CO2 Inflator and Hutchinson Tire questions...

Jaguar27

Sep 19, 2003
Hi Pals...
First of all, am I correct in thinking that after inflating a Tire with a CO2 Cartridge the Tire should be deflated (when home of course) and re-inflated with "Real" air ?

This might seem a daft question, but I had a flat last week, used my CO2 thingy to inflate the Tire, a few days later the Tire was as flat as a Pancake again, I thought I had another Flat, so I removed the Tube, inflated it to 10psi (no air loss after 30 mins), then checked the inside of the Tire after turning it inside out nothing...I put the Tube back in, inflated to 125psi, did 35 miles, no problem..and two days later the Tire still has ample wind...

Or did the freezing CO2 stick the Presta Valve open? I dunno...any comments?

Also, I'm now on my second rear Hutchinson Carbon comp tire in around 500 miles...is this normal? Or am I just applying too much power to the rear wheel? (Hopefully it's the latter, but I doubt it) :(

My Car Tires cost around $249 each, my Bike Tires around $50, at this rate it will cost me more to keep my Bike on the road than my flippin' Car!!

And that just isn't Cricket..as they say.

Thanks in advance for any/all input... ;)

I've read that the CO2 will leak quicker (naturally) due to molecule size, etc. I have done enough digging to KNOW that to be true, it's just what I've read..as well as similar posts to yours.

Based upon your experience, it would seem to support that theory. Of course, it's POSSIBLE you did something to the stem to cause it to leak, but I lean toward the former explanation.

John

Jaguar27 said:
Hi Pals...
First of all, am I correct in thinking that after inflating a Tire with a CO2 Cartridge the Tire should be deflated (when home of course) and re-inflated with "Real" air ?

This might seem a daft question, but I had a flat last week, used my CO2 thingy to inflate the Tire, a few days later the Tire was as flat as a Pancake again, I thought I had another Flat, so I removed the Tube, inflated it to 10psi (no air loss after 30 mins), then checked the inside of the Tire after turning it inside out nothing...I put the Tube back in, inflated to 125psi, did 35 miles, no problem..and two days later the Tire still has ample wind...

Or did the freezing CO2 stick the Presta Valve open? I dunno...any comments?

Also, I'm now on my second rear Hutchinson Carbon comp tire in around 500 miles...is this normal? Or am I just applying too much power to the rear wheel? (Hopefully it's the latter, but I doubt it) :(

My Car Tires cost around $249 each, my Bike Tires around $50, at this rate it will cost me more to keep my Bike on the road than my flippin' Car!!

And that just isn't Cricket..as they say.

Thanks in advance for any/all input... ;)

Thanks for the reply John...

I just checked the Tire and it's still solid as a rock after 3 Days with real air...

I may have done something to the Valve, I don't think so though, but it is possible...it was a brand new Tube BTW...

Next time I have a flat and I use my CO2 I'll see if the same thing happens, although it will be a different tube...

I did read that CO2 Cartridges contain Oil and it's best to hold the Cartridge upright whilst inflating?

I've also heard it's best not to inflate too quickly using one of these gadgets for fear of freezing the Valve stem internals...

I don't know any of this for sure...

But thanks again for your valuable input to these perplexing (to me at least) questions....

Mansmind said:
I've read that the CO2 will leak quicker (naturally) due to molecule size, etc. I have done enough digging to KNOW that to be true, it's just what I've read..as well as similar posts to yours.

Based upon your experience, it would seem to support that theory. Of course, it's POSSIBLE you did something to the stem to cause it to leak, but I lean toward the former explanation.

John

Jaguar27 said:
Thanks for the reply John...

I just checked the Tire and it's still solid as a rock after 3 Days with real air...

I may have done something to the Valve, I don't think so though, but it is possible...it was a brand new Tube BTW...

Next time I have a flat and I use my CO2 I'll see if the same thing happens, although it will be a different tube...

I did read that CO2 Cartridges contain Oil and it's best to hold the Cartridge upright whilst inflating?

I've also heard it's best not to inflate too quickly using one of these gadgets for fear of freezing the Valve stem internals...

I don't know any of this for sure...

But thanks again for your valuable input to these perplexing (to me at least) questions....
I haven't heard about the oil. I've actually never used a CO2 inflator, or the mini-pump constantly strapped to my downtube for that matter. I believe they're basically the same cartridge used in air pistols/rifles...which if I remember correctly DO have a small amount of oil, but that's many years ago.

I suppose it's logical about the freezing valve, although I haven't heard that one either. I HAVE heard that you need to be careful as it's very easy to overinflate a typical road tire. There's not a lot of volume to fill. What I've read indicates that you should use short "bursts" while inflating.

John

Mansmind said:
I haven't heard about the oil. I've actually never used a CO2 inflator, or the mini-pump constantly strapped to my downtube for that matter. I believe they're basically the same cartridge used in air pistols/rifles...which if I remember correctly DO have a small amount of oil, but that's many years ago.

I suppose it's logical about the freezing valve, although I haven't heard that one either. I HAVE heard that you need to be careful as it's very easy to overinflate a typical road tire. There's not a lot of volume to fill. What I've read indicates that you should use short "bursts" while inflating.

John

Well, if you ever decide to buy one I can highly recommend them, I use the 16gm Cartridge which will fill a Road Tire to around 125-135 psi, and yes, I always inflate with small bursts which is controlled by a little Trigger..in fact, I inflate the Tube to around 10 psi (a guesstimate), or maybe less, before I stuff it into the Tire to prevent a pinch flat...sometimes it's neccessary to let some air out to feed the last couple of inches in....but there's still ample left in the Cartridge to inflate my Road Tire...

I like them because they're fast, great for when you're riding in a group and don't want to keep them waiting...and of course, the main reason I like them is because they do get me Home...
:p

I use CO2 and it is the greatest gadget for filling a tire quickly.

But the first time I used it i just dumped the CO2 in and I froze the rubber stopper on the presta valve the tube worked great an held for me to finish the ride but I also had to refill with "real air" for my ride the following day.

Subsequent uses I pulsed the CO2 in and that had a better result with no freezing. A learned technique me thinks.

12g cylinder will fill a regular 700x23 tire to 90+ psi which is more than rideable. the 16g cylinders will fill to over 125psi as noted. I have noticed that the 12 g cyclinders are cheaper and more readily available FWIW.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm currently building another bike (I need one like I need another hole in the head).. and I may get one to carry on that one just to get a feel for it. It certainly would be a quicker operation, although I hope my luck holds out for not getting flats (knocking on wood).

John

I have always heard that it's best to refill your tubes with a pump once you return home or wherever you keep your floor pump. I starting using the 16cc cartridges about 3 months ago and have had to use them twice so far. My biggest annoyance is that they freeze my fingers. Instead of using your co2 to slightly inflat your tube, you can also blow enough air in with your mouth to get the tube in the tire without pinching it. I learned very quickly to carry at least 2 cartridges at all times, I usually have 3 on me. Nothing worse than getting two flats in one ride and having to call for help.

Hi OC,
I see you're pretty local to me, I live in Laguna N, I carry a couple of 16gm Cartridges too, so if we ever meet up on the road I'm sure we could get each other going between us...

That's a bloody good idea putting a few puffs in by mouth, it saves wasting precious co2...do you carry two tubes too? Or Patches?

A couple of weeks ago I had a puncture near the newport back-bay and probably about 6 roadies stopped to see if I had everything I needed, very nice of them, mind you, I always do the same if I come across someone who appears to have a problem...

Hope the rain stays away for the weekend around here!!

OCRoadie said:
I have always heard that it's best to refill your tubes with a pump once you return home or wherever you keep your floor pump. I starting using the 16cc cartridges about 3 months ago and have had to use them twice so far. My biggest annoyance is that they freeze my fingers. Instead of using your co2 to slightly inflat your tube, you can also blow enough air in with your mouth to get the tube in the tire without pinching it. I learned very quickly to carry at least 2 cartridges at all times, I usually have 3 on me. Nothing worse than getting two flats in one ride and having to call for help.

Jaguar27 said:
Hi OC,
I see you're pretty local to me, I live in Laguna N, I carry a couple of 16gm Cartridges too, so if we ever meet up on the road I'm sure we could get each other going between us...

That's a bloody good idea putting a few puffs in by mouth, it saves wasting precious co2...do you carry two tubes too? Or Patches?

A couple of weeks ago I had a puncture near the newport back-bay and probably about 6 roadies stopped to see if I had everything I needed, very nice of them, mind you, I always do the same if I come across someone who appears to have a problem...

Hope the rain stays away for the weekend around here!!
I usually carry two tubes, 3 cartridges and a patch kit. I know it sounds like a bit much, but I've been stranded before and would like to prevent it from happening again (at least due to flats). I acutually had a blow out flat in Back Bay about month ago when we were having a nasty heat spell, my tube was pinched when I used the co2 and I blew up my spare tube, neither of the tubes were patchable. I ended up calling my father-in-law and walking out of Back Bay. Since then I have started carrying any extra tube and cartridge. I too hope the rain stays away for the weekend as I plan on an 80 miler for Sunday.

well, you never know...sometimes one Tube is enough, sometimes not...so I don't blame you....

In the quieter months I normally ride the back-bay to seal beach and back, via the PCH...but during the summer/holiday months it's just too busy (too many bad drivers), so I do the BB regularly..then off up the river trail to Baranca Jeffrey and back, and mostly the whole thing twice...I work about 10 minutes away and live 15 minutes away, so it's pretty handy...

It looks like the weekend is going to be nice, so have fun on Sunday!!
Where are you riding to/from?

OCRoadie said:
I usually carry two tubes, 3 cartridges and a patch kit. I know it sounds like a bit much, but I've been stranded before and would like to prevent it from happening again (at least due to flats). I acutually had a blow out flat in Back Bay about month ago when we were having a nasty heat spell, my tube was pinched when I used the co2 and I blew up my spare tube, neither of the tubes were patchable. I ended up calling my father-in-law and walking out of Back Bay. Since then I have started carrying any extra tube and cartridge. I too hope the rain stays away for the weekend as I plan on an 80 miler for Sunday.

Jaguar 27-
I know what you mean about the bad drivers in Orange County. Sunday I'll start from Fountain Valley (right by Fry's). River trail to PCH south, up Newport Coast Drive, Bonita Canyton to Culver to Irvine Blvd south/east, up El Toro, left at Cook's Corner, Santiago Canyon to Jamboree back to Culver and the river trail to Back Bay and back up PCH to home. It's about 82 miles, I do a lot of variations of this ride from 55 miles to this one which is the longest. I have a Mt Palomar century next Saturday, so this is my last good warm up. Enjoy the weekend. By the way, there's never much traffic up in Irvine in the El Toro/Santiago Canyon area, I've found that to be one of my favorite local areas.

Now that sounds like a great ride, I can visualize most of it untill the Cooks corner-Jamboree I haven't been up that way for years...

the worst stretch I've vere ridden is along Irvine center drive to Moulton Pkwy, the part where it intersects El Torro Road (Past leaisure world)...the bike lane disappears...I've only done that route once when I was riding from Irvine to Home in Laguna N...it was so scary I had to ride on the sidewalk..

Incidentaly, my wife had a really bad crash on the bike path that goes from the backbay up to Culver/Jeffery, right under the Michelson underpass, she hit the Kerb and sumersaulted, she cracked her Helmet etc etc, we had to call the Paramedics...that was about a month ago...she had concussion for a couple of weeks and some very bad abrasions amongst other things...but she still loves to ride, it didn't put her off...

Anyway, hope you have a good ride and good luck with the Century..we'll be doing the backbay a few times tommorrow (sunday), maybe 35 miles..or more...

OCRoadie said:
Jaguar 27-
I know what you mean about the bad drivers in Orange County. Sunday I'll start from Fountain Valley (right by Fry's). River trail to PCH south, up Newport Coast Drive, Bonita Canyton to Culver to Irvine Blvd south/east, up El Toro, left at Cook's Corner, Santiago Canyon to Jamboree back to Culver and the river trail to Back Bay and back up PCH to home. It's about 82 miles, I do a lot of variations of this ride from 55 miles to this one which is the longest. I have a Mt Palomar century next Saturday, so this is my last good warm up. Enjoy the weekend. By the way, there's never much traffic up in Irvine in the El Toro/Santiago Canyon area, I've found that to be one of my favorite local areas.