CO2 Inflators

kspangler

Feb 8, 2004
What is the most common tool for inflating tires while on the road [flat repairs]?

rule62 said:
Is this a trick question?
I have a Planet Bike, Red Zellpin. I have only had to use it once, but I was pretty impressed. I had a CO2 inflator when they came out about 15 years ago.....it was a cheap one (I was in middle school or something). That one was junk, so I was a little leary about using this one.

The Red Zepplin was like a dream to use.
1019b.jpg

I think I got it at Nashbar for like $8 or something.

Robbie

rule62 said:
Is this a trick question?

No, I was just wondering. Around here, it seems as though everyone uses mini pumps. I personally carry a CO2 cart system. I've used it once on the road with no-so-good luck; ran out of air before getting the tire inflated properly. Now carry three carts. So.......

I use a zefal hpx frame pump. I always have it on the bike, it doesn't take space in my seat pack, and I don't have to worry about having enough cartridges. You don't even know it is on the bike. It will pump up to 120 psi no problem. It is amazing how quickly you can pump a tire up.I carry my park levers,tube,patch kit, and a piece of tyvek(incase I puncture tire) in my seat pack. It's tight fit but I use a rather small pack so it stays tucked up under my seat niceley.

I agree with Manvell. Why take CO2 when you can take a mini or frame pump, which will never run out of air with the assistance of elbow grease!;)

CO2 make sense if you are in a mtb race where you are in a hurry to change a flat and there is no support around, why bother the risk of something going wrong and having to walk home on a training ride? :confused:

Exactly...the trick with CO2 inflators is not running out. :p

But yeah, CO2's can run out. Mini pumps can be too small to get enough tire pressure. A frame pump by that comparison may be pretty tough to beat.

Anyone have any experience with the real world pluses and minuses between use of the different models of Innovation's inflators (Pro, Plus etc.)? I see on their website that they have changed and eliminated models again though many of the older ones are all that is currently available.

CO2 pump system. I used to use a framepump but no more. Two cartridges and the pump unit (which fits snug on the bottom of my seat pack) take hardly any weight and a 16g cart will get good psi very fast, while a 12g cart will get me home. I dont like the look of a frame pump, I didnt like how hard my frame pump actually was to get good psi for its trouble, and my new frame doesnt have the slots for it anyway. Cartridges arent expensive in 12- or 24-packs either. Just be careful what you pay for them.

graf zeppelin said:
CO2 pump system. I used to use a framepump but no more. Two cartridges and the pump unit (which fits snug on the bottom of my seat pack) take hardly any weight and a 16g cart will get good psi very fast, while a 12g cart will get me home. I dont like the look of a frame pump, I didnt like how hard my frame pump actually was to get good psi for its trouble, and my new frame doesnt have the slots for it anyway. Cartridges arent expensive in 12- or 24-packs either. Just be careful what you pay for them.
Graf,
What brand/model do you use. I'm looking for such a combo that will easily fit into a small saddle pack. Thanks.

Slider77 said:
Graf,
What brand/model do you use. I'm looking for such a combo that will easily fit into a small saddle pack. Thanks.

I use the Innovations Ultrafalte Plus. Here is a picture and info:

http://www.all3sports.com/product/categoryID/74/Manufacturer/0/ProductID/3740

I got it probably early 2003 if I remember correctly. There may be something slightly smaller or lighter etc but I'm too happy with this one to look. Its more than adequate. It accepts either 12g or 16g cartidges.

Its quite small - picture makes it look large for some reason. :D My saddle pack has some elastic underneath it and I slide the pump into there. It should fit in most packs (but it depends on what you carry). I suggest jury-rigging something to hold the pump under the pack if you can. I carry one cartridge always in the saddle bag, and one backwards in the pump (so its not engaged). You need to put a piece of cloth in there when the cartridge is in storage so it doesnt rattle, or you could also put the second cart in the pack. Its pretty neat because a few times I have gotten Schrader types back up and running again too. Very cheap and effective - just buy your carts in 12- or 24-packs online.

Bull cack, CO2 inflators are way too much hassle, be a man and use a pump. Plus you can let some aggression out on them things, especially if you're a bit stressed from the flat.

I don't know if this was said but I've seen CO2 inflators that have the capability to be a pump too just incase you run out of CO2

I have a pump, but I commute in the winter and fixing a flat in the middle of nowhere is a cold proposition. I keep an Innovations Ultra - Pro and two cartridges in my seat bag until the weather heats up.

kspangler said:
What is the most common tool for inflating tires while on the road [flat repairs]?
I purchased the co2 cartridge last year after my riding partner got a flat and used a co2 to inflate the tire. It work great. I have never had to use co2 myself (have not had a flat in 3 years. about the time I bought my Michelin Pro race tires) Make sure you use 16 gram cartridges

Alpha said:
I purchased the co2 cartridge last year after my riding partner got a flat and used a co2 to inflate the tire. It work great. I have never had to use co2 myself (have not had a flat in 3 years. about the time I bought my Michelin Pro race tires) Make sure you use 16 gram cartridges
NO flats in 3 years!? And with lightweights no less. Man I want to find out what tire god you're praying to!! :p

Yeah no flats in 3 years is pretty amazing considering i get at least five flats carrying the bike out of the house...but no I've got the Michelin pros too and I have had way too many flats....

Slider77 said:
NO flats in 3 years!? And with lightweights no less. Man I want to find out what tire god you're praying to!! :p
I always got flats with my Contis' but so far I've been fortunate with the michelins.
Now that I have said that it will be a lot of new tubes this year.

I also use Michelin Pro Race and got my first flat last week. Prior to that I had Michelin Carbon for a year and experience about 5 flats all related to issues over than the tire (nail, shards, spoke).
I am using a Barbieri Vision Air that is a combo mini/co2 pump with a pressure gauge. It works very well. The trick is to release pressure slowly. The first time I opened the valve too fast and the security rubber plug got ejected. Last week I release the air slowly and all was perfect, fast, and easy. It takes 16gr cartridges so it easily inflates a 700/23 tire to 120psi.
You can get this pump frpm Glory Cycles:
http://www.glorycycles.com/baviairpu.html