CO: anyone up for a Peak to Peak Hwy Century ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scott

Greeting Front Range Cyclists,

We have a world-class, scenic alpine byway in our backyard. Once you've "worked" your way up to the
Peak to Peak Highway, the scenery is breathtaking and the riding is not too tough. As far as I know
there is no club currently doing a century here. If anyone knows who used to run it, please let me
know - maybe they can share their expertise.

I measured a loop last year from my house on south Broadway: S to Rt 72 Rt 72 (Coal Creek) to PTP
PTP N to Nederland, Estes Park SE to Lyons S to Boulder about 110 miles - no good way to round it
down Two shorter options could head back down at Ward or Lyons.

I traced this route on my computer and running it CCW would avoid the longest, steepest climbs in
Coal Creek. The Saturn Cycling classic rated this climb as "off the charts", or whatever that is
in French.

I've led private tours before and have done many, many organized rides and tours but, I would like
some help if anyone wants to make this an organized event. For now, maybe it would be better if it
was self-supported only. Let's do one and see how it feels. I'd like a FUN non-racing group (maybe
10 riders) to ride this loop ASAP.

Maybe we can recruit a larger group for later in the summer ? Maybe we can make it an annual/public
ride ? Or maybe we can "just do it" on the first Sunday of July, Aug, Sept ? Anyone out there
interested ? Organized or unorganized ? Big or small ? Is nastier better ? Do we want a Triple
Bypass death-ride ? Or a fun ride ? beer and music in Ned, Estes, Lyons
- and a party at the finish in Boulder ?

Please e-mail me directly and I will add a page to my website for suggestions, interest, dates,
etc. In addition to your riding background, hopefully, some of you will come forward with stuff
like: "I've got 3 riders that will definitely do it" "I've run some club rides and would love to
help" "my spouse will drive a SAG for us" "my sister has a bar in Lyons that would welcome
hungry/thirsty cyclists"

NOTE: If you are a hotshot racer and you ride this route every Tuesday after school, good for you -
please ignore this post.

thanks,

Scott [email protected] http://www.ScottMurrish.com

Sounds interesting! But aren't 93 and 36 (from Estes to Lyons) pretty crappy riding?

"Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Greeting Front Range Cyclists,
>
> We have a world-class, scenic alpine byway in our backyard. Once you've "worked" your way up to
> the Peak to Peak Highway, the scenery is breathtaking and the riding is not too tough. As far as I
> know there is no club currently doing a century here. If anyone knows who used to run it, please
> let me know - maybe they can share their expertise.
>
> I measured a loop last year from my house on south Broadway: S to Rt 72 Rt 72 (Coal Creek) to PTP
> PTP N to Nederland, Estes Park SE to Lyons S to Boulder about 110 miles - no good way to round it
> down Two shorter options could head back down at Ward or Lyons.
>
> I traced this route on my computer and running it CCW would avoid the longest, steepest climbs in
> Coal Creek. The Saturn Cycling classic rated this climb as "off the charts", or whatever that is
> in French.
>
> I've led private tours before and have done many, many organized rides and tours but, I would like
> some help if anyone wants to make this an organized event. For now, maybe it would be better if it
> was self-supported only. Let's do one and see how it feels. I'd like a FUN non-racing group (maybe
> 10 riders) to ride this loop ASAP.
>
> Maybe we can recruit a larger group for later in the summer ? Maybe we can make it an
> annual/public ride ? Or maybe we can "just do it" on the first Sunday of July, Aug, Sept ? Anyone
> out there interested ? Organized or unorganized ? Big or small ? Is nastier better ? Do we want a
> Triple Bypass death-ride ? Or a fun ride ? beer and music in Ned, Estes, Lyons
> - and a party at the finish in Boulder ?
>
> Please e-mail me directly and I will add a page to my website for suggestions, interest, dates,
> etc. In addition to your riding background, hopefully, some of you will come forward with stuff
> like: "I've got 3 riders that will definitely do it" "I've run some club rides and would love to
> help" "my spouse will drive a SAG for us" "my sister has a bar in Lyons that would welcome
> hungry/thirsty cyclists"
>
> NOTE: If you are a hotshot racer and you ride this route every Tuesday after school, good for you
> - please ignore this post.
>
> thanks,
>
> Scott [email protected] http://www.ScottMurrish.com

Status
Not open for further replies.