co2 cartridges when flying

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by marmatt, Feb 28, 2006.

1. marmatt

marmatt New Member

does anyone know if you can bring co2 cartridges on an airplane?, I'm going overseas and would rather bring some than buy them there.

Tags:

2. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Its an absolute NO NO!! :eek: Compessed gas containers are forbidden under ICAO regulations.

3. guillotine007

guillotine007 New Member

absolutely 100% correct. i'm a pilot and this was just on a hazardous material test i had to take. you could probably get away with just putting them in your checked baggage, but whatever.

Klein

4. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Definitely verbotten, and besides, it's easy enough to pick some up when you arrive at yer destination.

5. John M

John M New Member

Not-permitted unless discharged of gas, which would of course make them useless for flat tires. This is a link to the TSA discussion about compressed gas cylinders for paintball guns (which, in principal, would be similar to the cartridges used for inflating tires).

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1745.xml

Since checked luggage is X-rayed prior to international flights, I would not chance sneaking them through.

6. dorkpants

dorkpants New Member

on domestic flights in australia they are allowed... it is up to individual airlines to make up policy regarding small canisters of non-flammable compressed gas.

not sure about internationally, though

7. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

Like everyone says, no cartridges on the Plane, plus, you're expected to de-flate your tires too which is a double whammy!!

in fact was I was gonna take our road bikes to Maui next week but it's such a pain we decided to rent a couple...you can rent a Lightspeed or Scott for $45 per Day...(Obviously not high end ones)

Go to your Airlines website and look under Baggage whatever, I know for sure United have some stuff about it because that's who we're flying with....

8. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah Banned

Check out West Maui Cycles in Lahaina. Ask for Dave. I rented a Cannondale R-5000 there last year. A pretty high end ride. Good luck.
    808-661-9005
    www.westmauicycles.com

Are you going to do Haleakala while you're there? It's killer....

9. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

Thanks a lot Lonnie, I'll put that # in my Cell just in case...I've actually booked a couple of Bikes at gomaui cycling but if anything goes wrong I'll deffinately give Dave a call...do they rent MTB's? I'm a big Cannondale Fan, I'm on my second, so a Dale would be perfect...and yes, I'm gonna do Haleakala...I've been reading up on it and asking questions etc, so if you've done it please let me know of your experience...

I found a great page on the "Crater Climb" at
    http://www.chainreaction.com/haleakala.htm it's very entertaining and has a lot of usefull info...well written...I'm planning on doing it next Friday, 10th March...I guess it takes a lot of patience and tenacity...as long as I don't start coughing up blood at 8500 ft I'll be OK....;-)

Thanks again!!