CO: anyone up for a Peak to Peak Hwy Century ???

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Scott, Jun 10, 2003.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Greeting Front Range Cyclists,

    We have a world-class, scenic alpine byway in our backyard. Once you've "worked" your way up to the
    Peak to Peak Highway, the scenery is breathtaking and the riding is not too tough. As far as I know
    there is no club currently doing a century here. If anyone knows who used to run it, please let me
    know - maybe they can share their expertise.

    I measured a loop last year from my house on south Broadway: S to Rt 72 Rt 72 (Coal Creek) to PTP
    PTP N to Nederland, Estes Park SE to Lyons S to Boulder about 110 miles - no good way to round it
    down Two shorter options could head back down at Ward or Lyons.

    I traced this route on my computer and running it CCW would avoid the longest, steepest climbs in
    Coal Creek. The Saturn Cycling classic rated this climb as "off the charts", or whatever that is
    in French.

    I've led private tours before and have done many, many organized rides and tours but, I would like
    some help if anyone wants to make this an organized event. For now, maybe it would be better if it
    was self-supported only. Let's do one and see how it feels. I'd like a FUN non-racing group (maybe
    10 riders) to ride this loop ASAP.

    Maybe we can recruit a larger group for later in the summer ? Maybe we can make it an annual/public
    ride ? Or maybe we can "just do it" on the first Sunday of July, Aug, Sept ? Anyone out there
    interested ? Organized or unorganized ? Big or small ? Is nastier better ? Do we want a Triple
    Bypass death-ride ? Or a fun ride ? beer and music in Ned, Estes, Lyons
    - and a party at the finish in Boulder ?

    Please e-mail me directly and I will add a page to my website for suggestions, interest, dates,
    etc. In addition to your riding background, hopefully, some of you will come forward with stuff
    like: "I've got 3 riders that will definitely do it" "I've run some club rides and would love to
    help" "my spouse will drive a SAG for us" "my sister has a bar in Lyons that would welcome
    hungry/thirsty cyclists"

    NOTE: If you are a hotshot racer and you ride this route every Tuesday after school, good for you -
    please ignore this post.

    thanks,

    Scott [email protected] http://www.ScottMurrish.com

    Tags:

  2. Sounds interesting! But aren't 93 and 36 (from Estes to Lyons) pretty crappy riding?

    news:[email protected]...