMO).

Cycling belongs to literally hundreds if not thousands of cycling sites,
magazines, and organizations worldwide, and especially those thousands of
cycling journalists in their local zones who offer unique birds eye view of
races and reporting in my opinion. Dragneting the ocean is a very poor way
to fish. As I have said before, that I wish they would put more quality into
the bigger events, and leave the mom and pop stuff to mom and pop. I was
always afraid of a Walmart in cycling. However CN is not the biggest threat
by far, and I am not sure of their intentions really, since I haven't talked
with Jeff of Gregor in a long time, but the biggest threat would be the
hostile takeover of the Internet by those who want to control the pipes,
Telcos or whatever major big media conglomerates who want to decide what
they want you to see, and when they want you to see it.

Like TV, the internet could be diced up into subscribers packages with huge
news oligarchies controlling what you read and see. If we lose the Internet
to those guys, you can kiss cycling goodbye. They haven't figured out how to
do it yet, but believe me, they are working on it, 24/7. It's their long
term goal to control the last major frontier of worldwide access.

GBMT

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:26:05 -0700, "GoneBeforeMyTime"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>As a cycling fan, I am asking CN to take that off their website, because its
>offensive and arrogant to me, probably to others too.

You rule. We, the cycling community, are fortunate to have brave men
such as you taking such a principled stand.

> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:26:05 -0700, "GoneBeforeMyTime"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>As a cycling fan, I am asking CN to take that off their website, because
>>its
>>offensive and arrogant to me, probably to others too.

> You rule. We, the cycling community, are fortunate to have brave men
> such as you taking such a principled stand.

That giant thumbnail that clicks to a ditto of CN seems very unnecessary.

The diversity of thousands of cycling sites worldwide is what makes a small
sport like cycling so unique in the world today, combined with Internet
which give all these people an awesome affordable platform to deliver their
content. It really is a thousand points of light, and it should never be
lost to huge takeovers by major cycling sites or telcos, especially telcos
who have no interest except the major box office draws of baseball, football
and basketball.

Just saying, but seeing that again on CN this morning is a bit disturbing,
and its corny because it has no practical application, except chest
thumping.

GBMT

In article <[email protected]>,
John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:26:05 -0700, "GoneBeforeMyTime"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >As a cycling fan, I am asking CN to take that off their website, because its
> >offensive and arrogant to me, probably to others too.

> You rule. We, the cycling community, are fortunate to have brave men
> such as you taking such a principled stand.

John, he is so totally gonna kick your ass...

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Howard Kveck wrote:
> John, he is so totally gonna kick your ass...

I hope JFT isn't flying American Airlines to Sausolito.

On Apr 12, 1:23 pm, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>  John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:26:05 -0700, "GoneBeforeMyTime"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > >As a cycling fan, I am asking CN to take that off their website, because its
> > >offensive and arrogant to me, probably to others too.

> > You rule.  We, the cycling community, are fortunate to have brave men
> > such as you taking such a principled stand.

>    John, he is so totally gonna kick your ass...
>
> --
>                               tanx,
>                                Howard
>
>                         Whatever happened to
>                         Leon Trotsky?
>                         He got an icepick
>                         That made his ears burn.
>
>                      remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

No Way, unless JT takes a trip to Sausalito for coffee even then it'd
be prtty sketchy. If he's offeneded by that, one would hope that
somewhere between his house and the Starbucks, let alone NYC he'd find
something a little more provacative to get sidetracked into.

This maybe:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/business/20080327-1351-chronicoilspiller.html
Small oil producer in California gains reputation in Santa Barbara as
big polluter

If it's internet stuff:
http://www.splcenter.org/intel/hatewatch/?source=redirect&url=hatewatch
http://www.tolerance.org/hate_internet/index.jsp

or corrupt business practices:

I'm pretty sure that between you and I, and JT we could suggest a hell
of a list of things that might be a little more worth writing, or
taking action on.
Davey's stories about the old days of CN were a little more
interesting than the current question.
Hell I'm pretty damned happy to get whatever we can here in the
States and usually start at CN.
Bill C

"Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote in message

I'm pretty sure that between you and I, and JT we could suggest a hell
of a list of things that might be a little more worth writing, or
taking action on.
Davey's stories about the old days of CN were a little more
interesting than the current question.
Hell I'm pretty damned happy to get whatever we can here in the
States and usually start at CN.
Bill C

Maybe so, but the center belongs to everyone who makes a contribution to
cycling, and they all rotate in and out of the center, which is dynamic and
actively changing, but no one can lay claims to be the center of cycling, it
belongs to all of us.

GBMT

"Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:26:05 -0700, "GoneBeforeMyTime"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >As a cycling fan, I am asking CN to take that off their website, because
>> >its
>> >offensive and arrogant to me, probably to others too.

>> You rule. We, the cycling community, are fortunate to have brave men
>> such as you taking such a principled stand.

> John, he is so totally gonna kick your ass...

You are a hyena.

wrote:

>I know Turd brought this up a while back, but it just took me a little time
>to think about this since I've been busy. What is the deal with this giant
>thumbnail that just clicks to another duplicate of CN? Is this a power grab?
>I always liked CN in the past, their down and dirty, simple format was easy
>and straightforward, but what is the deal with this ****? That's a big
>arrogant statement, and bold I would say to have a giant thumbnail that
>clicks to another copy of CN.
>

>I want to know who did that? I doubt seriously that was Jeff's idea. What's
>the purpose of sticking that in our faces?
>

>Does CN really think they are the end all to be all in cycling?

Did you know that http://www.cracked.com/ is "America's Only Humor & Video Site,
Since 1958"

On Apr 12, 2:59 pm, "GoneBeforeMyTime" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Maybe so, but the center belongs to everyone who makes a contribution to
> cycling, and they all rotate in and out of the center, which is dynamic and
> actively changing, but no one can lay claims to be the center of cycling, it
> belongs to all of us.
>
> GBMT

I wasn't aware that "Centre", or "Center" ,the word, was exclusive
property of anyone, or group. How about "All the news that's fit to
print"? It's a bit of hyperbole, so what. Gonna dig up P.T. Barnum for
"The greatest show on Earth" and go after him?
What the hell did they do to **** you off? Write something negative
about one of the women, and if so wouldn't it make more sense to
discuss that?
You're not usually irrational, but we all have our days I guess.
Bill C

"Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
On Apr 12, 2:59 pm, "GoneBeforeMyTime" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Maybe so, but the center belongs to everyone who makes a contribution to
> cycling, and they all rotate in and out of the center, which is dynamic
> and
> actively changing, but no one can lay claims to be the center of cycling,
> it
> belongs to all of us.
>
> GBMT

I wasn't aware that "Centre", or "Center" ,the word, was exclusive
property of anyone, or group. How about "All the news that's fit to
print"? It's a bit of hyperbole, so what. Gonna dig up P.T. Barnum for
"The greatest show on Earth" and go after him?
What the hell did they do to **** you off? Write something negative
about one of the women, and if so wouldn't it make more sense to
discuss that?
You're not usually irrational, but we all have our days I guess.
Bill C

Pot calling the kettle black, stop ranting Bill.

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:26:05 -0700, GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:

> I know Turd brought this up a while back, but it just took me a little
> time to think about this since I've been busy.

You've been busy since 2002, when Cyclingnews started using the slogan
'The world centre of cycling'?

You need to work on your time management.

John
Former Cyclingnews bloke.

"JohnJohn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:26:05 -0700, GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
>
>> I know Turd brought this up a while back, but it just took me a little
>> time to think about this since I've been busy.

> You've been busy since 2002, when Cyclingnews started using the slogan
> 'The world centre of cycling'?
>
> You need to work on your time management.
>
> John
> Former Cyclingnews bloke.

Taking it out of context. No, I was referring to that particular huge window
that seemed to serve no purpose, as when you click on it, it just recycled
to the CN homepage. With the constant drumbeat Centre of Cycling, it was
annoying. I said my peace about it. It's that simple, and you don't have to
make anything more out of it.

GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
> I said my peace about it. It's that simple, and you don't
> have to make anything more out of it.

War and Piece.

On Apr 13, 5:04 am, "GoneBeforeMyTime" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "JohnJohn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:26:05 -0700, GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:

> >> I know Turd brought this up a while back, but it just took me a little
> >> time to think about this since I've been busy.

> > You've been busy since 2002, when Cyclingnews started using the slogan
> > 'The world centre of cycling'?

> > You need to work on your time management.

> > John
> > Former Cyclingnews bloke.

> Taking it out of context. No, I was referring to that particular huge window
> that seemed to serve no purpose, as when you click on it, it just recycled
> to the CN homepage. With the constant drumbeat Centre of Cycling, it was
> annoying. I said my peace about it. It's that simple, and you don't have to
> make anything more out of it.

It's an MPU. Don't worry, it will be an ad soon enough.

Jeff

GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
> "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:26:05 -0700, "GoneBeforeMyTime"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> As a cycling fan, I am asking CN to take that off their website, because
>>> its
>>> offensive and arrogant to me, probably to others too.

>> You rule. We, the cycling community, are fortunate to have brave men
>> such as you taking such a principled stand.

> That giant thumbnail that clicks to a ditto of CN seems very unnecessary.

I don't see a giant thumbnail since I have Adblock installed. I am a
little peeved that the site was coded to leave a giant blank spot in
it's place rather than closing it up. If I don't click on a race result
fast enough I have to scroll down to try again. Poor web design.

Jeff Jones wrote:
> It's an MPU. Don't worry, it will be an ad soon enough.

Ah. After a few refreshes I finally saw what Bruce meant. The banner and
rectangle were both from Procycling when I checked earlier.