Co-worker needs to gain weight

Acheno84

Mar 7, 2016
Hello everyone! I currently work with someone who is very athletic, but he claims that he cannot gain weight no matter what he does. He doesn't do any cycling, but he is active in various sports. He's tried whey protein, is eating 6000 calories a day, and eats like nothing I have ever seen.

Has there been anything that has helped you bulk up? He's been talking about steroids and I am telling him not to go that route and that there are other options for him, but he's been doing shopping and has already figured out how he can get them off of the streets. I worry that he will just destroy his body and will gain the bad weight.

What can you recommend?

Obviously he has a problem with his metabolism which is ultra fast. But that is an enviable problem that most women covet to have. On the contrary, he can gain weight by eating the right food. First is the rice. If he is not a rice eater then he has to learn. Alternating rice with noodles or pasta is a good idea. Always have meat. For dessert, plantain in syrup would add another pound. Try that for 2 weeks and match it with ample sleep and plenty of rest.

People who struggle to gain weight do have a high or over active metabolism, and so the first stop I'd go to if I was him would be the doctors to have a full check up, just to make sure that's all it is.

There are weight gain supplements out there on the market that will allow a person to gain weight and bulk up, without resorting to steroids. Off the top of my head, Maximuscle do a range of powders that you make into shakes that have a high calorie content for this specific reason, so that could be worth recommending?

I used to be like your friend. No matter what I do or eat I never seem to bulk up. I needed to be at a certain weight during those times in order to engage in certain activities but I just gave up on the thought. I realized these things that I will be eating will just harm my body and other organs. Now I am on that ideal weight without doing anything.

Hi there, I actually think your friend should see a doctor if he is eating 6000 calories a day and not gaining weight, I know you said he is very active but I would be slightly concerned if someone was eating that much with no weight gain. In the hospital that I work in we always give patients who need to gain weight full fat milk. Also you can get high calorie supplement drinks that are used for patients who are underweight but they might only be available with a prescription.

Reactions: hades_leae
I too have an overactive metabolism but I am able to gain weight. I eat a lot of protein rich foods like almonds and peanut butter throughout the day. I use GNC Amplified *** and I blend it with milk, ice cream, and a snicker bar. Steroids will do more harm than good and trust me he don't want to end up like most of these people addicted to steroids because let's not forget, IT IS A DRUG!!

To gain weight, you need to work hard. It's not at all easy to gain weight. You need to eat a lot of protein. Many people usually fail to follow this step. You should also work out and go to the gym. Most people workout at home but I would recommend you to go at the gym.

Reactions: hades_leae
I'm very low weight myself, really wondering how to gain weight the right way, without over shooting it either. Cyclists seem to usually very thin, is there a specific reason to this or just a by-prioduct of cycling?

There are many weight gain tips that you can find on the Internet but none of them seem effective. The most effective way to gain weight is changing your lifestyle. You should eat healthy foods that are high in calories (no junk foods). As other members said, you should also consume plenty of protein.

A lot of people tend to think that in order to gain weight they have to simply eat high calorie, high fat foods and while that will put weight on, it will also increase the other health risks as well so it isn't recommended. Like others ave already said, there are a lot of foods out there on the market that are intended for people who need to gain weight, and while some of them might be expensive, they're a lot safer on the body than just eating junk food morning, noon and night instead.

It certainly is tricky, there is a ton of information on how to loose weight, but not on how to gain weight. There is an easy method, and that is binging on fast food and not exercising, but that won't be too healthy for him and could create more problems then it's worth.

Well if you want to gain weight, then what you're after doing is gaining weight over your entire body and improving your core strength. Binging on fast food and beer for example isn't going to do that and while you may put weight on, it will be just on your stomach.

Upping you daily calorie intake but making sure you're eating the right kind of foods is important as only then will you be able to gain weight healthily and in turn that will make your body mass increase and it won't be just a case of you've gone fat.

A easy way to gain weight would be for him to stop being so active. Having minimal exercise and eating that many calories would certainly add on some pounds but what exactly is he eating? What he is eating will depend on if its healthy weight or bad fat.

The golden rule is to consume more calories than you burn off as that's the only way you're going to physically gain any weight but with people with an high metabolism that can be easier said than done. I worked with a person that can pretty much eat as much junk food as they want and still not put any weight on.

Needless to say there is a lot of jealousy off others, and especially those that only have to walk past a cheeseburger and they gain a few pounds! whether we're overweight or underweight, people never seem to be happy with their bodies and everyone will wan't to change in one aspect or another it seems. If it's for health reasons then fair enough, but if it's simply for cosmetic reasons I think we need to just be happy with how we are and if we don't need to change then why worry about it?

Yeah, your co-worker has a turbo-charged metabolism. My brother-in-law has the same issue. He can chow down on a bus load of food, but he can't gain weight at all. But then again, he's fit and healthy so I don't think it's really a serious problem. Some folks are born with an unnaturally fast metabolism, and that's just the way things are.

Reactions: pwarbi
Yeah, your co-worker has a turbo-charged metabolism. My brother-in-law has the same issue. He can chow down on a bus load of food, but he can't gain weight at all. But then again, he's fit and healthy so I don't think it's really a serious problem. Some folks are born with an unnaturally fast metabolism, and that's just the way things are.

That was also my point, and if a person is fit and healthy, then sometimes there's no real point in worrying about your weight. The only reason they'll want to put weight on is for the cosmetic reasons and so while being happy with yourself is important, if you are struggling to gain weight then it isn't really going to be all that important and something certainly not worth worrying too much about.

To gain weight, you need to work hard. It's not at all easy to gain weight. You need to eat a lot of protein. Many people usually fail to follow this step. You should also work out and go to the gym. Most people workout at home but I would recommend you to go at the gym.

I find it super easy to gain weight, and I'm very athletic, every ones body is really different. I can't relate to the guy being talked about, but I know it's super easy for me to gain weight. Pretty much everything I eat makes me gain weight in ways that I don't want. It's also easy for me to burn that weight off just from the work I do in the gym.

I don't see how this person can physically eat so much, and still not gain weight. Or maybe that's not the case.

He could try reducing his activity in half, less movement and physical strain should translate into weight gain. He can also try relaxing at night by drinking some beers while eating grilled meats or barbecues.

It's best to have him checked by a doctor because he may have hyperthyroidism or other medical problems which can be resolved through prescribed medicine.