CO2 Inflators

GaryG wrote:

> "Guy Goldich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:pfCdnRUHuuYIqO7dRVn-
> [email protected]...

>> I've used a Zefal HPX frame pump for the last 15 years or
>> so without problems. I usually carry 2 inner tubes and a
>> patch kit.
>>
>> However, at my local bike shop, my eye has been straying
>> over to the CO2 inflators. Most of my rides are between
>> 20 and 40 miles. I've heard that since CO2 is a smaller
>> molecule, tires lose air quicker.What has been people's
>> experience with them? Viable alternative? Weight &
>> reliability?

In my experience, flats come in multiples. There's usually
more of what caused the first one. So I'd never want to rely
on an inflator.

> Perhaps it's a California thing, but none of my road
> biking friends carries a frame pump. Some of my mountain
> biking friends carry both CO2 and a mini-pump inside their
> Camelbacks...but, they typically ride far off the beaten
> track, on trails with sharp rocks and thorns.

It's a CA thing to carry a cell phone at all times too. :)
And to draw attention to yourself with your "adventures."

I've always carried a Blackburn Mammoth, which will bring a
MTB tire to full pressure easily and quickly. It fits in a
Cameback, and while it's big for jersey pocket it'll still
fit. It weighs less than an inflator and a couple of large
cartridges, and never runs out of air. However, it's no good
beyond 60psi or so, so it's no good for road tires.

> On my normal road rides (25-50 miles), I carry 2 or 3
> cartridges in a small seat bag, along with a spare tube
> (and, sometimes a patch kit). On longer and/or remote
> rides, I add an extra tube or two. With this setup, I've
> not been stranded once in the last 5 years (roughly 15,000
> miles). Perhaps I've been lucky, but for me a frame pump
> seems superfluous and a bit archaic, and I'd rather not
> have anything extra hanging on the bike. Of course, YMMV.

I've been carrying an inflator since I bought my new road
bike in October. I never got around to purchasing a frame
pump. I won the inflator in a raffle, so I've been carrying
it ever since. No flats yet. I know I'll pay for this!
Anyway, a traditional frame pump probably won't fit on my
bike, because it has weird gussets, like a carbon frame.
Otherwise I'd carry one. Most of my longer and/or remote
rides are with friends (who have pumps), so I don't worry
about it too much. But if I was doing these rides by myself,
I'd definately be pump-shopping.

The quickest way to ******** your friends and family is
to be calling for rides every time you have the slightest
mechanical problem. It only reinforces the idea that
cyclists are reckless, irresponsible flakes. We don't
need that.

Matt O.

In article <bJq*[email protected]>, David Damerell
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Guy Goldich <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I've used a Zefal HPX frame pump for the last 15 years or
> >so without problems. I usually carry 2 inner tubes and a
> >patch kit. However, at my local bike shop, my eye has
> >been straying over to the CO2 inflators.
>
> You should consider the correct technique for using these;
> when they let you down, stand at the side of the road
> looking pathetic until someone with an HPX (like me) comes
> by, mocks you gently, and pumps up your tyre.
>
> CO2's all very well _except_ for the worst-case scenario,
> and then you're completely shafted. In contrast with a
> patch kit as well as spare tubes you're good for eight or
> so punctures in one day, and if by some hideous mischance
> that _does_ happen, you only have to scrounge another
> patch off a passer-by.
>
> If you can live with the idea that very occasionally
> you'll be begging cager friends to come and rescue you,
> fine; otherwise, stick with the pump.
>
> Don't be concerned, though, about the extra leakage of
> CO2. It won't make any difference on the day, and later
> you can always reinflate it with air at home.
> --

Wise words David. I found out the hard way that a pump is
definitely preferable to these C02 inflators: The third or
so time I required the inflator (I don't recall the make)
the inflator nozzle's piercing pin (screws down over the CO2
cartridge and pierces it's top) sheared off!

I was duly chastened by a fellow cyclist who lent me his
pump. When you most depend on your equipment is not the time
to have it fail.

luke