Co-Pilot Limo vs. Argos Trail-A-Tot

Giles Paterson

Guest
From reading the group archives in Google, I get the impression that
child trailers are generally favoured over child seats. However,
trailers invariably cost considerably more than seats, so on Sunday, the
wife and I bought a Co-Pilot Limo so that I can take our daughter (1
year old) to and from nursery.

However, I have just noticed that Argos do a very cheap child trailer:
http://tinyurl.com/36sfr Which I believe is made by Phillips.

So my question for the group is this:

Should I stick with the Limo child seat, or would I be better off with
the Argos trailer?

Cheers,

--
Giles Paterson

[to reply, replace nospam with my first name]

Giles Paterson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> From reading the group archives in Google, I get the impression that
> child trailers are generally favoured over child seats.

horses for courses to an extent. They ar ebetter for different things

> Should I stick with the Limo child seat, or would I be better off with
> the Argos trailer?

I suspect that a crappy trailer will be average to poor for anything
expect (although possibly including) pootling. The limo is quite a
good seat so will be good at the things that seats are better for
(being cheaper, taking up less room, being lighter, getting through
gaps). Decathlon's trailer (looks similarish to the philips) was on
at GBP80, down from gbp210 at Surrey Quays, London. I don't have much
practical experience of trailers but it looked heavy and the fold down
size was quite large

best wishes
james

I would agree that this comes down to 'horses for courses'.

The limo is an excellent child seat and at 1 year old your child
should be old enought to wear a H**met. Quite a few children are
injured due to the bike they are seated on falling over and a helmet
should be able to give protection in such low speed falls. If you
haven't done so already getting a good quality centre stand fitted
might be a good idea to give stability when loading and unloading.

A child seat maintains the manouverability of a bike in traffic and
can be easier to take down cycle paths fitted with barriers and so on.
However a seat cannot give the protection offered by a good trailer. A
trailer would be the best choice for extended rides in the country as
your child will be able to sleep in comfort and even play with some
toys as they go along. A trailer will also have plenty of storage
space for all that stuff you need to look after a baby!

We bought a Chariout Cougar 1 which we also use as a pushchair. This
was expensive (£400) but is very well designed and made. (See
http://www.cycle-heaven.co.uk/family.html and
http://www.chariotcarriers.com/html_english/home.htm ). All the
fittings are alloy extrusions or castings, even those that look as
though they are made of moulded nylon (this is just a coating).

It is fitted with a good suspension system and with the large third
wheel fitted is ideal for walking. We have done some longish mountain
walks in Snowdonia using this and young Madeleine really seemed to
enjoy it! Another good thing about this trailer is that we were able
to buy a well designed baby hammock to fit it. This means we we even
able to walk home from the hospital with her after she was born.

Chariot also do 'city' trailers with a moulded floor pan that are even
more robust and suitable for all weather use.

In article <[email protected]>, Howard wrote:

>A child seat maintains the manouverability of a bike in traffic and
>can be easier to take down cycle paths fitted with barriers and so on.

And you can talk to your child, and it doesn't take up so much space
in the crowded bike park outside nursery school.